• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Mesa Lone Star Classic and Special Questions

somedude

Tonally, how does the LSC and LSS differ? Are they the same amp with different output sections? Or are they totally different monsters?

I've been told that the LSC is more along the lines of a hotrodded Twin, and the LSS is more along the lines of a Matchless. Is this accurate?

Lastly, how do either of these amps sound in their low power modes? Most amps I've used sound kind of anemic in the lower setting... does the Lone Star do the same?

I'm going to be checking out a Classic in a few days, but I'm thinking that the Special is more along the lines of what I want.

powermatt99

To my ears, the LSS is like a hot-rodded Baseman with a hint of AC30. The LSC has more headroom and what is perceived as more punch (especially with EL34s).

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
The LSS sounds completely different then the LSC ...
For my purposes the LSS doesn't cut it with a loud band because of it's lack of headroom ...

I swear by the LSC ... as for being a hot-rod Twin ... I don't know about that ..
However, I replaced my twin with an LSC since it's capable of both loud & Sweet Fender type cleans ...

Here's a pic of my setup:

JB Eckl

5 Watt single-ended mode is the main reason I got the LSS. I need to record and practice at lower volumes (still loud...) and have it sound like a real, working amp. Especially on the dirty channel.

somedude

I would be really surprised if someone couldn't find a good housekeeper in California. Ha ha! No seriously though. You don't need tons of headroom to cut it in a live situation. If you can't get enough headroom with a quartet of EL84s then I don't know what you're expecting man. Nobody buys the Lonestar Special for the headroom, but on the same token, it's not lacking headroom. That's like saying a Matchless C-30 can't cut it live because it doesn't have enough headroom.
I'm interpreting what he's saying to be that it's not clean enough for him at the volume he wants to play at, which I can totally understand. I sold a previous 4xEL84 amp for the same reason... however I'm toying with the idea again and trying to work out which amp will best serve my needs.

Anyway, back on topic

Will the LSC do tweed tones? Or is it more of a blackface?

One of the other amps I'm looking at is a Bassman RI, as I want an amp that'll grind away some old school American rock tone.

picnic

Two of my favorite amps. The LSC 2x12 replaced my TRRI. Actually, left it in the dirt. Plenty of Fendery TR clean, but so much more. With the extra knobs to control the amount of gain, you can dial in DR and TR tones dead on
My LSS with a Wizard now is just pure fun to play. More headroom helps due to the Wizard. I had to let my Bogner Metropolis and Dr Z Maz 38 go. The LSS had both of them beat for my needs.

somedude

Two of my favorite amps. The LSC 2x12 replaced my TRRI. Actually, left it in the dirt. Plenty of Fendery TR clean, but so much more. With the extra knobs to control the amount of gain, you can dial in DR and TR tones dead on
My LSS with a Wizard now is just pure fun to play. More headroom helps due to the Wizard. I had to let my Bogner Metropolis and Dr Z Maz 38 go. The LSS had both of them beat for my needs.
TR = Twin Reverb
DR = Deluxe Reverb

Correct?

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
Due to the larger cab and 6L6 tubes, the LSC has much more low end and overall fullness than the LSS.
If you want a bedroom/recording amp, the LSS is fine, but turned up a bit, they sound nothing alike.

Anyone who disagrees should place them side by side, copy the settings and ABY compare them.

pjrhd28

Platinum Supporting Member
Have had both, still have the LSS, sold the LSC and probably shouldn't have.

LSC- Fender, SRV, headroom, blackface, little bit of tweed, "oomph", BIG 4 6L6 amp.

LSS- jangle, lighter, whispy, compression, less headroom, Dr Z Maz's, can be "Marshally" with the thicker control engaged. At the 5 watt setting, its the best "light,whispy" clean I've ever heard.

Both amps have great reverb (adjustable per channel) , AMAZING flexibility, great pedigrees, two channel tone stacks. solo boost, and I NEVER found them too complicated ot too difficult to dial in.

I'll take my LSS out sometime with no footswitch. Channel 2, 35 watts, thicker engaged, and I'm off to the races.

somedude

Have had both, still have the LSS, sold the LSC and probably shouldn't have.

LSC- Fender, SRV, headroom, blackface, little bit of tweed, "oomph", BIG 4 6L6 amp.

LSS- jangle, lighter, whispy, compression, less headroom, Dr Z Maz's, can be "Marshally" with the thicker control engaged. At the 5 watt setting, its the best "light,whispy" clean I've ever heard.

Both amps have great reverb (adjustable per channel) , AMAZING flexibility, great pedigrees, two channel tone stacks. solo boost, and I NEVER found them too complicated ot too difficult to dial in.

I'll take my LSS out sometime with no footswitch. Channel 2, 35 watts, thicker engaged, and I'm off to the races.
Cool. I'm basically looking for something that'll do clean to mean rhythm on one channel using the guitar's volume knob, then kick on a solo boost using the other. The fact that the LSS will get Marshally is somewhat of a selling point for me as I'm looking for that old Bassman vibe (with a little more flexibility than an actual Bassman).

I was just reading the specs again and noticed something... is the LSS tube rectified only?

thirstypirate

Both amp are tube or ss rectified on the lower 2 settings and diode only on the 100 or 35 setting.

Last edited:

SRQGuitar

Gold Supporting Member
I have an LSC which is switchable between tube and ss and I thought the Special was the same way but I was wrong. My bad...
I was looking for a question I knew the answer to for my first post, which wasn't easy because I don't know much :D

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
I would be really surprised if someone couldn't find a good housekeeper in California. Ha ha! No seriously though. You don't need tons of headroom to cut it in a live situation. If you can't get enough headroom with a quartet of EL84s then I don't know what you're expecting man. Nobody buys the Lonestar Special for the headroom, but on the same token, it's not lacking headroom. That's like saying a Matchless C-30 can't cut it live because it doesn't have enough headroom.

Let's dispell the myths here man so we don't misguide people. I think it's more appropriate to say it doesn't have enough headroom for you in your band situation. Just my honest opinion.

Cheers
Actually that setup was in a huge studio just last week
and that's rain mud from my boots scrapped off by the chords ...
(I know, I know ... it's a ugly mess ...:)

By headroom I simply meant clean headroom ... (i.e. no breakup )
Of course low wattage amps can cut through a loud man ...
probably should have made that clear (pun intended ...)

Foxtrot

Todays lesson on Home Economics.

Point 1: Having lots of nice pedals, a couple great guitars, and a killer amp can be very enjoyable.

Point 2: Spending too much on those items leaves a person with no money left to buy a broom or duster.

Point 3: Most human females enjoy a clean environment free of sinus-molesting dust bunnies.

Net Point: Don't let gear become a c$ck-blocker.:banana

Back on topic, I've no experience with either amp, but am interested in the LSS.

jcoggins7

My brother has a LSC and I've played several LSSs and I like the LSC better...then again, I'm a 6L6 fan and don't generally like EL84s. The gain structure on both is the same but they sound very different due to the different tubes, as others have already said.

Jazzgear

Let's dispell the myths here man so we don't misguide people. I think it's more appropriate to say it doesn't have enough headroom for you in your band situation. Just my honest opinion.

Cheers
When I had my LSS I had no problem being heard in a 12 piece band in front of 3K+ people. Of course when you're playing a large venue you have to mic it -- as no different with the LSC.

Jazzgear

5 Watt single-ended mode is the main reason I got the LSS. I need to record and practice at lower volumes (still loud...) and have it sound like a real, working amp. Especially on the dirty channel.
For the record you can get a close ...I mean very close LSS tone out of the LSC (using EL84s via Yellow Jackets).....

it gets even closer if you have the latest LSC with the 10 watt Class A mode.

So if I were choosing, I'd go for the LSC for its versatility....

Headroom when you need it unmic'd, 6L6, 6V6, EL34, EL84 tubes et al'

I miss having sold my LSC, don't really miss the LSS.

Trending Topics