• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Mesa Lonestar Classic vs. Two-Rock Cleans

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
I have quite a bit of experience with TR's, so I am familiar with them as a sort of 'beefed up' Fender when clean...

I've become interested in Mesa recently for a little more switching variety. The LSC, particulalry, has caught my attention.

What are the differences/similarities in the LSC clean vs something like a Classic Reverb? Are they redundant? Does one take a range of pedals (boosts, overdive, fuzz, etc) better than the other?

What about against a Marshall clean like a Germino Club 40 (ie bass circuit, which also has great, warm cleans and takes pedals great)?

Thoughts on the LSC, within this context?

Thanks!

vmjoe

I posted this in another thread.

There are some indifferent opinions so far. My experience with both Lone Star amps were very positive. I believe they sound as good and are as well built as many hand wired amps. The Classic is also more versatile than most single channel amps. To back up my opinion, there is still discussion about these amps and they're still part of the Mesa lineup. Several other Mesa's have been discontinued since the LS's were introduced.

One thing I always recommend is to experiment with tubes. Changing preamp tubes in certain stages can both improve the tone a little and lower the idle noise.

Another thing I always had a tech do is add bias pots. This is a very simple and cost effective change. These amps tend to be biased on the cold side. Good for power tube longevity, but proper bias can also improve the tone a little.

Experiment with speakers too. This will also have an impact. The LS's are exceptional imo.

Forgot to mention. The Reverb is excellent.
As far as the comparison with a Two Rock Classic Reverb, I believe the LS Classic will hold its own against most any similar amp. It really is an excellent amp imo.

Dad love mom

I have quite a bit of experience with TR's, so I am familiar with them as a sort of 'beefed up' Fender when clean...

I've become interested in Mesa recently for a little more switching variety. The LSC, particulalry, has caught my attention.

What are the differences/similarities in the LSC clean vs something like a Classic Reverb? Are they redundant? Does one take a range of pedals (boosts, overdive, fuzz, etc) better than the other?

What about against a Marshall clean like a Germino Club 40 (ie bass circuit, which also has great, warm cleans and takes pedals great)?

Thoughts on the LSC, within this context?

Thanks!
Personally, I think you'd be best off with a Two Rock Studio 50-15, a Wampler Tumnus, and a Tubescreamer Variant. You'd have a plethora of tones at your disposal, a versatile tone stack in the Two Rock to work with, and a great hardwired amp.

https://reverb.com/p/two-rock-studio-50-15-head-2015

Why anyone would sell this amp is beyond my understanding ...

StratStringSlinger

Silver Supporting Member
It depends on one's point of view; TR cleans in my opinion are quite different than typical Fender blackface or Tweed cleans. TR cleans to me have huge round deep lows and a softer high end.

I have a Park P50LTD which is probably about the same amp as a Germino Club 50. Nice clean tones but definitely different than a Two-Rock. I actually plan to convert to a JTM45/P45 to have it geared more towards cleans/edge of break up tones.

Haven't played the Mesa LSC; or at least not in recent recollection. I didn't even know that Mesa had an amp with a clean tone that rivals Two-Rock? Which Mesa player is known for their clean tone?

Last edited:
It depends on one's point of view; TR cleans in my opinion are quite different than typical Fender blackface or Tweed cleans. TR cleans to me have huge round deep lows and a softer high end.

I have a Park P50LTD which is probably about the same amp as a Germino Club 50. Nice clean tones but definitely different than a Two-Rock. I actually plan to convert to a JTM45/P45 to have it geared more towards cleans/edge of break up tones.

Haven't played the Mesa LSC; or at least not in recent recollection. I didn't even know that Mesa had an amp with a clean tone that rivals Two-Rock? Which Mesa player is known for their clean tone?

Andy Timmons has a pretty awesome clean sound and coincidentialy he uses the Lonestar. The prog guys also seem to dig the clean tones that Petrucci gets from his Boogies (a bit too clinical for my tastes).

vmjoe

Andy Timmons has a pretty awesome clean sound and coincidentialy he uses the Lonestar. The prog guys also seem to dig the clean tones that Petrucci gets from his Boogies (a bit too clinical for my tastes).
My Classic Reverb has a double action mini-toggle that changes the overall voicing. In the up position the tone is more rounded (Two-Rock clean). In the down position the tone more closely replicates a Fender Blackface (brighter, sharper highs; more mid-scooped; deeper lows).

stratpaulguy86 is correct. Part of Andy Timmons primary tone is created with a Lone Star Classic. The LSC has Black Face/Classic Reverb tonal characteristics.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
My Classic Reverb has a double action mini-toggle that changes the overall voicing. In the up position the tone is more rounded (Two-Rock clean). In the down position the tone more closely replicates a Fender Blackface (brighter, sharper highs; more mid-scooped; deeper lows).

stratpaulguy86 is correct. Part of Andy Timmons primary tone is created with a Lone Star Classic. The LSC has Black Face/Classic Reverb tonal characteristics.
yes, i think both amps (LSC and Classic Reverb) are fender-based so i was thinking there could be some overlap.

i guess im wondering if the clean on the LSC is comparable (possibly even 'better' if one if looking for fat and warm), since TR has been sort of my benchmark for cleans...because i then could conceivably get the benefit of ch2 for a bit of boost with pedals and/or more gain on its own...

vmjoe

yes, i think both amps (LSC and Classic Reverb) are fender-based so i was thinking there could be some overlap.

i guess im wondering if the clean on the LSC is comparable (possibly even 'better' if one if looking for fat and warm), since TR has been sort of my benchmark for cleans...because i then could conceivably get the benefit of ch2 for a bit of boost with pedals and/or more gain on its own...
I definitely wouldn't say the Lone Star Classic has better cleans, but certainly comparable. It has been awhile since I owned the LSC, but it is an exceptional amp imo. Even though it has two channels, I wouldn't even say it's much more versatile than my Classic Reverb. The CR has the FET and tone stack bypass which gives you some versatility, but the LS gain channel will probably give you more saturation. Neither will give you metal without help.

The Lone Star amps are underrated imo.

ToneDeVille

The LCC is a beast of an amp. It's build like a tank and the circuitry and tube assembly of 6L6's replicate clean like a Fender Twin so it takes pedals extremely well, but there's more...the 2nd drive channel that gives you the Mesa rectifier drive.
It's a great amp...and in the 2x12 combo config it's as heavy as an old Twin. I've had one for 12 years and it's never let me down. Plus having the 100/50/40 watt switching makes it a very versatile amp. I have several other good tube amps but when I want to break out the big guns I take the Mesa LCC with an extension cab.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
I definitely wouldn't say the Lone Star Classic has better cleans, but certainly comparable. It has been awhile since I owned the LSC, but it is an exceptional amp imo. Even though it has two channels, I wouldn't even say it's much more versatile than my Classic Reverb. The CR has the FET and tone stack bypass which gives you some versatility, but the LS gain channel will probably give you more saturation. Neither will give you metal without help.

The Lone Star amps are underrated imo.
i only meant better from the perspective of perhaps 'warmer' and more fat feeling under the fingers - but, perhaps, that is not so in comparison??

NortheastHick

Silver Supporting Member
The LCC is a beast of an amp. It's build like a tank and the circuitry and tube assembly of 6L6's replicate clean like a Fender Twin so it takes pedals extremely well, but there's more...the 2nd drive channel that gives you the Mesa rectifier drive.
It's a great amp...and in the 2x12 combo config it's as heavy as an old Twin. I've had one for 12 years and it's never let me down. Plus having the 100/50/40 watt switching makes it a very versatile amp. I have several other good tube amps but when I want to break out the big guns I take the Mesa LCC with an extension cab.
No offense but this makes me wonder if you have ever played a Rectifier. The OD channel of the LSC has absolutely nothing in common with a Recto. I thought the LSC OD was horrendous.

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
No offense but this makes me wonder if you have ever played a Rectifier. The OD channel of the LSC has absolutely nothing in common with a Recto. I thought the LSC OD was horrendous.
on the other hand I have heard it doing super d tones.

otolathe

i've had them both for a while. There is something rigid and one-dimensional about the LSC, and it cannot be attributed to the rectifier. I got bored of the LSC faster. YMMV. You know we would not be compulsive amp buyers if we were ever satisfied with anything, but I am approaching the realization that no matter what amp I use I always sound like me. My vote goes to the Classic Reverb.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
i've had them both for a while. There is something rigid and one-dimensional about the LSC, and it cannot be attributed to the rectifier. I got bored of the LSC faster. YMMV. You know we would not be compulsive amp buyers if we were ever satisfied with anything, but I am approaching the realization that no matter what amp I use I always sound like me. My vote goes to the Classic Reverb.
haha - yeah, im starting to realize that too but not ready to give in lol

moreover, ive started getting into pedals and rack gear more and that is making me realize maybe i just need a great base tone (as a constant) and to build around that...

i am sort of surprised by your LSC experience, only because i had not heard that concern before (not that i doubt it at all, of course) - this is/was sort of the whole reason for this thread, as i was worried the mesa might be a little underwhelming like that.

given so many positive reviews - i guess im just going to need to try for myself.

otolathe

I know what you mean about the "great base tone". For me, that was and is a Victorilux with 15" Weber speaker and 2 6L6's. I just hate using pedals and would love one amp with one side clean, the other dirty. In the Two-Rock World, I've totally mind-and-soul melded with a Jet Signature 12" combo and the Akoya head I have. Giggingg a Balthazar Audio Systems Film Noir 50 at the moment. Got a RedPlate Magica on order.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom