Mesa Lonestar Special vs Bogner Metropolis

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jazzgear, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Jazzgear

Jazzgear Supporting Member

I like them both, though I think the Bogner has a better clean tone (actually much better)....

I have an opportunity to buy either for the same price (used of course)...

The Bogner is the standard offering (30 watt version), and the Mesa is in a custom premier exotic hardwood finish.

I will use this for a variety of music genres, except hard rock/metal. So either one would fit the bill

The Mesa has the effects loop, Reverb per channel, power scales of 5/15/30 watts.

Give me your opinions.....

BTW both amps are priced, well below used market prices.

2. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I have a Lonestar Special (1x12 combo) which I will be selling to fund other purchases. That being said, it is a great amp. It has one of the better reverbs I've heard (for whatever that is worth), and a lot of tonal flexibility. Each channel can be tonally shaped to what you want, and there is reverb for each of the channels. Also, each channel have independent 5 - 15 - 30 w switching, so again, opportunities are endless. When I got it, it took me some tweaking to get used to all the controls, but that is what to be expected of such an amp. In addition to a great clean and drive channel, the amp takes pedals as well. Either in front of the amp, or through the effect loop. With my pedalboard it was noiseless. It also has the solo boost function, which allows you to use the footpedal coming with the amp to give it a bit extra thump if needed.

For most styles of music except metal, it is a great amp.

I have not tried the Bogner though, so I can't compare.

3. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I have the Mesa LSS and like it a lot. If you are looking for a tremendously versitile amp that can give you many flavors/sounds and lots of flexibility and switchability (if that's a word), it's a great choice. I know of no other like priced amp w/ the same flexibility (other than another Mesa perhaps). That said, if you're looking for a single sound or sound type, I suspect there may be other amps that would suit you better as the complexity of the Mesa will likely have its drawbacks in terms of ruggedness/dependability.

I have no experience with the Bogner.

4. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I have had both. The LSS a few years ago was a beautiful sounding amp but lacking the clean headroom department. It had a nice clean but we don't mic the amps and it got lost in the mix. Still it was one of the best amps I have ever had and if my gigging situation changes, (quieter bands) I'd buy another in a second. I exchanged the LSS for an LSC at GC.

I use a Metropolis now 75% of the time and it's a 15 watter loaded with a Private Jack. The tone is much more 3-D to me than the LSS was. Almost swirly, syrupy, thick clean with bells and chimes. The Schizo switch is a great knob and the treble/bass knobs allow me to really tweak the tones. Reverb is stellar. Gain knob can put you into some some nice breakup. I keep the amp as loud as as it can go clean then use a Red Snapper for grit and boost. Nice combo.
    I'm looking for someone with a 30watter who wants to swap for my 15. these amps show up here every few months for sale. So far the Metropolis has been my favorite amp I've owned.

5. Jazzgear

Not an option...as I already have alot of amps (none el84s), and the esposa will not go for it. I am getting rid of one of my may amps to fund one of the two.

I am mainly a Mesa amp guy....but am looking to other options.../and I have played both amps (and briefly owned the LSS before trading it for a LSC).

I have to say that the cleans are much more impressive and 3D on the Metropolis...something I did not expect from EL84s. Plus there's alot more clean headroom on the Metro.

However, the Metro is loud, and I want the power-scaling (or lower wattage options).

So that is my dilemma.

6. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

"I have to say that the cleans are much more impressive and 3D on the Metropolis...something I did not expect from EL84s. Plus there's alot more clean headroom on the Metro."
    Yeah, it's the cleanest sounding EL84 amp I'ver played.

"However, the Metro is loud, and I want the power-scaling (or lower wattage options)."

I tried a 12at7 and a 12au7 in V1. The t toned down the gain a little. The u took a lot of volume and gain away. The 5-15-30 feature onthe LSS is definitely a great tool to have.

7. jmieske

jmieske Member

Metropolis everyday of the week. Spend some time with it and tweak it for your guitar. I have one, and liked it but wasn't sold until I worked it with my board and my guitars.

8. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

Since this thread started, I bought an LSS off TGP. Today I took my Bogner Metropolis to the UPS store. Sad tearful goodbye.
    Both amps put a big smile on my face when I heard either. The smile was just a little bigger with the Mesa
    My gear as of last week

[​IMG]

9. Crikey

Crikey Member

Jazzgear, how did you resolve your dilemma?

Crikey

10. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I have a Metropolis (30 watt w/reverb) and I while I marvel at the flexibility of the Mesa and the cutting edge circuitry, I cannot avoid the fact that the Bogner is more articulate, responsive, and rewarding. Granted, the Mesa is a two channel amp with an intense overdrive channel (that kicks A$$), effects loop, power switching, and 34 different master volumes, but the Bogner just makes you want to play and play and play.

I use mine with a Dr Z Airbrake when the need arises as the Metropolis doesn't want to be quiet. If you read the documentation, you'll find the the volume knob is only controlling volume for the first 1/3 of the knob's travel and after that it's all about thickness and saturation. Also, the amp is much more managable with 1x12 than with 2x12's, where it can be a tone-dripping terror!

I refuse to speak ill of the Mesa as I also have a Maverick, but the Bogner has the mojo IMHO.

11. Jazzgear

Despite all the great features on the Mesa, the Metropolis is just breath taking. It has that sound. So I ordered a Metropolis.

Actually, the tough decision was not between the Lonestar special...but actually between the Metro and the Shiva.....but opted for the Metro since I already have a regular Lonestar Classic (6L6) that I dig very much...and like a bit more than the Shiva.