• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Mesa Lonestar V2 OR Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue with pedals?

swanusa

This has been going on my mind for long so thought I would just ask the pros of this board. Basically I need an amp which has wonderful cleans and nice creamy overdrive. For Blues/Classic Rock/Jazz/Metal maybe. I have had the Mesa Lonestar Special and loved it but had to sell it before moving. Looking at the clips and reading about the Lonestar Classic V2 (with the 10 watt setting), I was interested in buying it. But if I can get good sound with the Fender DRRI and some pedals like OCD, Mayo etc which I already have, I wouldn't want to spend 1600+ on Lonestar. Most importantly, I need an amp which I can use in my apartment with out disturbing neighbors and an amp I can do quality recordings with. I have a Les Paul and a std deluxe Strat.

Please help decide.

somedude

My vote goes for the Lonestar. I briefly had a DRRI and I never bonded with it... could've just been me however as lots of dudes like them. I eventually tried both Lonestars and took home the LSS due to it's ability to sound more overdriven at lower volumes than the LSC.

While the clean channel is outstanding (IMO), once you add in the lead channel, solo boost, reverb, FX loop, and 3 separate power modes and it's an all around winner and gigging monster in my books.

pjrhd28

Platinum Supporting Member
I really think a used Lonestar Classic in the $900 to $1100 range is one of the best buys in the amp universe. Go used without the 10 watt option.

So many great tones. great cleans, TONS of flexibility.

I think the LSC is the better choice espeically if you're going to do a lot of recording.

davetcan

I sold my DRRI when I picked up an LSS head. Cleans were better (imho), multiple power option on either channel, and a great OD channel. No contest.

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
I really think a used Lonestar Classic in the $900 to $1100 range is one of the best buys in the amp universe. Go used without the 10 watt option.

So many great tones. great cleans, TONS of flexibility. Also, if you go with the LSC, you can basically turn it into an LSS by adding EL84s and Yellowjackets. Two amps for the price of one.

I think the LSC is the better choice espeically if you're going to do a lot of recording.

AGREE!!!

LSC is a modern classic IMHO.

Incredible clean, add a Marshally voiced pedal for crunch rhythms and dial in a killer lead tone.*

*TURN the BASS control almost all the way off. If you don't like the way it looks, (i know...some guys can't stand that it looks weird with the bass turned down....:jo) loosen the screw and repositon the knob to wherever you want it to LOOK like it's at.

picnic

I'd go back to the LSS for apartment level sounds. No pedals needed and at the 5 watt setting, the grind is excellent.

Steve73

I own both of them (LSS and DRRI) and while both are great, the LSS is better in every way I think. The DRRI you have to run pretty hot to get any tone out of it. The LSS sounds great at very low levels.

Eric Dahlberg

The DRRI is a strange choice here, a Supersonic or a Hot Rod Deluxe (clean channel only) share more in common with the sound of a Lonestar. Anyway, just splurge on the Lonestar, you already know you love it.

zosozep7

Platinum Supporting Member
For me its the DRRI hands down! I have the Lonestar 50/100 combo and its just not for me. I am selling my LS and have it up for sale. I wouldnt sell it for nothing less then $1200 bucks though. Its barely used.

Gtrman100

Gold Supporting Member
I have both right now, my Lonestar is the first(50/100) version. Both are great, the DRRI is my amp of choice though. The LSC sounds great at low volumes, the 2x12 packs huge beef. At home, it would be ridiculous, and gigging you need to get really loud, even in 50 watt mode, to get the power tubes warmed up.
The DRRI is perfect for 90% of my usage- small clubs, recording, etc. For most situations it's more than adequate, plus when cranked, it's glorious! The LSC weighs 94lbs and is a pain to move.

Have a roadie? Get the Mesa. Move it yourself? get the DRRI. Just my .02.

Trending Topics