1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Mesa Lonestar vs. Fender

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Olithar, May 19, 2011.

1. Olithar

Olithar Member

I was thinking of going Fender DRRI, Twin RI, something along those lines, and then I came across the Mesa Lonestar (basically just listening to Minus The Bear using them) and I wanted some opinions. Looking for a nice clean sound more than anything. I play post-rock, mostly, to give you a starting point. Please and thank you.

-Naal

2. zestystrat

zestystrat Member

No idea what a the Fender RI goes for but why not pick up a Fender SF? They are pretty cheap and will last forever.

Unless you want channel switching and fx loop.

3. Evansexcellent

Evansexcellent Member

I had a Lonestar classic 1x12 for a while a loved it great clean, works well with pedals, lot of options. I liked to put mine into a Avatar 212 with v30s and thought it sounded even better. I only used the clean and used dirt pedals. I also love fender amps. Any of them would be great for post-rock. I highly recommend Lonestar classic.

4. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

All hail dave knudson! Great player. He used to use Fender Twins, and now uses the Mesa LS and a fender twin. Get both and start tapping and looping with 4 DL4s. jk jk.

Go to a store and try em out. I can say, I was okay with the Lonestar, but ultimately didnt settle on it (was lookin more towards the AC30 sound). The nice thing about those amps - most big stores should carry them (ahem, Guitar Center). Slightly different amps, but both should give you a lot of clean headroom. Try em out if you can. Crank them to all hell and piss off the GC employees (jk jk...but seriously, do it)

5. gbsmusic

gbsmusic Member

The Lonestar is a great amp! The cleans are warm and if you throw a BB Preamp pedal in front of it is even sounds better dirty!!

6. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

The Mesa will be a fantastic amp so will the Fender, but I think by the sounds of it you may be happier with a Fender and some nice pedals. Or just flip a coin, sounds like you'd probably be okay with either at the end of the day.

7. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

If it was between a Lonestar and a vintage Fender, I'd go for the vintage Fender. But between a Lonestar and a current production Fender, the Lonestar is my choice hands down.

8. ES330

ES330 Member

I'm NOT a fan of the Lonestar !!!!
    Just fight that amp
    Plus, the Lonestars just sound sterile to me.

9. bettset

bettset Member

i must be lucky too. for all the complaints on tgp about the lonestar, my 100/50 cuts sweet. it is subjective. maybe i turn it up a bit more......some amps just come out better when the volume is up.....past 4 or 5......even 6. why do we crank supro's, old fenders, marshalls.....:munch

10. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I've owned all the amps you mentioned (Lonestar, Twin, DRRI). I love Fenders, have owned Fender amps for 20+ years, but I'd absolutely go with the Lonestar every time.

The Lonestar's cleans, to my ears, are warmer...not as crystalline as the Fenders, but with more roundness and bottom end. I dig that type of clean. It's much more versatile in terms of what the amp can do by itself, with no pedals. It does really well with lightly overdriven sounds at moderate volumes. The DRRI will get those sounds, but it will be loud. And the Twin, forget it, you'll shatter windows before you get dirt. Fenders are great, but gimme a Lonestar.

11. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

Lonestar for the win... I love mine.

[​IMG]

12. geddyentwistle

geddyentwistle Member

13. litespeed

litespeed Member

+1....Killer cleans!!!!!

14. Steve73

Steve73 Member

LSS for me too. I've played Fenders for years but with the LS cleans, you don't feel far from a Fender. Same feel and same warm reverb. The bonus is you get a great dirt channel as well with an excellent master volume and FX loop. Most of the gigs I do I could do with just the LS and a delay pedal. A grab and go amp for sure.....

15. SyKrash

SyKrash Member

Amazing amp. Some of the best cleans out there. I feel like the Lonestar can cover all the tones of the amps you mentioned. And then some. I used one for years and the clean channel always got compliments every gig.

Be warned tho, it's heavy. The 2x12 will give you a hard time unless you have a strong back and/or friends.

I don't think you'll be disappointed :)

16. harry65

harry65 Member

bf or sf deluxe reverb , maybe the greatest single amp of alltime..............;)

17. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    +1 totally agree