Mesa Lonestar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by riverastoasters, Oct 30, 2005.

1. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Got to play one in a store today. I liked a lot of the ideas. The sound was pretty good in some directions, but I ended up answering a lot of other customer questions and herding my four year old and not really getting the measure of this amp.

Next time, what should I look for to get the best aspect of this amp? Cleans were OK, drive was a little dull the way I had it dialed, but I wouldn't want to draw conclusions on an amp this complicated without a lot more time.

2. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Well that amp really dosnt have any secret sauce in it. You may not want one. ;)

I have one its a great amp. It does lots of different things and has a wide variety of tonal options. To me the clean is quite good. Not as good as 65 Blackface but dang close and with the 100 watt Solid State Rectifier Option you can get Dumble style clean thump.

On Channel 2 you are able to switch simaltaneously to 50 watt Tube rectifier and have a choice of high gain via the extra drive control (which adds one half a 12AX7 Tube) or switch the drive completly off and have the channel be identical to channel one. Then there is the Fat switch on channel Two.

And dont forget the footswitchable Master Volume (Solo Boost).

This amp has a freakin bunch of options and possabilities.

3. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

[​IMG]

4. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I hope that's not the secret sauce factory.

Yeah it appears to be Mesa-level complexity. I suppose I will read the manual before I try one again. On account of we're dealing with getting an old blackface Twin Reverb and another Bluesmaster through liquidation of a friend's estate, I'm not really supposed to be looking for amps. But the comments about the Lonestar intrigued me. It wasn't immediately apparent what the hubbub is about but it's not easy to shake out an amp while keeping track of a four year old.

The overdrive that I did get so far was sort of fizzy and hairy. Probably just not cranked enough.

5. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

The lonestar I tried was very dark. It had no bounce or swirl. Anyway, I thought it to be the most absolute mundane and dull sounding amp I have ever played. It was one of the first run models too. For the cash, I felt the stilletto was a better of a bargain.

6. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

I had a hard time dialing in some tones that really bowled me over til I read some of the reccomended settings. The controls are all very interactive, and certain settings do exactly the opposite of what you'd expect. If you can, look through the manual (it's online) and try a few of their reccomended settings.

7. frank62

frank62 Member

james? is that the mesa tube factory?

8. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Dark? Its anything but dark. That amp has all the treble you want and then some.

9. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

Absolutely!! Just back off the bass and mid (below 12:00) then adjust treble and presence to taste. If you start with EQ set to 12:00 and adjust from there it makes it a lot easier.

10. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i love this part of the manual

Page 19

REST AREA< hehehheheheeehehehehehehe:D

11. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

Heh heh. :)

And just so you folks know, I don't dislike the Lonestar. I think it's a nice amp actually.

12. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

quote:
    Originally posted by Red Planet
    Well that amp really dosnt have any secret sauce in it. You may not want one.

Oh boy, here we go again! :eek:

13. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Whatever you say man, the one I tried was a lifeless slug and no one can convince me otherwise. I'll go to my grave disliking the lonestar.:D

14. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

Can we possibly convince you that the one amp you tried might have had dull sounding tubes in it?

I wouldn't call the Lonestar a bright amp in general but I wouldn't say it was "lifeless".

15. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Possibly, but I still wouldn't buy one.:D

16. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Well Hee Haw tell us how you really feel. Dont be shy.:D

17. Tinman

Tinman Member

I've been gigging with a Lonestar Classic for about a year and a half, and I have to say that I have fallen out of love with channel 2, the drive channel. It is very dark to my ears, and I've tried just about everything to brighten it up. I've changed speakers, pre-amp tubes, power tubes, and I've run it through other cabs. The only way I can get a decent tone out of channel 2 is to dial the bass knob back completely. Even at that setting I wish I could dial it back more. Believe me, I have tried every combination of knob settings possible to remedy this problem.

On the other hand, the clean channel is fantastic and I can get plenty of sparkle. I use an Analogman King of Tone to get the overdrive sounds. Still, its a little disappointing that I'm now only using half of the amp.

A good friend of mine played my amp at the store before I bought it and told me it was too dark for him and I thought he was nuts. Its a mystery to me why I didn't hear it then. The dark thing really becomes apparent when you play the amp alongside a Blackface or Silverface Fender, an 18 watter, or just about any other Mesa.

I'm talking about my amp. I have not played other Lonestar Classics, so if someone else says they've got plenty of sparkle in theirs, I believe them. My amp has a dark, boomy, and even mushy channel 2.

18. Profklamen

Profklamen Supporting Member

My lonestar is a very dark sounding amp too. I like channel two, it has a warm and singing quality to it. I keep the bass tuned to about 9:00, and (I think the secret to making the amp brighter) I keep the gain and the drive knobs at about the same level. The owners manual suggest keeping the drive higher, and in the illustrations it shows it much higher, than the drive knob. The suggested settings are too warm and fuzzy for me.

EL34's seem to brighten the amp up a little bit too.

19. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Yeah that sort of thing was going on. A dull sound with the option of adding a decorative fizz on top of the dull. My brother was a video cameraman in the Air Force and every training video started out with some general officer sitting at t a desk. To keep the highlights from the general's stars from flaring, they had this stuff called "dulling spray" which they sprayed on the guy's symbols of lifelong achievement and prestige, which reduced them to a flat gray for the camera.

And my brother says the generals would always nervously ask "this stuff comes off, doesn't it?". And they were always told "sure, sure". Of course, the dulling spray doesn't come off, it's just what you are going to tell the general so he can read his lines.

Yeah. Dulling spray. That's what I was thinking for that drive channel.

I'll probably give that amp another ride sometime in the future. I've heard too many positive things about it. On the other hand, we just got a blackface Twin delivered from a friend's estate. No dulling spray there, I will bet.

20. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

:eek:
    :D :D :D