Mesa LSS + Strymon Timeline

BadlyDrawnBoy

Hello there,

I'm a recent owner of a LSS, and I've been using a Timeline on the front. Today I experimented for the first time with the Timeline in the loop. I found it odd that I had to raise the loop send level to the maximum, in order to approximate the same level of sound as when the loop is hard-bypassed. Even so, it didn't reach the same level. I checked on the TL and the patches I tested where all set without any gain variation.

Anyone using the same setup that help clarify if this is normal of if I may be doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Hello there,

I'm a recent owner of a LSS, and I've been using a Timeline on the front. Today I experimented for the first time with the Timeline in the loop. I found it odd that I had to raise the loop send level to the maximum, in order to approximate the same level of sound as when the loop is hard-bypassed. Even so, it didn't reach the same level. I checked on the TL and the patches I tested where all set without any gain variation.

Anyone using the same setup that help clarify if this is normal of if I may be doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Expected behavior for there to be a huge jump in volume with hard bypass engaged.

Per StratManKudzu- Mesa's master volume controls interacts with the FX send level- do you have the master volume on your channels set extremely low (9 o'clock or below) by chance?

StratManKudzu

the Lonestars have essentially 3 volume knobs at different points in the circuit
input/gain stage -> channel volume -> send level (volume) -> loop -> output/solo volume. There are lots of variations possible with all those knobs. I don't play mine with the loop bypassed (even if no pedals in the loop i have jumpered the send and return with a short cable). I like the control i get with the output knob.

porticoguitar1

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a LSS + TL vet here for the last few years. You'll get nothing through at extremely low volumes on both the channel volumes and master. I've found I can keep the send level (on the back) at noon with the channel volumes set above 9:00 but it you're able to run the channel volumes higher, you'll "feel" better control of the effects loop. Then, lower the master to control your overall volume. Just like everything with the LSS, it's all about tweaking to find those sweet spots. No plug and play here but worth the work IMO.

BadlyDrawnBoy

Thank you all for the tips. I may have the channel volumes low indeed, however not sure if they were below 9:00.. Still, going to try and find a sweet spot based on your feedback. Thanks!

Cgkindler

PLEASE explain why and what benifit there is to jumping the loop if no pedals?

I've got an Electra Dyne (as well as a Two Rock studio Pro 22 and a Bad Cat with loops, would it help those also?)

Really curious man - or is it just a Mesa thing? If so though, what benifit does it provide to jump them together?

THANKS VERY MUCH!

porticoguitar1

Silver Supporting Member
PLEASE explain why and what benifit there is to jumping the loop if no pedals?

I've got an Electra Dyne (as well as a Two Rock studio Pro 22 and a Bad Cat with loops, would it help those also?)

Really curious man - or is it just a Mesa thing? If so though, what benifit does it provide to jump them together?

THANKS VERY MUCH!

For some reason, you may need to jump the send/return with a patch cable due to dirty contacts or loosened connections that don't exactly "turn off" when nothing is connected. Ideally, the send and return are designed to self route your signal but for some reason the LSS appears to have a common theme with those plugs being a little wonky. I've heard that a little contact cleaner will eliminate this problem altogether. But what do I know. I should try it sometime.

Cgkindler

Right on. So it's a noise thing versus, well, whatever else I was thinking lol

If using the clean channel only on an amp, is there any benefit to running the delay and verbs in the loop versus in the front? (In humble opinions of course, I've tried it both ways and couldn't distinguish a difference, but I might not have played long enough)

I never use the dirt of an amp, just never had one I liked more than the pedals I have.

Thanks for the info all!

JB Eckl

If you're going clean only, I would say forget the loop. The only real reason for an effects loop is to have effects post-dirt anyway.

I use the LSS loop a lot, but only because I spend half my time on Channel 2.