Mesa Mark I experts needed :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lpd, May 5, 2019.

1. shakti

shakti Member

I'll be very curious to know how this one turns out. The really early amps aren't very well documented, so never say never. But the apparent absence of preamp tubes looks very strange...

2. lpd

lpd Supporting Member

Yes apparently eq lineup is similar to this.

Squared edges on the cab and same logo. The absence of tubes seems strange though unless I just can’t see them?

3. Ultra GP

Ultra GP Member

It looks like it has two tubes back there. Look very carefully to the left of each 6L6 near the base. You can just about see the tube shields.

4. Gridlock

Gridlock Member

A “Son of Boogie”?

5. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

Maybe...really hard to tell. Must at least investigate!

6. lpd

lpd Supporting Member

It does have two tubes in behind the outputs :)

7. boogierobot

boogierobot Member

8. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

Probably a Princeton circuit if 2 tubes..

9. teemuk

teemuk Member

Looks totally fake.

Don't be fooled by Boogie label and wicker grille. Besides that, it doesn't even remotedly look like a Mark I amp.

10. jujube

jujube Member

Some of the early ones just had a boost switch on the back or front. Others had no boost at all.

11. lpd

lpd Supporting Member

I’m arranging to pop it open with the owner and look at the guts.

More will be revealed ...

Wyzard, Al Rose and Baxtercat like this.
  12. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

Not unless it was one of the Son of Boogie prototypes. I grabbed a very early S.O.B. (back when they first came out). Where this one has "level", mine had "limit". Plus, the order of the TMB on mine was TBM.

I too would like to see some "gut shots" of this one.

Gridlock likes this.
  13. MesaBoogieIIB

MesaBoogieIIB Member

No reason to think this is a fake..Interested to see the gut shots but pretty sure this is a genuine MESA..Neil Young had a head the same..Only 1 volume,same Boogie logo but a presence control where this has "level" This might even turn out to have been his ;)

14. lpd

lpd Supporting Member

Definitely some similarities and certainly looking forward to seeing the guts on this one. Will snap some pics for you guys once I can connect.

15. mikebu

mikebu Member

From https://www.mesaboogie.com/about/randalls-story.html

Around 1969 we wanted to play a prank on Barry Melton of Country Joe and the Fish. So I took his little Fender Princeton amp which, stock, puts out about twelve watts and has a ten-inch speaker. I cut up the chassis to fit big transformers and entirely rebuilt it using the famous 4-10 Tweed Bassman circuit. After careful measurement, I cut out the speaker board and squeaked in a twelve-inch JBL D-120, the hot speaker back then. When I finished building it, I took it out to the front of the store to get a good play test and who do you think happened to be hanging out right then? Carlos Santana. He just wailed through that little amp until people were blocking the sidewalk. When he stopped playing he turned and said, “**** man. That little thing really Boogies!” Word spread fast and before long there were over a hundred little Princeton/ Boogies appearing on Bay Area Stages including the Fillmore and Winterland …all of them built up a dirt path in a mountain shack I had converted from an old dog kennel.

Could this be one of the hundred little Princeton/ Boogies?

Buck Woodson likes this.
  16. Ultra GP

Ultra GP Member

Those looked more like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But also, have a look at the amps (specifically the head) in the Polaroids on the top of this page.

https://www.mesaboogie.com/about/index.html

Very similar. Mesa logo isn't in the center of the face plate, and the cabinet is the same style. That head has five controls though - Maybe the one @lpd posted was originally the same spec, and had the level control added later on.

17. lpd

lpd Supporting Member

Yeah the level looks after thought and certainly not stock to the rest of the Amp. Appears to be handwritten “level”. I’m hoping to meet with the ow we sometime in the next week and crack her open. Curious to see what’s under the hood. Anyone know what specifically I should be looking for? According to the owner it has “Randall’s” signature but he can’t remember if it’s p2p or boards ect.

18. Ultra GP

Ultra GP Member

They usually used (and still use) dymo labels for modifications, but it could have been done with marker like the rear panels were done early on. That or someone else could have done it.

Yes that would make sense. Randall Smith or "RCS"

It would be PCB, but I gather the boards won't look exactly the same as one of the more common MK 1s from 76 or later. Here's a very early one from 1974 for comparison

https://reverb.com/item/618186-mesa-boogie-mark-1-1974-walnut

Also, check the side of the chassis for a code such as the "SSRG" (super sixty reverb graphic) in that listing.

19. mikebu

mikebu Member

One thing to keep in mind is that Mesa Boogie back then was a custom shop and built custom amps before they had a defined Product Line with the Mark 1. This sure looks like a combo amp built in the same style as those Neil Young early Heads before the Mark 1 was released.

When I ordered my Amp, a Mark IIC+ SRG combo, in 1984 from Mesa Boogie you would send in your money and then wait 3-6 months for the Amp to be made and delivered to you. There was no public declaration of the new IIC+ Model. No ads in the magazine announcing it. They just changed them and shipped them out to customers without telling them. The enclosed manual/papers didn't mention the + modification. I had no idea there was a Mark IIC+ model until 10 years ago.

20. Scott French

Scott French Member

No idea if it is real or not, but looks like a lot like one of Neil Young's very early Mesas.

Here's a front shot of one that sold through Julien's:
    https://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2017/neil-young/flipbook/141/#zoom=z

More Shots:

Here's the page from the Mark III era catalog that mentions the first four Boogies were hardwood and made for Neil Young:
    (bottom left aside)