Mesa Mark I: Who has tried EL34s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by les_paul, May 7, 2015.

1. les_paul

les_paul Member

I recently picked up a Mark I re-issue that came with 6V6s. Years ago I played one in a shop I worked in (almost every day) and it always had 6L6s. I know I liked my Rect-O-Verb more with EL34s even though the manual said that it was 'optimized' for 6L6s.

Who here has tried it out?

2. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Can it be done? I imagine some component values inside would need to be changed and of course the mandatory bias pot mod would also need to be added as Mesas are shipped with non-adjustable bias.

3. les_paul

les_paul Member

It says right in the Mark I re-issue manual that it can take 6L6, 6V6, and EL34.

EDIT: 6V6 and EL34 can only be used in the Tweed mode.

4. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

So it's the reissue MK I? I didn't know they could do EL34s -- knew about the 6V6s in Tweed mode though.

5. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I've owned multiple Mark I Reissues since the mid 90's - I still have 3 of them. I've tried 6L6, EL34 and 6V6 tubes in them for extended periods of time. For me, the 6V6s sound the best, followed by EL34s.

To my ears, the 6V6 is a whole lot more Marshally than the EL34 in this amp. You get a combination of grind and chime out of them.

FWIW, I run the amp into input 2 (non-cascaded) with volume 1 at 0, volume 2 at 4, master to taste, treble at 7, bass at 3, mids at either 3 or 5 (depending on what cabinet I'm using) and presence at 9. The reverb is usually between 2 and 3.

[​IMG]

6. les_paul

les_paul Member

Awesome, thanks. Your settings are nearly identical to mine although I like to jack both of the volumes and run a moderate master just for fun.

I think I'll take it to rehearsal this week and run it loud to see what's up.

7. jujube

jujube Member

EL34s will run very cold with this amp. Since the manual was written, Mesa now does not recommend using EL34s with this amp. The recent amp models have a bias switch.

8. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I think your experience will depend a lot on what kind of tones your expecting to get out the Boogie. This amp is VERY influenced by cabinet and speaker choice. I prefer to get a more Marshally feel out of it, which means running it at the edge of breakup and using an overdrive pedal for distortion. I also get good results out of a greenback type speaker. For the high gain and Santana tones, a high efficiency speaker like an EVM works. For more Fender tones, a large open back cab makes a big difference.