Mesa Mark II Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by boog204, Jul 12, 2019 at 7:36 AM.

1. boog204

boog204 Member

I posted over at the Boogie board, but it is not going through...

Anyways, there is a guy selling a Mark II locally for what I think is a pretty smoking price. He bought it brand new in 1981 and has not modded it or anything. However, "MB" is written on the back which I thought was a sign of modification. Did some of the amps come stock with Mike's mods? I'm going to go check it out in the next couple of days, but just wanted to go in knowing all that I could.

2. Gearhunter

Gearhunter Member

Mike's initials were on many Mark amps since he was one of the main builders. He also does do the mods to the upgrade to IIc+ and will notate the date of the mod on the amp chassis.
    Is the Mark a IIA or IIB?
    Love my IIB and am considering sending it in to Mike for the upgrade of the fx loop.

3. boog204

boog204 Member

I haven't seen it yet but the seller thinks he bought it in 1981 so I'm assuming that it's a IIB. Is there a definitive way to tell the difference between the A/B/C?

4. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

The "A" does not have an effects loop on the back panel. Not sure about the changes from IIb to C....1981 would not be a "C" though.
    The IIb is my favorite mark series amp....killer amps that for some reason seem to be the ones that you get the better deals on! Just snagged one my self! Some guys want to send them in for the loop mod, not me though! Love it just the way it is. I have no issue with running a delay in the loop btw...as long as the effect can handle line level. Some effects don't play nice, some do!
    If it's a IIB for a great price...get it! Get it now!

5. slavenoid

slavenoid Member

Get it. One incredible thing is that Mike is still there. You can send him the chassis and he will update it perfectly at a reasonable cost, and you have a "lifetime" amp. Got mine in 81 new and Mike went through it 2 years back.

6. boog204

boog204 Member

Could any of you define "reasonable" price? All I have to work on is one picture of the front of the amp but the price seemed too good to be true and the clips I've heard are absolutely awesome.

7. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Agree with all of this.

8. big mike

750-900 depending on condition and options.

If it's never been serviced it may need a cap job.

pelle31 and bluesoul like this.
  9. bluesoul

A good price on a clean IIB 800-1000. A great price would be anything less! Wood and wicker is always bringing more.
    Is the amp 60 watt or 60/100? Reverb? GEQ? Factors that affect price.
    I specifically looked for a clean 60 watt combo worth no GEQ or Rev. Mine was 770.00 shipped and super clean. I felt that was an amazing deal!
    The 60 watt version is much easier to move around...about 50 LBs (a bit more with an EV).

big mike likes this.
  10. big mike

Great deal. Exactly what i'd look for as well. (well maybe reverb). The old boogie black shadow eminence from that time sound good too and are light weight. a Classic Lead 80 or a big dust cap Scumback H75 would also work very well.

bluesoul likes this.
  11. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

"Mike Bendinelli"

simply initials to say that the amp was QC'd.
    mine has it too, but no mods.

12. bluesoul

I do like reverb as an option. A bonus for sure!

This one came with a WGS Vet 30. Was thinking I would change it but it stays! Funny thing is, I really fell in love with the amp and found a blonde combo shell with an EV. If I want to swap...I can just move the chassis! The cool thing was, it had a wicker panel which is something I wanted for the MK IV (black w/wicker). It all worked out! Just need a head cab and I will have all things covered!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 10:20 AM
    big mike likes this.
  13. boog204

boog204 Member

So based on your prices, I have a potentially great deal on my hands. It does have a loop and reverb so that pretty much guarantees it's a B, correct? EV speaker as well. All black; would've dug the wicker/wood combo but not a big deal. He claims he's never used the loop and does not have a footswitch so I'm not sure if those "issues" are prevalent. Checking it out on Sunday and hopefully if it sounds as "great" as the owner claims, I'll bring her home.

Al Rose likes this.