Mesa mark IIc

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by userd, Jun 2, 2005.

1. userd

userd Member

I have an offer for a '84 Mesa IIc 100W head, no EQ.

Is it worth buying it as it is a classic amp and maybe get a c+ mod or would you save the money for a different amp?

I always liked the sound of my Triaxis ch2 orange, but sold it as the Triaxis lacked some punch. Can the head delver that sound AND feel?

Thanks

2. Supertgtr

Supertgtr Member

Having the mod done by Mike B. at boogie is a good idea. You might want to call over to boogie and talk with them for pricing and such.

3. BNB

BNB Silver Supporting Member

Can I ask what the c+ mod is and what are these amps generally worth? Also, are they good?

4. shaddamron

shaddamron Guest

Get it! Get the mod done! Sadly I am in a bad place right now and having to sell my MKIIC+. It is one of the best sounding amps I have had the pleasure of owning. It truly is inspiring to play.
    Here is a link to me eBay auction.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7327928388
    There is at least one other MKIIC+ on eBay and it is almost twice as much as mine, but his is loaded. Rare amps that are only getting rarer and going up in value. I soooo wish I could hold out with mine but it isn't possible. Hopefully you can score the MKIIC for a lot less and get Mike B. to do the work.
    Kind regards,
    Shad

5. voodoogreg

voodoogreg Member

Thats the one one to have i am told, only thing, i here the EQ is a pretty imoprtant for the markII's to regain bottom and even out the tone. hopefully gil ayan will chime in. I am not reall up on boogie's as much as other amps but this is something both mark kane and gil have told me. VDG

6. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

MK II's can sound good without the eq. However, having the onboard eq makes the amp much more versatile. The eq is after the tone controls so it has a very big effect on the overall sound.

7. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I have been playing a C+ all evening and man these things are sweet. Never had the EQ on. The cleans are wonderful and the lead tone as they call it is smooth in the upper registers with some grind in the lower makes for a very expressive quality. I got very good tones at a pretty reasonable volume too.

8. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Yes,

The MkII C+ is one sweet amp alright. I've got two cabs
    with mine (yes it is a very rare flamed Imbayu [sp] combo).
    I found a matching hardwood 1 x 12 cab to go with it.

But my favorite cab to play in conjunction is my 1 x 15 Karlson
    bass cab.

So if you can get the amp at a good price, and want it,
    then buy it. I would ask if they can retro fit the eq if
    if you want it...I'm sure they have parts floating around
    the shop.

Good luck and enjoy....

9. shaddamron

shaddamron Guest

Yeah it seems some swear by it but I'd have to agrue not to dismiss this amp because of a lack of EQ (which I have been told is easy as pie for Boogie to drop in, in fact under the faceplate the chassis is slotted up to fit the slider pots in!).
    I have never felt I was lacking anything without it. The tones are so clear and defined it's crazy. All kinds of nice subtle things are present that most amps just wash away or mask somehow.
    Crap I want to keep this amp so bad I am thinking of parting with a lot of other gear instead......lord give me strength!!!
    If anyone here has some interest in my amp I will note that the BIN price on eBay is very negotionable.
    :D

10. Memorex

Memorex Member

Nowadays, I don't play out anymore, so I just use my Super Champ and Tonelab at home. But I used to have a MKIIC Simulclass head, and it was by far the best sounding amp I ever owned. Kinda sorry I sold it.

11. RichKelley

RichKelley Member

I have a Mk III, similar to the late Mk II's.

The EQ is pretty important. The way those amps work in the gain channels the traditional tone controls are really better thought of as controls to shape the character of the distortion. The EQ is after most or all of the gain stages so it's really the control set that adjusts frequencies.

The middle slider (750 Hz) is super sensitive (one could argue stupidly sensitive). This slider controls the mids in the amp's tone. Getting the right amount of mids is really key to getting a good tone from a Mk series boogie. Not enough mids and the tone is whimpy and has no punch, too much mid and the tone gets really honky and obnoxcious.

For that 80's liquid lead type of sound these amps can't be beat. I've heard a 2C get really heavy and chunky too - the guy that was playing it was into metal and loved the tone. Mk series mesas do not do a good Marshall tone.

All above IMHO of course.

Rich

12. shaddamron

shaddamron Guest

Ah I see what the fuss is about now. I only use mine for it's pure clean fendery type tones. I never really use a true 'lead' tone list many might seek in this amp. I did talk to a local Boogie Tech who informs he can add the EQ for about $50 in parts and $150 in labour. He did mention getting a new faceplate that has the 'pull gain' like mine might be difficult but that he can do a bit of metal work on this one for not a whole lot more. He did say I needed to bring it in for a firm quote. He said the cost for Reverb was just about the same. So all is not lost for those seeking one of these with EQ or Reverb. Havne't asked about simul=class but wil tomorrow when I call Petaluma.

13. userd

userd Member

Thanks,

looks like getting the mod done and get the c+ sound is no problem.

Also getting the EQ later if necessary is possible.

I wonder - as most of the amps have no EQ like these - why you cant fix the "mid-problem" with a simple mod along with the c+ mod?

14. voodoogreg

voodoogreg Member

Need a shout out to gil Ayan. i had talked with him some about these thing's about a yr ago when i was wanting an amp setup for slide. (a mark I) and was very helpful. Also I think andy fuch's might know about them, i think modded some yr's ago.

Here is a site for history of the mark series mesa's that gil helped with that's pretty good:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~ayan/history.htm

VDG