Mesa Mark III Red Stripe Head - (What the hell took me so long)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by el34junior, Sep 22, 2015.

1. el34junior

el34junior Supporting Member

After a 15 year search, I believe I have found my amp. I'll save you from the 50+ amps I've gone through.
    The Mark III is as advertised. Raw, aggressive and some how can still be warm sounding. I've heard for years these amps are hard to dial in & it's not much a channel changing amp. Well, if you only need 2 channels it's perfect. And it took me about 7 minutes to dial in. The manual is a handy tool.
    This amp gives me confidence in my tone like nothing else I've played thru. I love the fact that the channels have a similar voice. Cleans by the way are great! I'll still use my TS-9 or OD pedal for a boost if needed. It doesn't need it, but live it will help. I'll be recording with it soon. Amp only with no pedals for almost everything.
    Thanks to TGP for all the posts on this amp and others I've owned over the years.
    I had a phone conversation with the past owner that was beyond helpful. Great dude, knows more about Mark III's than all the Mesa techs combined..

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    Captain Sco and logdrum like this.
  2. DeuxSeaPlus

DeuxSeaPlus Member

Mark IIIs are great amps, especially the Red. Congrats on the purchase!

el34junior likes this.
  3. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    Got a black stripe Mk III w reverb, GEQ and EV12L that I love.

4. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

Killer amps.
    But I disagree they are more 2 channel amps.
    I can get great sounds across R1, R2 and Lead on the late 80s Blue Stripe I have here (EQ, Simul).

teveinsene and el34junior like this.
  5. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

I have owned a few.... Great amp.

6. saf_1

saf_1 Member

Had a Mk. III 60w Red Stripe combo at one time - didn't like it at all! Didn't realize when I bought it (used) that it was voiced for metal. Anyway, just wasn't what I expected from a Boogie, and never could get the tones out of it that I wanted. Ended up trading it for something else - can't remember what - but I've never missed it.

7. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

A lot of people that use this amp do not play metal at all. I do not know anyone that uses a open back combo to play metal ?

el34junior and Captain Sco like this.
  8. Captain Sco

Captain Sco Member

9. Schafrocks

Schafrocks Supporting Member

I played a Mark III for years. One of my favorite things about it was the clean channel. Get he R2 volume mod and that helps a lot.

10. saf_1

saf_1 Member

What a lot of other people play thru this amp, is pretty much irrelevant. I personally did not like the way the preamp was voiced on the Red Stripe, and got rid of it. Not making a value judgement; if you like them - fine. I didn't like mine. I was later told that Mesa voiced the "red"' preamp, to appeal to metal players: guys looking for a more agressive sound. It didn't have that typical "Boogie" sonic footprint that I was looking for, so I traded it. I personally think there are other models that sound much better TO MY EAR - but that's personal taste. And I am sure there are plenty of guitarists out there, who don't want to - or have the means to - lug multiple 4x12 cabs around wih them, and DO play metal through open back combos, probably mic'd thru the PA. Maybe not YOUR optimal metal rig, but maybe not everyone shares your opinion of what consitutes "metal" - and what doesn't.

stephen sawall likes this.
  11. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

Can you name a metal player that uses open back cabs for high gain sounds ?
    I can't..... :)

Not trying to give you a hard time..... Just never seen or heard of it myself.

12. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Stryper?
    I have a III red fully loaded with EV that I LOVE. The dirty channel is very aggressive,
    but the clean and R2 with the right boost can be very classic sounding if you have time to fiddle about.

13. saf_1

saf_1 Member

Guess you don't get out to see many cover/bar bands, do you?

14. sg~guy

sg~guy Member

wait a minute!!!

stryper is a metal band!! and here I was thinking they were a Christian 80's hair band!!

pffffffffff!! who'd of known!!

-(congrats to the ts,.. great amps the mesa mark series are <<<---yoda----- )-

15. BigKD

BigKD Member

Oh just wait...it can get even better with certain tubes!

el34junior likes this.
  16. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I have a green stripe combo that is fully loaded, I don't hear metal at all. I suppose you could do it, but with an amp that is known to have woofy bass it really seems like a dumb idea.

I also owned. Slo100, now that can be a metal amp. It has much more gain than a Mark III, it isn't even close.

I use my amp as a two channel, dead clean and ripping lead. Not sure you need much more when playing live. It's a compact amp that can be used for most anything, and it does things very well.

17. DeuxSeaPlus

DeuxSeaPlus Member

Complaints about flabby bass or "woofiness" generally stem from incorrect settings. Keep the "bass" knob down and add bass in with the graphic. It's a very common mistake.

Also, I think your comment about the SLO having more gain than a Mark III is derivative of your "settings." Get the settings right, and the Mark III Green Stripe is far tighter and gainier than a SLO. Now if you said the SLO nailed the hair metal tone, I would agree with you 100%.

18. DeuxSeaPlus

DeuxSeaPlus Member

The 60W Marks are cool but they have their own thing going on. When most people talk about Marks, they primarily mean the Simul-Class, and they sound noticeably different than 100s or 60s. So I'm not sure your experience with a 60W is representative of the class as a whole.

Also, It might be helpful to give some examples of what you construe as being metal. If you're clamoring for early Marks, which seams to be the case, you could likely think of Led Zeppelin as being metal - which would also explain your perspective on open vs. closed back cabs.

19. el34junior

el34junior Supporting Member

I know it will work for metal.. I'm a Thin Lizzy / AC/DC tone guy (yeah I know they played thru Marshalls).
    I usually play garage & punk rock. This red stripe cuts thru & still retains note definition. I have nothing bad to say about any of the Mark series amps, but the III is my favorite by far. I understand why someone could get frustrated with a Boogie.. This amp is pretty simple though. The only Mesa I've owned that was easier to dial in was an Electra Dyne. (also an amazing amp) But, it's know Mark III.

20. BigKD

BigKD Member

One thing about the mark III is that it has really forced me to clean up my playing. IMO it's not like a roaring high gain Marshall that will hide a bit of slop. Especially in simul-class mode, it is a fast and hard amp that can make you feel bad about your playing.