Mesa Mark III Red Stripe Head - (What the hell took me so long)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by el34junior, Sep 22, 2015.

1. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

Cover bands no.... Probably less than a few hundred. But I have seen a lot of bands live. Your right I have seen bands use unusual rigs for the type of music they performed.

2. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Congrats on your Red Stripe OP...

I've owned a fully loaded MKIII "black dot" head for a long time. Insanely great amp.

el34junior likes this.
  3. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

Possibly, but when you're on? Hard to beat a Mark and they're not so unforgiving when you're not. I have a blue-stripe loaded simulclass amp that is insanely good sounding.

4. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

Either way man they had some killer guitar sounds. And the singer had some serious pipes on him.

5. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

This.
    It's a very naked and clear sound, like a Hiwatt.
    You hit a bad note and everyone knows about it!

6. DeuxSeaPlus

DeuxSeaPlus Member

After getting my first IIC+, I eventually sold all my other amps with the exception of my late 70s Hiwatt. To me the Simul-Class IIC+ sounds ALOT like the Hiwatt - actually, perhaps a bit better, although lacking quite the same headroom.

jdel77 likes this.
  7. saf_1

saf_1 Member

Guys - I thought we were talking about the RED STRIPE Mk.III - not the Mk.III line as a whole. MESA voiced the preamp differently on different model Mk.III's (hence the red stripe, green stripe, blue stripe designation), apparently to appeal to different player's tastes. A red stripe doesn't sound like a blue stripe - the preamps are not designed to exactly duplicate the same tones. The OP said he just got a RED STRIPE MK.III, and I thought that was what this discussion was about - not that, plus every other Mk.III variant they ever produced! And I simply stated that I had one and didn't like it, and was told that the red stripes were voiced more to appeal to metal players. I owned at Mk.I as well (after I owned the Mk.III), and liked it much better, but it was a totally different beast. I ALSO undestand the sonic differences between a closed back 4x12 and an open back 1x12 cab. I am NOT advocating playing metal through an open back 1x12 cab (a Mk.-whatever combo, for instance). I just thought it was ridiculous to state that NO ONE plays metal through an open back cab - and I contend that there are PLENTY of guys out there in bar/cover bands, doing just that every Friday and Saturday night! I wasn't talking about well known metal recording artists (although, hell - there might be some of them as well, who laid down tracks on an album through a Mk. of some kind or other). That's ALL I was trying to say. If you like Red Stripe Mk.III's, more power to ya! I was simply saying I didn't like mine. Never mind all the other blue, green, whatever variants: I can't speak to those, because I've never owned one - but they aren't RED STRIPES. That's what we're talking about here, right??

8. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Sure - Metallica used Mark II's on some album, Kill 'em All? Not modern metal, but far heavier music than I want to hear or play ;)

And the Red Stripe is voiced - in the power (not preamp) section - to sound like more similar to the Mark IIC+. You can easily mod other Mark series amps for this + mod - its one capacitor in the power section that effects the amount of treble IIRC (which is to say, I think you can get any Stripe to sound like any other Stripe with a bit of EQ adjustment in the treble particularly). However, it was the Blue Stripe era when Mesa made the power section brighter / more aggressive, which I'd think would probably be more ideal for metal than the smoother Red Stripe. I think the bass is punchy on the Mark amps in general, but the Green Stripe introduced pentode wiring (rather than triode) for the Class A EL34's making the bass punchier - this would also be beneficial for metal. However, in the end, I think most modern Metal guitarist want more distortion than the Mark III delivers.

I think most people who use these amps for metal go with the EVM12L in a Thiele closed/ported cabinet. It was day-and-night for me though: in a convertible back cabinet, I much preferred the open back for my (non-metal) style of music.

I love the Mark III amps as well - I have a fully loaded Simul Class Red Head and I've been very tempted to trade my Silverface (Blackfaced) Deluxe Reverb for another Mark III. Maybe non-simul-class, or maybe a Green, if not just another Red. By far my favorite amp I played, and definitely a very revealing amp that took me a while to get used to when I first bought it: I was amazed at how notes just jump out from it and sustain, but any movement you make on your guitar is heard out of the speaker.

9. Lance

Lance Member

Me too. All three are killer! Mine didn't come with any foot switches, so I just used whatever I had lying around, which were three singles. I didn't care for the reverb much, and was using a pedal in the loop. I noticed that I wasn't able to stack all three channels using the foot switches, but could with nothing plugged into the jack. Which wasn't a big deal to me at the time. Found out that you have to use a two switch for the R2 & reverb and you can stack 'em all.

10. el34junior

el34junior Supporting Member

It's cool hearing about all the Stripes! The only one I played before I got the Red Stripe is a Blue. It was pretty amazing sounding too.. Played the Blue stripe thru a JCM900 cab with GT12-75's one of my least favorite Celestions and still had great lethal tone..

11. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

12. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Something is wrong with your Mark III or you are not on lead channel but R2 perhaps. I've had several III's and several SLO's and still own one of each and the Mark III has waaay more gain than SLO. The Mark III is most likely the gainiest amp Mesa ever made and is the gainiest of all the Mark series amps.

13. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I know how to use the amp thank you. The mesa has a lot of gain. but it isn't as close, only way to duplicate the Soldano would be to have the Mesa dimed on all the pre-gain stages. The Soldano achieves this level of gain with the knobs on 5 or 6.

14. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Was not meant to infer you were inept with using the amp lol. Sorry if you felt that way but Mark III's have way more gain than an SLO. That is pretty much well known which is why I suspect something is not right with your III.

DeuxSeaPlus likes this.
  15. Guinness Lad

No nothings wrong, I just don't turn the knobs that high. I suppose I could get more gain, but I like to balance the clean and lead.

teveinsene likes this.
  16. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Mine:
    Gain 7.5 Pulled
    Treble 7 Pulled
    Bass 0
    Middle 5 pulled
    Master 2 pulled
    Lead drive 7 pulled
    Lead master 3 pulled
    Presence 2-3
    Reverb 1
    GEQ mild V with 750 just below the line

17. DeuxSeaPlus

DeuxSeaPlus Member

Agree 100%.

18. DeuxSeaPlus

DeuxSeaPlus Member

So you're making claims of an amp's abilities - which are 100% divergent with standard understanding - only to admit that you are not setting the amp up correctly? Yeah, totally logical to me. o_O

From personal experience, Mark III Green Stripe has significantly more gain than a SLO.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  19. Guinness Lad

Since when did I not set it up correctly? I run the amp like so -

Gain 7-8
    treble - 6 to 7 - pull shift
    midrange - 5 to 6
    bass - 1.5 usually no higher
    volume - where needed - pull deep
    lead gain 8 to 9
    volume where needed

eq

lowest almost off 1/4 I think
    next - 2/3
    middle = 1/2
    low treble/high mids - 1/4
    treble - 2/3

Perhaps your Soldano was busted, or maybe you didn't know how to use it. Not sure how you can say a Mesa textbook manual setting is divergent, but whatever, you clearly are smarter than all the hard rock players who use Soldano SLO100's.

20. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

So, I don't know the gain curve on a SLO since I've never had one, but those settings on my MKIII when the lead channel is engaged would positively rip - that's a lotta gain.