Mesa Mark IIIs - Which is THE stripe to look for?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Random Hero, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Which is deemed the best to look for, and why?

2. ARch

ARch Member

I've got a purple stripe combo with SimulClass and EQ, and it's great for what I wanted. It all depends on your ears:

3. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

4. PSaulino

PSaulino Silver Supporting Member

I had a blue stripe simul-class that I absolutely hated. I spent a fortune on it (for me at the time), and I think I'm still trying to recover from the trauma I experienced on the first (and last) gig I played with it. There were tones that never left my subconscious and still send shivers down my spine.

I did actually play, and purchase the last version on that list, a 100 watter that sounded pretty good. It was the closest to a IIC+ (compared it directly). One thing, that "crunch" channel was never worth anything IMO.

YMMV....
    Paul

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

There are just slight differences in all of em. I'm sure there is someone here with more experience.

Many of us will have different tastes.

I own a Blue Stripe Combo with Simulclass, Reverb, Graphic EQ, and all that Jazz. It really rocks my socks. I get better tones out of it than many a Booteek Amp I have owned/played (not all but many). I really dont care for the EV Speaker in these Amps. I have a Classic Lead 80 in mine right now.

I play mine using the Lead Channel set for a perfect Crunch and the Graphic EQ engaged all the time with a smiley face on it (not a hard V). I use a couple pedals into it Clean or on the Lead Channel for many different flavors.

I use the OCD and the Timmy into the Mark III with absolute stellar results. :bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow

I'm really happy with the tones I'm getting out of mine!

The R2 (extra crunch mode of the Clean Channel) is absolutely useless to me.

6. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I have a purple stripe III and a Simulclass C+ The R1 and lead channel in the III sound very much like the C+ The R2 channel reminds me more of the Mark IV than any other amp in the Mark series.

I had a red stripe III that sounded almost identical to the purple stripe except the R2 channel on the red seemed just a tad hotter.

I was going to sell my purple stripe but I'm digging it so much I think it's won a reprieve :cool:

7. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

I have a Red Stripe IMk II, had a green and blue, and have a IIc+.

The red could be dialed in closest to the IIc+. The green had a big clean, as class A is wired in pentode and the other stripes triode. They all have a bit more gain than a IIc+. They get close to recto tone. It's pretty heavy sounding.

My favorites were the red then green. There isn't a big difference in any.

An MC90 sounds great in the combo if you don't like the EVM 12L.
    But a 2x12 Mesa recto cab rocks these amps.

They're fun to play and I liked them all better than the Mk IV I had.

8. gainfreak

gainfreak Member

ive tried just about every stripe III and theres not much of a differance between all of them especially if they have the graphic EQ option.
    Ive compared a red and blue stripe III at an ampfest and we could get them both to sound the same on the lead channel. Like most tube amps I think its more about if you get a good sounding one.IMHO I think there is a lot of net hype surrounding the infamous stripe mods. yes, they sound diffeent from mod to mod but not as much as some will tell you especially in the lead mode.

9. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Seems to be a lot in teh speakers.
    I read all the threads about Mark Boogies, and it's always the combos people don't like.
    Play em through a good quad, THEN see what you think !

10. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

I'm looking at picking up another Mark IV, and seeing as I love that Mark tone, I thought a Mark III would be a good compliment as a rhythm tone. Two clean tones, rhythms from the III and leads from the IV.

11. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

[​IMG]

Have you tried the limited edition Brown Stripe model ?

Bryan

12. 2555SL

2555SL Member

Plugged through a good sounding Marshall 4x12, I actually forget the name on the front of amp, the model number, or the stripe color. Tone food it is, pure tone food!

You`ll probably enjoy any stripe. Mine happens to be blue.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

There is no doubt in Booteek Land these amps are extremely underated. They will hold their on with anything out there.

Mine is a combo but it does sound good if you play it through a big cab cranked. If I had a prefrence I would want a Black Dot, Black Stripe, Purple Stripe, Blue Stripe, or Red Stripe if I was planning on it being a Combo. If I were wanting a head and volume wasnt an issue I would go for the Green Stripe.

Why? Because the Green Stripe has 10 more watts than the others. One problem I had with my Mark I's is in 100 watt Mode it was too much in a Combo. Especially that small a combo. Now through a 4x12 in and the 100 watter would shine but in that small cab it would rattle and shake and vibrate and wiggle and tremble and ..............

14. 2555SL

2555SL Member

Truer words were never spoken.

What`s more, cabbage (not the edible kind) really plays a factor in opening up the tonal options. My blue stripe through a 4x12 sounds like God`s gift to guitar amplification. Would I lie?

15. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I own a "black dot" model from 1985. From what I've read, these were the first Mark III's made.

It's a Simu-class with EQ and reverb and sounds great!

16. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Uuuuueeeeehhhhhhh Black Dot. Very tasty. One a dem older ones.

I believe IIRC mine was made in 88.

17. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Dude I'm getting tones out of this thing that are flat out good. Even with the using the Combo Cab. The nice thing about the Graphic is being able to bring up the bottom end that the little Combo Cab dont have. I can get cleans out of this thing with a Tele that I would put up against almost anything including the latest flavor of the month D clone. :banana

The Crunchy sound I'm getting are right there too. As I said before I'm using the Lead Channel for my Crunch Tones and then stepping on a Pedal in either Clean or Crunch to go in many different directions with my Dirty Sounds. By doing this I'm able to get very very pleasing Crunch Tones and then go in what ever direction I want for Solos.

Very Good Very Good

:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow
    :band:band:band:band:band:band

18. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Resurrecting an old thread here. I have a love/hate arrangement with my '87 Mark III red stripe combo. If I don't play any of my other amps, I tend to think the Mark III sounds great. The thing that drives me nuts with this amp is the flabby/muddy bass response and bottom end. I have plugged it into a marshall 4x12 and it STILL sounds muddy and flabby. Any other Mark III players out there know what I'm talking about?? Its the stock black shadow speaker (remember, the 4x12 didn't help it any) and some fairly new Electro harmonix tubes in it. Any ideas??

19. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

I have a Mark III blue stripe. I'm going for the old "Carlton" thing, so the first thing I do with any Boogie combo is put an EVM 12-S (not L) in it. Changes the whole characteristic of the amp. I can run my amp on the class A position and have plenty of steam for most club gigs. Sounds great with my Heritage 535.

20. psychodave

psychodave Senior Member

I like the green simply because it is wired in Pentode. I can get a huge bottom end with it.