Mesa Mark IV vs Orange Rockerverb 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ben_allison, Jul 24, 2008.

1. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Both seem to be killer and versatile. Both seem to have great cleans and a potentially punishing gain channel. I think the Mark IV will be more versatile, but also, it's reported, a bit tricky to dial in.

Thoughts?

2. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

haha... oranges.

so are you saying that overall, the mark iv is a jack-of-all-trades, where the orange is more euphonic?

versatiity is great, i'd rather go home with what sounds best not what "does more."

3. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

ummm,
    i don't think the orange can reproduce the liquid feel and lead that the Mark is able to produce

4. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

ORANGE........everytime!!!

5. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

6. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Mesa Mark IV which being replaced by the Mesa Mark V, which I don't know anything about.

I have a Mesa Mark IV, and it was hard to dial in to get a good tone, with the 6L6 tubes that come stock, tryed the EL-34s in the Class A channel, and it sounded like a Stilletto, not what I was looking for TBH.

The Mesa Mark IV with 6v6 tubes, which have half the power of the 6L6 tubes, make the Mark IV a great tone amp, the 6V6 tube is very musical IMO. I don't have the 85 watts in Simulink, but I do have 50 watts now of very musical tone. The power of the Mark IV is its versitility and using the 6V6 tubes in the amp make it a great tone, and the amp is now very easy to dial in, since most all of the tones sound so good.

7. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

I have always been attracted to Mesa stuff and have bought and returned several. I can't ever get them to sound like 'ME'. I have the Rockerverb 50 and LOVE it. It inspires me to play.

8. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

i had 6v6 in mine for about 1.5 years and decided to sell it recently. while looking for a buyer, i put the el34s back in for ***** and grins, set it to the "classic LA" setting in the manual, and am definitely keeping it now. i really liked the 6v6s when i first put them in but for some reason fell out of love with them.

also, i've come to grips with the fact that i'll never understand this amp so i might as well use a factory setting! i've tweaked the treble slightly and use the eq for final tweaks, but i'm not changing anything now other than master volume. i don't know what a stiletto sounds like, but this thing sounds perfect for the tones i'm going for right now.

9. soldano16

soldano16 Member

That's funny but very believable. I gave up on a Mark III which is grade school compared to a Mark IV being MIT.

10. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Because it's an Orange and you will never find a better, more satisfying distorted sound in your life. I may be biased because I own the Tiny Terror and Rocker 30 combo but I have played lots of amps and nothing satisfies me like Orange. Even the clean channel has a thick, meaty vibe to it that I love. Read the reviews on Harmony Central to get more praise for Orange amps!!

11. rockguitardude

rockguitardude Member

I have an orange rocker 30 and just popped an alnico gold in there. Amazing sound. All the weaknesses are gone with a simple speaker swap in my opinion.

12. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

You mean the Rocker 30 can get better?
    I can't imagine it sounding any better than it already does!!!

13. Radagacuca

Radagacuca Member

orange is plug n play ... hard to get a bad sound out of it.
    go mesa if you like to tweak and rock later.... hard to find the good tones in these. both great amps, i own the rv50 and like it pretty much.

14. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

That is the beauty of the Mark IV, you can get radically different sounds out of the amp, changing the power tubes is simple in the amp, and you can change the sound drastically to suit just about any musical style.

15. theroan

theroan Member

I'm deciding between the 2 as well, I can't choose, I played a Rockerverb today and the clean channel was one of the best I've ever heard, the gain channel not so good, maybe I need to turn up the gain. But I know that Mark will deliver a wallup, but I've never heard the cleans!

16. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

:messedup:messedup:messedup:messedup:messedup

17. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

lol

18. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

Get the Mesa. All us Orange owners voted and we regret to inform you that we decline your application. ;)

19. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

Hahahaha.

No kidding.

Anyone who thinks the gain channel is "not so good" needs to get their damn ears cleaned out.

And don't give me that "tone is subjective" ********.

:Devil:Devil

20. theroan

theroan Member

I dunno, I didn't have the volume all that high in music store. Sounded kind of loose to me. I also like metal. So those are some reasons, I'm open to advice because I hear only good things about the amp.