• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Mesa Mark series amps... what drive pedals have you found work best?

Beto

Silver Supporting Member
man everything works well on mine if ur in the right mode

Sd1 , klones into lead
Any dang TS type, miab into 2
Anything into 1 - its like a clean fender!
This!

Will an OD pedal sound the same in each different channel? No, of course. Will it sound good? Probably yes.

Will a fuzz pedal sound the same into ch. 1 vs. ch. 2? No, it's very, very different! Will it sound good only in the former and like crap in the latter? It's up to you. I for one like them into the clean channel as well -- particularly with heavy modulation. People have been calling crap on all type of distorted guitar sounds for over 60 years by now, so what would we have today if not for those who didn't care about someone else's opinion and dove deeper and deeper into the dirt? :JAM:dude

gatordoc

From my setting notes these are some of my favorite settings. Too many options so I record my settings also. They are different than the one I posted earlier.

To get closest to a Mark IIC+ sound and circuit...

Switches on the back are set to -

TRIODE
SIMUL-CLASS
HARMONICS

Front is set ...

PRESENCE - Pull
LEAD DRIVE - Either
Pull Fat - Either

Fat / Slow Attack...

R1 Gain 6
Pull Bright
Rhy2 Gain 10
Pull Fat
R1 Treble 6
R1+R2 Bass 4
R1+R2 Mid 3
R2 Treble 8
R1 Presence 6
R2 Presence 6
Lead Presence 7
Lead Gain 8
Pull Fat
Lead Treble 8
Lead Bass 3
Lead Mid 4
Lead Drive 7
R1 Master 8
R2 Master 3
Lead Master 3
Output 2
Power. Full
Pentode
Sumil Class
Harmonics / Mid Gain

Bright / Fast Attack...

R1 Gain 6
Pull Bright
Rhy2 Gain 10
Pull Fat
R1 Treble 6
R1+R2 Bass 4
R1+R2 Mid 4
R2 Treble 10
R1 Presence 6
R2 Presence 8
Lead Presence 3
Pull Lead Presence.
Lead Gain 8
Pull Fat
Lead Treble 8
Lead Bass 3
Lead Mid 4
Lead Drive 8
R1 Master 8
R2 Master 3
Lead Master 3
Output 2
Power. Full
Triode / Pentode
Sumil Class
Harmonics
Thanks Stephen for the suggested settings! I'm always on the lookout for new tones from this old amp. I remember the manual mentioning the Mark IIC but didn't give any specific settings for the controls aside from switching on Triode and Harmonics. It's always nice when someone else has already put in time experimenting with these amps as I used to spend a lot of hours tweaking to find the settings I liked enough to record because the controls are so interactive. Sometimes it was like the dog chasing his tail and what seemed intuitively logical didn't work at all in reality!

gatordoc

Rhythm 1 channel or Rhythm 2?
I mostly used RHY1. I never really used RHY2 much due to the shared bass/mids controls, and because I had the 5-band EQ set the way I did for the Lead channel, I couldn't use it with RHY2. I sometimes used RHY2 for just a slightly dirty bluesy tone without pedals.

Thanks Stephen for the suggested settings! I'm always on the lookout for new tones from this old amp. I remember the manual mentioning the Mark IIC but didn't give any specific settings for the controls aside from switching on Triode and Harmonics. It's always nice when someone else has already put in time experimenting with these amps as I used to spend a lot of hours tweaking to find the settings I liked enough to record because the controls are so interactive. Sometimes it was like the dog chasing his tail and what seemed intuitively logical didn't work at all in reality!
What is in the manual is accurate to get the circuit of the IV pretty much the same as the IIC+.
I compared the IV and IIC+ schematic with one other person and added the extra material in my post here.
How you set the knobs and GEQ is up to your taste. It's about getting the circuit the same.

If you have a Mark IV and Mark IIC+ side by side there is going to be some sound differences. But in the mix or live with a band most people would have a difficult time telling them apart.

As for the setting I posted...just use them as a starting point and fine tune it to your rig. That's what I do.

The "Bright / Fast Attack..." setting with "Triode" on the LEAD channel is kind of my version of a Mark IIC+.
Set the Presence to 5 or higher and the GEQ in the V shape to get the classic metal rhythm stuff.

"Fat / Slow Attack..." is the classic IV sound....in the evolution of the Mark series. In my view anyway.

Last edited:

Chris Benson

Thanks for the useful and detailed post. What gain options did you order on your King of Tone? Assuming I'm still alive when my number comes up I plan to go with whatever you have.
This one actually isn't even mine, it belongs to a friend who bought it years ago and doesn't use it. I think it's typical high gain on the red side, 2-jack option. I'm on the list too, 1 year down, who knows how many more to go!

MRCHILL4

for me over the years;
-love pedal kanji, it is virtually a 4th channel all its own. in the crunch channel at half drive with the kanji kicked in, it is the guitar tone from " stay with me " ( faces )
-kot. no explanation needed
-boiling point. its just very special
-skreddy screw driver is the zep tone from the wonton song
-ocd, hated it
-alpha dog is cool too

Trending Topics