Mesa Mark V:25 Cleans......how are they?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dcrab, Jan 29, 2016.

1. dcrab

dcrab Member

im having a dilemma about a new amp. I absolutely loved my Mesa Lonestar's cleans. They were fat and crisp and it took pedals like a champ. However like most of you probably already know it weighed a metric ton. How are the v:25 cleans in comparison if anyone has played both. I know it's hard to compare a small bottle small iron to a big bottle big iron but could one be satisfied with the v:25 after owning a lonestar

2. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Member

If you don't have them to compare around you, I can get over to my buddy's shop this week and AB them.. Are you talking about the LSS or the LSC? LSS would be much closer, it's hilarious when people insist there are 6V6's in there!

3. dcrab

dcrab Member

I truly appreciate it. There isn't a Mark v:25 within a 2 hour drive.

4. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Member

No worries, I could probably get them both through identical speakers (apart from wear time) It all depends what he has in stock.

5. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

I have one. The cleans are very nice. Surprising headroom honestly. It's not going to have the loud headroom or overall punch of a bigger Lonestar but it sounds real good. Takes pedals well too. The drive channel is great. Good loop. Sounds goo direct too.

6. Abandoned

Abandoned Supporting Member

Cleans are my favorite part of the amp. Very very nice

7. macboog

macboog Supporting Member

Yes, cleans are spectacular on this amp. I found them the easiest to dial in and really fun and expressive. The mid control is a secret weapon and opens up the possibility of some amazing jazz and r&b tones.

8. gbyrnes77

gbyrnes77 Member

In the demo for the Mark V at about 2:45 the Mesa rep says the fat clean is based on the lonestar. Assuming the mark v:25 is similar to the mark v it should be in the ballpark of the lonestar clean when set to fat clean.

9. Abandoned

Abandoned Supporting Member

I think it depends on the type of cleans you are looking for. I owned a Lonestar Class for 2 years and I really liked it. The cleans on the Lonestar are airier, whispier and softer. The clean on the MKV25 are more bold and upfront/percussive.

I've also compared the LSC and the LSS and the MKV25 directly in one sitting multiple times for a long period of time.
    To me - if you are considering a MKV25 over a Lonestar you must be interested in crunch and great dirt tones as well. If all you need is amazing cleans (and possibly some warm lead tone dirt) then just stick with the Lonestar.

I personally like the MKV25 more in every way.

dbagchee likes this.