Mesa mark v 25 questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lawliet, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Hey everyone. I've become really interested in mesa amps as of late because I never took the time to look at them as anything more than some of the best metal amps. Turns out the versatility they seem to offer is really unique and right up my alley. I'm particularly interested in the mark v 25 head. I was wondering if it's cleans are closer to fender cleans or vox/chime because of the el84 tubes. Also, how does having an eq built into the amp differ from say using an mxr ten band in the effects loop? The express and rectoverb have caught my eye as well and I wanna know how much Ill be missing out without those handy sliders. I do know the express has a model with sliders there's just a cheap one around where I live without them.

Thanks for any help!!!!!!

2. SteveO

SteveO Member

The EL84s alone won't give it a Vox sound, that comes from the design of the preamp as well. I don't have a V:25, but I do have the 90 watt Mark V, along with a TA-15 and a Mini Rectifier, both of the small ones being EL84 amps. The TA-15 will do Vox all day long, as that is what it was designed to sound like, but the Mini Rectifier doesn't sound even remotely like a Vox.

Mark series amps are actually loosely based on Fender circuits, and that is what their clean channels tend to resemble.

The five-band EQ works the same way that an MXR in the loop would, though the MXR would give you more frequencies to adjust.

3. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Thanks Steve O for getting back to me. I have a few more noobish questions for a mesa owner. In terms of cleans. How usable are they in the mini rectifier? I've read it's the same circuit as the rectoverb. I'll be using a les paul style guitar and I wanna know if they can get crystal clear in the 10 watt or 25 watt mode. Since you have a ta15 do you only use your mini for dirt tones? Aaaaand one more question (sorry) do you see any value in the eq sliders other than convenience or do you think the quality of eq is better than something like an mxr ten band?

4. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

I just took delivery of a new Mark V:25 today. I have been primarily a Fender player for the past 3 decades and was somewhat concerned about the same thing. My main amps for years have been Deluxe Reverb, Vibrolux Reverb, Princeton Reverb and a very nice Tweed Bassman. Although I have owned one or two EL84 amps, I never liked them and have shied away from them since.

This little amp has cleans that BLOW ME AWAY. I'm floored how nice it sounds. I don't have a cab at home (fixing that this weekend!), but I plugged into the two speakers in my Vibrolux Reverb to try the amp out today (a 10" Greenback, and a Emi Ragin Cajun) and it sounds as good or better than the 35 watt 6L6 Vibrolux does through the same speakers/cabinet. Headroom, volume, depth, fullness, will NOT be a problem for me. I played a Strat, a Tele and a Les Paul through it. Simply amazing.

Channel two is also VERY nice. Normally a pedal guy, I think those days may be over for me. This does NOT sound like any EL84 amp I've ever played.

To answer your questions (based solely on the brief time I spent with the amp tonight)... Yes. Crystal clear, DEFINITELY in the 25 watt mode, 10 Watts may break up fairly early, but the controls, specifically the Gain, and Mid controls are very interactive... you should be able to dial in a good clean no matter the wattage or guitar used, as long as you're not trying to get Blackface Twin level of clean. The EQ is VERY useful and you can get a TON of tone shaping options out of it. moving a slider just a small amount makes a noticeable change. I plan to use it for a solo boost since it's footswitchable, but if you were trying to dial in a perfect tone shape, you could do it with this EQ.

Another pleasant surprise for me is the reverb. Not a surf-soaked blackface 'verb , but it has more splash than I'll ever need and it sounds nice and musical... I thought there was no way that would happen since there is absolutely a minimum amount of room for a decent tank... but they found a way to do it.

5. djw

djw Member

The mini rec's cleans are quite good, and can stay clean with a fair amount of volume. The mini's clean tone may not have the same kind of depth and (because of the MkV 25 graphic eq) may not be quite as versatile as the V. But it's not bad at all, and the different modes in each channel provide quite a few options to play around with.

6. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Thanks for the help guys, I guess I'm gonna wait try to wait for a deal to pop up on one locally and go from there. Im getting rid of my Orange OR15 because although awesome, just not enough cleans to be found (sad face)

7. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

8. Lawliet

Lawliet Member