Mesa Mark V combo owners...let's talk about that stock speaker

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
I keep coming back to this amp (at my local dealer) and playing it, and one day I love it, the next time I'm thinking "meh...."

Was wondering if any of you Mark V combo owners changed out the stock speaker to something, say, a little more flat in response, like a EVM12L, or Scholz Classic??? I'm thinking that it's possibly the stock speaker (and whatever frequency flavors that it adds to the amp) that I'm just not "jee-hawing" with as I go back and forth on the sounds I'm hearing.

Now granted, I play at low volumes (although I like it on the 90w setting, even though I don't get it much above a volume at which you can still basically talk while playing). I play exclusivley in a church setting (professionally) where the amp will be mic-ed. I play exclusivley humbucker guitars, and while I play Christian music, I do so with a southern classic rock vibe!!! :banana
I'd be interested to hear of any speaker swaps you guys have done, and how it improved the sound of this amp.

Thanks!:wave

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
I love Mesas. I do not like the speakers Mesas pairs with their amps. I do think V30's sound good with Mesas- but only if paired with something else. I used to think I hated V30's. Then I realized it was just V30's in Mesas (as the only speaker or paired with another V30). I have never liked the Black Shadows/C90's. Not bad but I change them out if I get an amp or cab with them.

I personally really like GB M speakers for Rectos and a V30 & GB H combo for Marks (if only using one speaker then an GB H type speaker).

And against all Internet conventional wisdom- I think the Cannibas Rex is the best speaker for the TA series. It tightens up the bass, evens the kids a slight bit and rounds out the highs just a tad to keep it from being piercing. In fact the CR is my one of my favorite speakers for Vox type amps. But the RA sounded best with the same speakers as the Marks, for me.

theroan

I switched out the C90 for a V30.I have an extension cab with another V30 if I want to go to 90 watts.

IMHO the Mark V has a natural scoop in the tone. This scoop is further accentuated by the C90. With a V30 you can restore some those mids. I just found the C90 made everything sound harsh.

ledzep618

I too am not wild about Mesa stock speaker selections. I would drop an EVM12L in that MkV and then forget about it forever.

Right now with my Single Recto I'm pairing a WGS ET90 and WGS Reaper HP. It works really, really well. I really love Creambacks with most Mesa amps too.

SteveO

I switched out the C90 for a V30.I have an extension cab with another V30 if I want to go to 90 watts.

IMHO the Mark V has a natural scoop in the tone. This scoop is further accentuated by the C90. With a V30 you can restore some those mids. I just found the C90 made everything sound harsh.
This is the first time that I have ever heard anyone describe a Mark series amp as 'scooped'. Most of the time people comment on how prominent the mids are!

tele_jas

Mine came stock with the C90, but there was something I didn't like about it. I listened on YouTube and I liked all the V30 clips better. I then listened to comparisons of the V30 vs Eminence Governor.

I ended up getting the Governor and really like it! I run my amp at 45w and even if I do run it at 90w, I rarely turn it up much over half way.

I did put the C90 in a 1x12 cab I had and tried them both together and the sound was HUGE! Makes me want a 2x12 cab with a C90 and a V30 (or Governor/WGS).

Last edited:

enigma

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned many Mesa Boogie amps and, IMO, V30 sounds best with them followed by EVM-12 speakers (for 50w+ amps).

SteveO

They really do sound good with the Vintage 30s. I have the head and a few cabs, including an open-back 1x12 with a C90 in it. That cab sounds good for clean sounds, but doesn't really float my boat for channels two and three.