Mesa Mark V or Roadster/Dual Rec?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tele81, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Tele81

Tele81 Member

I've currently got a Marshall JVM 410h and I'm looking for an amp to pair with it. I like the fact that my Marshall is basically a library of tones. While not nailing them exactly they are close enough for my liking. I've currently got it set up for edge of breakup and crunch type tones and it excels at these IMO. I don't leave mode 1 in OD 1 or OD2 so the "noise/compression" are non issues for me. I'm looking for a super versatile amp to pair with it and I've got it boiled down to the Mark V and a rectifier or roadster. I'm not overly concerned with crunch tones(I like my marshall for that). I also love the super heavy rectifier tones as well as the marks gain. My question is which clean tone do you prefer? Which of these two beast gain get closer to that vintage fender clean with nice bounce and sag? I enjoy channel switchers for the conveniece and versatility so please no recommendation of single channel amps that do it "better". Open to suggestions on other channel switchers as well that are not "marshall" voiced. Thanks!

2. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

The Road King is one of my favourite amps ever, so I'd always recommend that. The roadster is probably just as good as you have the EL34 thing covered anyway.

The MkV is also incredible. Honestly you can't go wrong with either. Roadster is more aggressive, MkV is smoother with more mids. Get whichever suits you best.

3. borisson

borisson Member

i think for the cleans they might be very close (both based on the lonestar circuit)..the main difference will be the high gain...the mark V is better for the lead tone where the rectifier/roadster is better for the crushing chugga chugga stuff...at least from my experience...i used to own the roadking 2 now playing the mark v

4. Geetarman74

Geetarman74 Member

I concur. Owned the Roadking 2 as well. Now I own the Mark V. Both are incredible amps with useful tones...but if I was going for beautiful cleans (with lots of tweakability) and fluid lead tones...Mark V wins.

5. seibertdr

seibertdr Member

I have a Road King II. I love the versatility of this amp. I love that has different tubes that can be mixed. I also have two different cabs. One open and one closed. I can switch to either or have both on set per channel. It is a beast but does everything I want it to.

6. somedude

somedude Member

I own a Mark V and a Roadster.

I prefer the Roadsters clean. I find it slightly bigger/warmer than the Mark Vs clean, probably due to the increased headroom of the Recto. The Mark V clean is a bit stiffer and more precise.

That said, by the time you add drums and bass you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Both amps contain the Lone Star clean circuit attached to different power amps, and IMO that accounts for much of the difference between the two.

In the end the real choice boils down to the Recto's chugging rhythm vs the Mark V's crunch and lead tones.

7. Guitarwiz007

Guitarwiz007 Silver Supporting Member

Try them both. Great amps both but I prefer the Mark for clean.

8. SteveO

SteveO Member

There are multiple clean voicings on the Mark V, fat mode on channel one is the Lonestar circuit. Tweed mode is completely different, and the one I have been using a lot lately. Channel two can do some "clean with a touch of hair" as well, particularly if you swap V2 for a 12at7.

9. LesPaul70

LesPaul70 Member

I beg to differ.
    While it is true that both have clean modes based on the Mark I/Lonestar design, they really sound nothing alike. The preamp circuits may be similar in certain ways but the Recto and Mark power stages are different, resulting in totally different amp feel and sound. The Mark is very tight and midrange-focused, the Recto (Road King, Roadster) is loose and has a wider frequency band. This also applies to their clean sounds.

For reference, I have a RK II and a Mark V as well as a couple other Recto and Mark amps. The Clean/Fat modes on the Road King II are warm and immensely deep; on the Mark V, the same modes are more tighter and more focused. While you cannot help but love the beautiful bell-like cleans of the RK II, I discovered that the Mark V cleans were actually better in a band situation - the focus and note definition allow you to hear what exactly you are playing, every single note in a chord. Not so with the Road King.

So basically, it's a question of what you are looking for - a sniper rifle (Mark) or a shotgun (Rectifier). Both have their uses, their pros and cons.

The Mark, by its nature, is perfect for tight riffing and focused, singing leads. OTOH, some players find its sound dry and its feel stiff. A Recto will give you that huge, thunderous, beastly mean distorted sound but some players find it too loose and lacking definition and thus unsuitable for tight metal riffing and soloing (unless they use an OD pedal to tighten it up).

For playing in stereo with a Marshall, I would personally get a Recto. They complement each other excellently.

10. protest

protest Member

I think everyone has covered the differences pretty well. One other thing to consider is volume. The Roadster will not do awesome, tight metal tones without a lot of volume. The reason I wound up selling mine was because I couldn't play it at the volume it needed to do bone crushing metal.

11. Mikeishness

Mikeishness Member

Disclaimer: I am an at-home hobbyist player so I don't have any experience with these amps in real life gigging situations.

I have had the Mark V for a couple years, and recently got a Roadster. For me the Roadster is easier to dial in. With the Mark V I am constantly fighting off the harsh ice-picky tones, while the Roadster feels warmer for me from the start. It could be that I haven't invested enough time figuring out how to dial in the Mark V though - apparently it takes some people quite a while to get it.

It seems the reason the Mark V has graphic EQ built-in is because you need it to tame the ice picks. I don't miss having it on the Roadster though.

Again, YMMV, especially in full band gigging usage. I haven't done that in a long time, before I got these two amps.

12. Cem

Cem Member

Mark V all the way!

13. Guitarwiz007

Guitarwiz007 Silver Supporting Member

And LesPaul70 for the win. Great layman's explanation of the two. I will say that the Mark V is definitely harder to dial in but the tones are so worth it.

14. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I prefer the Mark V for more versatility. All 9 voices are great. It is much more manageable at lower volumes. If I only played live, I might prefer Rectifier.

15. jb's 52

jb's 52 Member

Good timing, I've had my Mark V for over 5 years now but just got a Roadster in yesterday. I'll be playing the Roadster with my band for the first time tonight so I'm still not 100% on how it sits in a band environment nor a gig environment for that matter.

If it's only this you are looking for then you'll want the Mark V. As a previous poster said, this can get into "ice pick" territory whereas I'm yet to get quite the same with the Roadster. IMO, the clean, fat, tweed on the Roadster is a little more rounded on the top end, somewhat compressed, and not as piercing as the Mark V plus it's voiced differently. With that being said, I've had to compress or roll the treble down while gigging the clean on the Mark V. The Mark V's clean can come in a little over the top at times...which is a good thing when needed.

Now, if you're secretly wanting that "recto-thing" the Mark V won't get you there...I've tried...hehe...that's why I ended up getting the Roadster as well. IMO, the Mark V is a bit tighter and won't give up that bottom like the Roadster does.

16. Phil M

Phil M Member

A little bit older thread, but how is the Roadster working for you, jb's 52?