• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Mesa Mark V vs Multi Watt Dual Rec

Nazgul666

I'm gassing for a Mesa.

Huge Petrucci fan but my band plays a mix of Maiden, Queensryche, Dio, Priest, Metallica.

I actually already have a 6505+ as my main amp but which Mesa do you think would be best for this and why?

Thanks,

Mike

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
Mark amps are much more versatile. They tend to have have glassier and/or meatier cleans, do the "in between" and touch sensitive stuff well, can do a good rhythm crunch with dynamics, and do the smooth liquid lead thing like nobody's business.

Rectos defined big bottom chugga chugga. They tend to have huge lush cleans and of course the stomp. Not as good for in between and personally I don't like the solo tones but that's just me. Some folks love them.

It's really all about what you like, want, and need. Personally I'd go Mark V since the mark can cover more recto territory than a recto can cover Mark territory (and Marks cover more territory in general, I need the versatility). But if you mostly need clean and chugga, the recto is the way to go. For the music you are describing, you could go either way and be OK but I suspect the recto might be a better fit.

You just might like either Mesa better than the 6505....

You might think the Mark lacks in gain compared to a 6505 or a Rec. But that said, it's a different tone compared to the others which are somewhat similar.

ungarn

Get a used Mk V...no problem getting close enough to those tones...unless a die hard marshall midrange fanatic.

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
I have the Mark V, but I don't chugga chugga much.
I read a neat description comparing the two.
Mark vs Recto is like a scalpel vs a sledgehammer, and both are great at what they do.

gixxerrock

I have played them both and prefer the Mark V. More flexible, and it sounds much better at low volumes where the Recto needs some volume before it starts sounding good. If I only played at band volumes it would be much closer.

XmasTree

i would go with the Mark V but only 'cause it'd be my desert island amp

but if you used both your 6505+ AND a Dual Rec together, that'd be a monster sound!
i'd probably take that over the Mk V

but in the end the MKV is just SO cool and can do so much.

cardinal

The scalpel v. sledgehammer analogy works.

One thing though, is you can boost the Recto to get it to compress more, but you can't "uncompress" the Mark (which IMHO has a pretty compressed OD structure, unlike the Recto which IMHO is very uncompressed).

rummy

Silver Supporting Member
I think the 6505 is already capable of doing what you're describing.
For a different flavor, I vote Mark. With the graphic EQ, you can get somewhat close to the rectifier sound.

cardinal

The 6505+ I played was like a razor. Recto is very different from that. Different from a Mark V, too. All three are pretty different.

Trending Topics