Mesa Mark V25: best (mesa) cab for small room home use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by markb007, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Dig ?

Dig ? Member

Mini rec cab is very boxy and small sounding imho. Any other cab will sound better

2. Jeronimo

Jeronimo Member

I use the widebody front ported 1x12 with my mkV:90 combo. Sounds really big to me with plenty of bass.

3. somedude

somedude Member

FWIW... I like the mini cabs, but they do sound different from the Recto cabs. One of the things I like about my mini Rectoverb:25 is that I can get old school small amp on the verge of dying type sounds, and for that the smaller, boxier sounding 1x12s actually work better than the bigger cabs.

But... for the sounds the majority of people get Mesa's for the bigger cabs are IMO a better choice.

4. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

5. XSinner13X

XSinner13X Member

Have one on a loan star wide body, that 90w black shadow is a nice driver.
    It barely fit's into the category of home use as the little S.O.B.'s are LOUD even cut down to 10 watts.

I have this one and I do love it.
    This thing breathes Fire...
    and on a quad-box it gets unbelievably in your face.

[​IMG]

markb007 likes this.
  6. gbyrnes77

gbyrnes77 Member

This is what I like about the mini rec cab too. I tried the Mesa 2x12s several times but prefer the old school tones from the 1x12 to the big open ones the 2x12 provides, especially for home use. That being said the big sound is pretty damn good too.

7. markb007

markb007 Member

Yeah this sounds a bit like my conundrum, prob would prefer the sound of the 2x12 but prob be able to get more from the amp at home volume levels with a 1x12..

8. XSinner13X

XSinner13X Member

Petrucci has been using the 1x12 recto cabs as monitors live.
    IMO, the wide body open back fills a room better, but I prefer open backed cabs as it is.

9. somedude

somedude Member

There isn't a big volume difference between the two. Not enough to make or break the sound of an amp anyway.

10. Agent76

Agent76 Member

An open back will be louder or seem louder because it has omni directional sound. Id recommend a Mini Rec 1x12 straight cab. It will sound great. The 10w mode on the Mark on top of the mini rec cab would be a nice setup.

11. markb007

markb007 Member

Any preference for straight over slant, was thinking projection wise if sitting on the floor would be better toward my ears or you prefer off the floor? Cheers

12. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

:huh
    ALL Mesa amps have had a master volume with the exception of the now long discontinued (but still great nonetheless) Blues Angel.

13. Agent76

Agent76 Member

Ive always just preferred straight cabs, ymmv.

14. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

I got the V30 in a 1x12 ported Theile cab. It is magnificent.

markb007 likes this.
  15. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

In the present context, the term "master" does not refer to the channel volume, but the output volume, which is not the same thing.

16. Agent76

Agent76 Member

On the Mark V (or other high end Mesa amps) they will have the output/solo functions. The output volume can lower or raise the overall loudness of the amplifier without affecting the sound of the amp by adding more gain or anything.

The 10w triode mode on the Mark Five 25 is very manageable and can be played at bedroom volume.

17. theroan

theroan Member

I use a wide body with a V30 in it. Sounds awesome. But it's true the full size Mark V is quieter.

18. markb007

markb007 Member

Just a quick update ... couldn't decide on big small, up,down lol (horizontal vertical) etc so just bought a 4x12 tradional recto cab ... hope the Neighbours don't mind :p thx all for suggestions :)

19. primal

primal Supporting Member

This is what I used with mine. Great cab and comes with the matching boogie logo
    Front ported wide body compact closed back cab (wow that was a lot of adjectives) with a vintage 30

http://www.gelbmusic.com/p-1070-mes...speaker-cabinet-0112wcv01g01p01h01c01v30.aspx

20. Mtnbkr123

Mtnbkr123 Member

Nice!!! GREAT choice. Congrats.

markb007 likes this.