Mesa Maverick acting strange need help

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by stonewolf, Aug 30, 2006.

1. stonewolf

stonewolf Member

My Mesa Maverick is suddenly doing some strange things:

a) lead channel is bleeding into the clean channel.

b) lead channel suddenly cuts in and out

c) clean channel distorting and noisy

Already tried to swap out 12ax7's and el84's (all of them) and still no fix. Also tried in different outlets and power strips. ...Any thoughts fellas?
    I personally never had this problem since the 'ol Randall RG-80's, never expected this from mesa. please help!

2. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

I've never heard of that happening with Mavericks' before. Hmmm

Mine was real sick for a long time and I tried everything. Swapped in and out power tubes. I even got two sets from Mesa, and still the thing sounded like crap. Took it to a good tech in Seattle, he put in some JJ EL84's and a JJ ECC83 in V1 and voila! It was fixed.

My point is this. I have found Mavericks to be very very very tempermental with tubes. How good are the tubes you are using and swapping?

I thought my tubes we fine and just couldn't be the problem. Until I got some real good tubes. Now the thing sounds better than ever.

Steve

3. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Did you try the rectifier.

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

It's probably some sort of channel-switching problem, possibly a faulty LDR (the lead channel has one at its input to mute it when the rhythm channel is in use, and the rhythm channel has one about halfway along for the opposite function) - or the circuit that controls them. If it's behaving erratically that could cause the lead channel to cut out, distortion to bleed into the clean channel and possibly make the clean channel distort too. It shouldn't be the main switching relay since that wouldn't cause channel bleed either, although it might cause cutting out and bad sound on one or other channel.

It could also be some sort of preamp power supply problem. It shouldn't be the rectifier since that wouldn't cause those problems either.

5. stonewolf

stonewolf Member

Thanks Phillips, I was figuring on the phase inverter but the channel switching LDR makes better sense, in fact when the footswitch is used there is a 'popping' sound which is not normal either. At one point the lead channel was completely out until the footswitch was engaged. Also, when the lead ch master is on 0 there is still a little sound coming out. I'm bringing it to t tech in town with these ideas...