Mesa Maverick reverb question

Hello,

I have a question regarding the reverb on the mesa maverick 2x12. According to the manual it states:

The MAVERICK has an individual REVERB control per channel. This enables different amounts of the rich ALL TUBE REVERB to be mixed with the dry signal of each channel. It is normal for extreme settings of the REVERB control to slightly alter alter the character of the channel as the voicing of the REVERB circuit becomes more dominant in the mix
The reverb seems to alter the tone drastically, even at lower settings. And it isn't very pleasing. The tone gets very thin, hollow and trebly, if that makes sense. It also introduces quite a bit of noise. I tried different tubes and it is the same issue. Is this normal? I tend to just keep it turned completely down anyway. I kinda wanted to sell it but with this problem I feel like I will have to hang on to it. Can any maverick users chime in?

Thanks!

Suave Eddie

No experience with the Maverick, but I do have two other Mesa amps that have the best reverb I've ever used. I don't think what you're describing is normal.

Tommy_G

My Maverick has no issues with the reverb. I use a bit on each channel, enough for a little ambience.

I can't imagine selling this amp. While it is still a work in progress to optimize it, this is what I can tell you. The new Mullard RI EL84s go very nice with this amp. I bet the TAD EL84s would be great also.

2xv30's give a real honk to this amp. Not the right speakers. The tone improved immensely with the G12-35XC (which also has a 55Hz cone like the v30, but not the spike or the honk).

But really, the amp is killer with early 80's Cele G12-65s. Holy MOFU!

I should be receiving my Jensen Raptor next week. When I heard that speaker demo'd I figured it was "the one" for the amp. If it doesn't work out I'll be stealing a pair of the G12-65's out of my 4x12.

Heavy beast of an amp is it's major issue. If I gigged more, I'd be converting to a head and cab. This amp has great cleans and lead tones, best live gigging amp I've ever played. Sings, crunchs, nice open vibey cleans. What's not to love?

Thanks for the speedy responses I really appreciate it! Sadly the only tech I knew moved away long ago and since I had taken a break from playing I didn't need one for a while. I will have to do some research to find another tech. It won't be fun hauling this thing as it weighs an absolute ton. It has Eminence EM12's in it which add an additional 30+ lbs. Pretty nutty! :eek: I'm also a very scrawny guy so... :oops: I wouldn't mind keeping it but my marshall gets much more playtime and I could put the funds towards another guitar. But I could always just do a bit of saving money. It also needs to be ear splitting loud for it to sound its best. I tend to use the clean channel with pedals and rarely ever use the lead channel. I thought about just getting a reverb pedal but I don't really use effects apart from an OD or treble booster. The amp is quite a bit on the dark side.

I do dig it. I just like my marshall more. :p And knowing my local craigslist this thing would never sell anyway lol. I just want it to be working properly.

Tommy_G

Thanks for the speedy responses I really appreciate it! Sadly the only tech I knew moved away long ago and since I had taken a break from playing I didn't need one for a while. I will have to do some research to find another tech. It won't be fun hauling this thing as it weighs an absolute ton. It has Eminence EM12's in it which add an additional 30+ lbs. Pretty nutty! :eek: I'm also a very scrawny guy so... :oops: I wouldn't mind keeping it but my marshall gets much more playtime and I could put the funds towards another guitar. But I could always just do a bit of saving money. It also needs to be ear splitting loud for it to sound its best. I tend to use the clean channel with pedals and rarely ever use the lead channel. I thought about just getting a reverb pedal but I don't really use effects apart from an OD or treble booster. The amp is quite a bit on the dark side.

I do dig it. I just like my marshall more. :p And knowing my local craigslist this thing would never sell anyway lol. I just want it to be working properly.

Dark?

Holy crap. It's everything I can do to tame the brightness. It needs to be at a band level to sound its best for sure. Right with the drums. That's why I don't use it much at home. But, its bright! not Dark, no matter the volume!

I think you may have other issues with it, and it may very well come from the same issue as effecting your reverb.

I've never tried an EM12 - but I wouldn't expect that to be a good speaker for the amp, but heavy and me don't get along.

Dark?

Holy crap. It's everything I can do to tame the brightness. It needs to be at a band level to sound its best for sure. Right with the drums. That's why I don't use it much at home. But, its bright! not Dark, no matter the volume!

I think you may have other issues with it, and it may very well come from the same issue as effecting your reverb.

I've never tried an EM12 - but I wouldn't expect that to be a good speaker for the amp, but heavy and me don't get along.
lol. It does brighten up quite a bit when I crank it up. But overall it seems dark compared to other amps I've owned and the marshall I currently own. I guess something wonky is definitely going on with the amp. It already had the EM12's in it when I got it. They are supposed to be EV12 clones, but I've never played through an EV12 so I don't know how accurate that is. Don't get me wrong the amp does sound really good. But maybe it could sound better if I have a tech go through it. I'll have to ask a buddy of mine if he knows anyone. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

Tommy_G

lol. It does brighten up quite a bit when I crank it up. But overall it seems dark compared to other amps I've owned and the marshall I currently own. I guess something wonky is definitely going on with the amp. It already had the EM12's in it when I got it. They are supposed to be EV12 clones, but I've never played through an EV12 so I don't know how accurate that is. Don't get me wrong the amp does sound really good. But maybe it could sound better if I have a tech go through it. I'll have to ask a buddy of mine if he knows anyone. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.
How I mistyped ???? I meant to say I expect the EM12 would be good with the amp. Duh.

forgivenman

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve had one for years and feel like I’m still learning new tricks for dialing it in. My tone had a strange midrange thing going on, almost like a cocked wah, for a long time on the clean channel. Then I scaled back the volume on the fx loop and the problem was solved. Last night I turned the treble down on the clean channel and suddenly the amp seemed to brighten up- go figure. Like all Mesas the tone controls are all very interactive.

Reyybarra

Silver Supporting Member
Ive had multiple Mavericks and never noticed what you are saying.

I have a 1x12 and love the reverb. My roomie has 2x12/maverick head and no problems there either...

Thanks for the responses! I haven't toyed with the amp since I created this thread. I will check the reverb cables when I have the chance and see if they are reversed. Hopefully that is what the problem is and can be resolved. I'll try messing with the fx loop knob and see how it affects the tone. Does it do anything even without anything in the loop? Guess I will find out tomorrow! :)

Trending Topics