Mesa Maverick/The Poor man's Dumble

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by matte, Nov 17, 2005.

1. matte

matte Senior Member

I've had the opportunity to play through and record with a number of Dumbles over the years. There's a give/squishiness in their response that works for a number of well respected players. It's no secret that the early Boogies were fashioned after the brilliant HAD's work. It's no surprise to me that my favourite Boogie, which is totally slept on would bear a more than cursory resemblance (as regards feel and voicing) to HAD's amps.

I have no doubt that there are several amp designers on this forum (who have a much better grasp of amp design) who will either negate or affirm my perspective based on the circuit. That being said, it's remarkable how similar this amp feels to me, regardless of the power tubes.

2. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Maverick 4x10 is stellar. never tried the 12's much. Been threatening to get one. At some point a deal will present itself.

3. Robertito

Robertito Member

I have always understood that Randall Smith came up with the idea for the Boogie long before HAD's amps were popular. He patented the Mk II, for example. I could be wrong...

4. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i was under the same assumption. either way, there are some really nice boogies out there!!!!

5. mude

mude Supporting Member

Agreed on the feel in some ways. The "clean" channel (which dirties up nicely) is one of my favorites.

Absolutely one of the used bargains that can be found IMO.

Evan.

6. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I think HAD was first. SRV got a couple boogies when he was working with Bowie because "they sound a lot like a dumble"

7. johnspeck

johnspeck Member

Funny you mention that, because I was recently tweaking an early Boogie and totally nailed that cool kinda Frisell/Carlton/Scofield touch-sensitive clean light/dirty hard pick attack without even touching the volumes, and messing with the volumes/tone pots just gets even more cool tones.

8. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

D*mble did it in the late 60's, a few years before Randy. Randy was just got better known as a result of being more business oriented. More than a few people speculated that parts of the original Mesa design were inspired by Dumbles.
    Gil Ayan once ran the whole thing down on a thread, but I forget the ending. Gil ?

9. Srini

Srini Guest

Well, Carlton was a Boogie user before he got Dumbled.

Srini

10. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I loved my Maverick head! It was such a great piece of gear. I loved flipping the bright switch and cranking channel one...GORGEOUS.

oh man oh man. I miss it. :(

11. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I have been saying for a while now that untill I get my Dumble my MKIIC+ will have to do. Oh don't feel bad for me. ;)

[​IMG]

12. matte

matte Senior Member

My heart's pumping piss for you. Only the most sought after Boogie to console you. ;)

13. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Yep! Just ask Terry Hyatt.

14. matte

matte Senior Member

Hey Steve! Gimme a shout over the weekend if you get a minute. You gotta hear this thing. Perfect blend of sing and string on the gain channel.

15. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Matte,

I have had three Mav's. Two 1X12 combos and a head. I have been tempted by the 2X12 and 4X10 combos. The best Mesa made IMHO. Great amp indeed. I want another. For $600 you can't do much better. My Uber arrives Monday BTW. Carvin By Friday.

Re: The Maverick vs my Current Two Rock- No Comparison. My Two Rock kills it in every way, but it costs a bunch more too.

16. Mike

Mike Member

I was in a band w/ a guy who ran a Maverick head thru a Matchless 4x10 cab. Ran a P90 Les Paul with it -- sounded great.

Also saw a guy here in town doing jazz with a Guild Artist Award thru a Maverick 2x12 combo, and got to play it. Gorgeous, as I remember it.

Last year a guy I was jamming with asked what I thought of Mavericks and I said I thought they were stellar for the dough, so he bought a 1x12 combo and brought it over.

It was a little noisy, but flat sounding as compared to the other amps I have around here, including older Two-Rocks. Like lots of things, it wasn't how I'd remembered it....

Could have been the 1x12 combo, but I don't think so.

Mike

17. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Interesting thread, Matte.
    This is now out-of-production, right?

18. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

I have a Mav. head and the clean channel is pretty darn good, but needs more head room. Thinking of messing around with an 12AT7 in the V1 to see if that helps. I don't care for the gain channel but I did end up using it for slide on this record I am producing and playing on. I just could not find what I was looking for in other amps and tried it for the heck of it. Man, it kills for slide. I am going to post some of those tracks soon.
    The clean channel sounds really good with my Maxon 808. Not even remotely a match for my Two Rock, but I carry the head often for a spare, it's small and really light.

Peace,
    Duffy

19. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

I've had a Mav 1X12 and 2X12, and now have a LSS. I think the LSS nails all the tones of the Mav, and then some. You might want ot check one out. Definately not as good a bargain as a used Mav.

20. TubeAmpNut

TubeAmpNut Member

Architectually, the Maverick is nothing like a Dumble. The closest Mesa is a Mark II. The neat thing about the Mav is the 'fat' switch, which changes one stage (before the tone stack) to a cathode follower.

Isn't it interesting that people rever Dumble so much they are afraid to write his name? It did't happen so much in this thread, but too frequently I see D*mble, Humble, Rumbel, etc. It reminds me of Monty Python's "The Life of Brian" where you get stoned if you say "Jehoveh"!

Jehoveh, Jehoveh...! er, Dumble, Dumble, Dumble!

:p

BK