Mesa Mini Rec vs TA-15 vs ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by civic2, Feb 4, 2012.

1. civic2

civic2 Member

So I'm really interested in these tiny, simple, heads. But there isn't a dealer nearby that carries them, So I have to rely on testimonials and youtube videos to get an idea of the sound.
    I think I kinda like the TA-15 more, but no mid in the eq? No effects loop? These seem like pretty big downs to me.

I'm just looking for a good bedroom amp with a wide variety of tones and big sound that has the potential to compete with a drummer. Gonna sell ALL of my other amps that I've been collecting since I was 14 as they're either junk or don't fit my needs anymore and just start over with one good bedroom amp.

2. Miles

Miles Member

Both are great. The TA is going to be more geared towards smoother tones, the Mini Recto can get meaner. There will likely be a bit of overlap since they're both EL84 based. What style of music are you doing?

3. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

i was itching to get a mini recto to get back into the rectumfrier family. the assholes at the only mesa dealer nearby don't have one in stock and never gave me a call back about when they should have it after they talked to their mesa rep.

they must be doing real well b/c they don't want to work for any business. Ridiculous.

I ended up just getting a single recto ROV. I just don't believe that the mini can get true RECTO tone with an el84. It's overdriven. sure, but it doesn't sound like a recto on the YT clips I watched.

It sounds like my rectos do when they're played with the volume really low, which is not why i <3 rectifiers.

again, I haven't played one b/c my local mesa dealer doesn't like doing business.

4. civic2

civic2 Member

All over the place. I main a Telecaster standard, so bluesy, jazz, vintage type stuff. But I also have a 7 string with blackouts to get mean with.

I guess I just want someone to tell me the rec can cover almost as much ground as the TA, in regards to it's non metal side.

5. cosmodog

cosmodog Member

A few weeks ago, I was looking for a new amp. I played both the mini rec and the TA15, as well as the full size recs and some other Mesas, as well as a Marshall JVM. After all that, I liked the sound of the dual rec and the mini rec best. The TA15, to me, just didn't pop at all, no matter what setting, clean, dirty, jangly, whatever. It was just ok, but no sparkle. I think the mini has a damn good clean channel (I liked it better than the TA15), but you won't get as varied on the dirt side as the TA. But the dirt it does get is definitely in the ball park of the dual rec. The same? No, but really damn close, and it actually sparkled a bit more. AFAIK, a good portion of the signature sound is preamp OD, not power amp OD, so the EL84's, while they make a difference, it's not that big of a difference. I walked out of the store with the mini.

Now, having said all that... when I got it home, it started to crackle. I took it back the next day and they swapped all the preamp tubes, but still had the crackle. I took the opportunity to play some more amps, many of the Egnaters, and I actually walked out with a new Egnater Vengeance that I like even more than the mini rec for only slightly more money. The Vengeance is one amazing and versatile amp, with Fender-like cleans and many flavors of dirty. But it doesn't exactly meet your "bedroom" amp description :) You might want to consider the smaller Egnaters (tweaker or rebel) as an option though.

6. Miles

Miles Member

Well, I've played a ton of styles with Recto amps that were absolutely non metal. Indie, rock, alternative, grunge, classic...Rectos are super versatile. So, I think the mini rec would be versatile enough to cover a lot of bases.