Mesa Mini Rectifier + HD500 issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by waygorked, Feb 20, 2012.

1. waygorked

waygorked Member

I'm getting a terrible noise using the 4 cable method to run my HD500 with my Mesa Mini Rectifier. My setup is guitar -> HD500 input, HD500 send -> amp input, amp send -> HD500 return, HD500 output -> amp return. There is a huge buzz that develops when the loop is engaged. The frequency of the buzz with take on a lower frequency hum if I move around the input cable to the amp (from the HD500 send), and will also change if I move the head around or rotate it 90 degrees. With the loop switched off, and putting all of my HD500 effects before the send (and thus before the amp), everything is dead quiet. But this defeats the purpose of having a loop for time based effects, which for me is absolutely necessary.

Clearly there is some form of EMF shielding issue somewhere in my system. I have tried the HD500 in the same configuration with my other amp (Blackstar HT20), in the same place in the room, with no problems. I have tried different cables with the same results. I have tried different HD500 grounding and pad settings, with no benefit. All other configurations with the HD500 are acceptably quiet, until I use the 4 cable method. The issue seems to be somewhat variable, ranging from bad to worse for factors I do not yet understand. I have tried a power conditioner with no benefit as well.

Any idea what may be causing this, or more importantly, what to do about it?

2. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    The Mini Rect has a high quality Mesa series loop I understand.
    I'd expect your prob to be the Line 6 thing but....

1st - try any other pedal in 4cm in the Mini's loop to check it's working fine.

2nd - ditch the HD500 :) Line 6 is very famous for poor build quality, cheap tinny parts and bugs galore.

In fact if the MFX won't work with a Mesa it's a blessing in disguise imo hehe cause you're literally mixing Coke with Bollinger.
    Whats the point of owning an expensive fantastic tube amp if you're gonna ruin it with a cheap n nasty MFX

3. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Your plugging your guitar into the HD-500, which is then plugged into the front end of the amp, which is then then plugged back into the HD-500 via the effects loop send into a return on the HD500, which is then plugged back into the via the HD500 output into the effects return?!? My head is spinning trying to grasp that working properly. Shouldn't the HD500 either go in front of the amp as in guitar -> HD 500 in -> HD-500 out -> amp or in the effects loop as in guitar -> amp -> effects loop send -> hd500 in -> hd500 out -> effects loop return?

4. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Look here:
    http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemFiles/Manual/Line6PodHD500QuickStart.pdf

Scroll down to the page that has the rear connections.

To use in front of your amp: plug your guitar into the guitar input on the HD500. Then plug one of the unbalanced outputs (either right or left) into the front of your amp. Rock on.

To use in the effects loop: Plug your guitar into the amp. Plug the effects loop send of your amp into the guitar input on the HD500 (you should play with the PAD switch to see which setting sounds best). Plug one of the unbalanced outputs (either right or left) of the HD500 into the effects loop return on your amp. Rock on.

To use just the power amp of your Mini-Rectiier (not sure this will work with a series loop): Plug your guitar into the guitar input of the HD500. Plug one of the unbalanced outputs of the HD500 (either right or left) into the effects loop return on the Mini-Recto. You will be bypassing the Mini's pre-amp doing this. Not sure how it will work with the serial loop.

I'm still trying to grasp how what you described would work, but I imagine a horrible ground loop at best.

5. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

It seems that Line6 and Mesa amps don't play well together using the 4-cable method. I, as well as others in the M-series threads, haven't had much luck using the 4-CM in Recto-type amps. BZZZZZZZZ. It seems the same is true with the HD-series. Something about the internal grounding of the Mesas that causes the ground loop issues. I just use my M13 in the loop of my amp and only use it for delay, reverb and modulation. I don't use any of the dirt models.

The two channels of the Mini-Rec sound amazing, so I wouldn't want to change it with the HD amp models, but that's just me. :D

6. hanales

hanales Member

OP: Try unsoldering the ground wire on one of the guitar cables that go from the loop to the HD500. This will remove a possible ground loop, but the amp will still be grounded (as it should be grounded to the power outlet). Don't mess with the amp at all.

7. waygorked

waygorked Member

@hanales and harrlj,

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your understanding of the 4CM. I have been using my gear this way since the 80s with all manner of effects units without difficulty, and I haven't had any difficulty with this with any amps other than the new Mesas (this and a TA30).

I'll try to ground lift the return cable. I should have thought of that, as it's pretty obvious. Thanks!

8. waygorked

waygorked Member

BTW, the only real reason to use the models in front is to get a VOX tone, which sadly the MiniRec can't pull off.

9. 11justin22

11justin22 Member

Wow, i had a thread last week about a Noise issue I was having. Turns out it was my pedalboard that has a m13 on it, I thought it was my amp. I think I might be having this same ground loop issue though it doesn't do it at every location.

10. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I have an amp that is really picky about noise (Jose Plexi) but when I run my HD500 through it it's extremely quiet. My PB with a Cioks and quality cabling it way noisier.

11. civic2

civic2 Member

Let us know how it goes.

12. swamba

swamba Member

I'm using a pod hd500 with a mesa rectoverb series 2, 4 cable method. I notice if I have my usb plugged into the computer then the amp hums, take it out, the noise goes away. Other than that it sounds great.

13. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

they might need to be plugged into the same circuit... anybody examine that?

14. lespaul80

lespaul80 Member

My Line 6 was set to amp output and not line output. Cured the hum immediately.