Mesa mini-rectifier

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mole351, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Mole351

Mole351 Member

Looking for a new amp (and have really been ALL over the place in what I want lol) - this really appeals to me on the surface for the following reasons: it's a Mesa, it's affordable, in doing brief research most people rave about it.

Questions I'd have (don't know much about heads):
    - when looking for amp recommendations (in this price range) nobody ever mentions this one - I'll see used express but not this - reason for that?

- have read that this isn't a metal amp like it's bigger siblings - truth to that?

- as far as cabs go - how important is it to match head and cab? (Ie - the Mesa cabs are pretty pricey - worth it or just paying for the name?)

Alternative recommendations for similar amps?

Thanks all!

2. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

Personally I really like the mini rec. Plenty of mean gain on tap. With the EL84 power section it isn't quite as girthy as the big ones, but sounds great still. Mesa cabs are too frickin expensive though.

3. bkatx

bkatx Member

I think they're great, I play mine all the time. The clean channel is really nice and very overlooked. It's an extremely versatile amp, with gobs of gain on tap on the second channel.

When I'm not using a Two Notes Torpedo for cab emulation I use an Orange 1x12 with a Vintage 30 and it sounds great.

4. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

oh man the mini rec is awesome.

it has its own charm compared to any other recto. imho, if you're going in this direction, it helps of you appreciate the EL84 power section. i personally love el84s. it's not going to sound or feel like it's big bottle brethren.

all that said, the tones are awesome. there is a ton of versatility, it it really is a great answer for most applications where you don't need crazy volume. cleans, edge or breakup, mid-high gain all sound fantastic, and there are just crazy amounts of different shades and tones in a very portable little box. it is not a toy. it looks like one, but it's not at all.

there is a big thread on here dedicated to the amp, i think. lots of reading if you search.