Mesa Nomad 55 vs F30?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TelecasterBlues, Feb 12, 2008.

1. TelecasterBlues

TelecasterBlues Member

Looking for a versatile amp, but I want that Mesa hard rock sound in particular. So which amp would you pick and why?

2. mrt

mrt Member

I never hear the F-series in person, BUT I had a Nomad 55, I think the Nomad is the worst amp mesa made. IMO. it had this mid range tone that would no go away, I think you're way better with with the F-30.

3. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

I love my Nomad. I believe it has more options than the F series but a similar over all feel.
    I have found that my combo sounds much better with the speaker in my Mesa Widebody 1x12 than the stock one. Could be the speaker could be the cab, I could be crazy. But I'm building a head cab for mine soon.

4. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

I had a Nomad and moved in some time ago for a Mark IV. I really liked the Nomad a lot and find it much more to my liking than the F series. It is smoother to me.

5. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Silver Supporting Member

Bandmate in a previous band gigged with a Nomad 55. VERY versatile amp. Three completely indepent channels EACH with it's own solo boost and each with separate reverb controls (I think??).

I personally LIKE midrange so that may be why some of us like the sound (can't stand the buzzsaw scooped rectifier tone personally).

What amazed me about my friends Nomad was the depth of the clean tones. Much nicer and smoother than most Boogie cleans which I find pretty sterile at times. I love the 2nd channel as well. The 3rd channel sounds good for those few times when he needed extra drive/distortion, but mostly clean, and ch 2. THe solo boost feature was worth it's weight in gold.

NO PEDALS necessary.

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I had a Nomad 55 1x12 Combo. Very cool amp. Dont know about the F-50.

The Nomad will do a lot of different things.

7. jman

jman Supporting Member

The Nomad 55(combo with 12's) seems to get dumped on more compared to the 45 and 100-maybe the speakers they come with are not a good match ? I have only heard the 100 head that i own and it does not strike me as too midrange-y,FWIW...

8. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

jman I think the el84's of the 45 suit the amp a little more. I have mine yellow jacketed and its the way I've liked it best.

9. tricerimotor

tricerimotor Member

I found "that tone" with a Nomad 55 in a studio and instantly went out to buy one and had it modded by the same tech. I like it but I still haven't found that sound again. Have most of you guys switched to the EL34s or stayed with the 6L6s? I play Upbeat Rock w/ country/bluegrass elements. Not a lot of gain, but a good sustain, warm but cutting tone.

10. jman

jman Supporting Member

With my old trem o verb there wasn't that big a difference to me between 6L6's or the EL34's,so i figured it would be the same with the nomad...i have the 6L6 set as spares.
    I'd like to find a 45 head,though they seem not as easy to come by.

11. Snakum

Snakum Member

I loved the F-100 and the F-50, but the F30 was a different animal. Excellent EL-84 sparkle and grind (think cranked Vox), but the clean was nothing special compared to the 6L6 F-amps and every single one I ever played was noisey as hell. And I don't mean just 'single-coil near the flourescent lights' noisey ... I mean noisey no matter what guitar I used.

I'd take the Nomad if those were my only choices (meaning ... I couldn't find a used F-50).