Mesa Nomad power tubes question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by joeprs, Sep 14, 2003.

1. joeprs

joeprs Member

I have a Mesa Nomad 55. I know when you buy replacement tubes, the color means that they are matched.

Today, I went to GC to buy new 6L6 power tubes (old ones went microphonic), they did not have STR420's, they had STR430's. They said they should be o.k., emphasizing "as long as they are matched." Obviously, they are sold in matched pairs.

My question is, what does the STR number mean? I've always replaced the tubes with the same STR number. They even look different, although that might not mean anything.

Thank you in advance,

Joe

2. Del

Del Member

The STR is special tube request fender asked sylvania to make a tube for them many years ago and this is what became part of the no,the problem with boogie is that they buy tubes from many places and you pay over the odds for them you can get jj valves that are matched and would work fine with your amp,contact Lord Valve:D

3. joeprs

joeprs Member

Del,

Thanks for your reply.

Upon looking at the Boogie website, they only sell the STR 427 and 430's now. The 430's are currently shipping in the production amps.

The 427's are Chinese (U.S. equivalent) and the 430's are Russian.

At least now I know that they will safely work in place of the 420's I had originally.

I will check out Lord Valve and look into the JJ's. I'll probably save some money too.

Thanks again,

Joe

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Personally I'd just go for better tubes. The only real advantage to Mesa branded ones is that they have at least been tested - but so are ones sold by someone reputable like LV.

I would look into NOS. They may seem more expensive, but their longer working life more than offsets that, and IMO they sound far better too. I fitted Sylvanias to my DC-5, which made a huge difference for the better, to me. Mesa's specified tube for many years (maybe the one the amps were designed around in the first place, I don't know for sure) was the STR415, made by Sylvania.

5. 59model

59model Member

Call the Lord and get the 7581`s. Great sounding and very long lasting tube. I`ve run them in my Mesa, 2Rock, and Bogner with great results. Good luck!

6. joeprs

joeprs Member

Thank you for the advice guys. Now I know what I have to do.

I looked at the Tubestore's website and saw a big variance in prices and brands. After reading your posts, it all makes sense. One may cost more, but, it may sound better and last longer, which could work out cheaper. Not that cheaper is important.

The Mesa tubes were $40 for the pair at GC. One tube from the first pair went microphonic, then one from the second pair. That is telling me to try a different brand.

NOS is probably the way I'll go. I'll contact the Lord and/or the Tubestore and see what they'll advise. I am glad that I didn't open the package because I can return the STR 430's to GC tomorrow.

7. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

I've had great luck with Bob at eurotubes.com

He knows his stuff and I've gotten various tubes for Fenders and my Boog MkIII. He tests them all before shipping.