Mesa Nomads....educate me!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sovtekking, Jan 23, 2008.

1. sovtekking

sovtekking Supporting Member

hey guys, I've been checking into these nomads beacuse one of my friends played through one (guy I trust) and said it was one of the best amps he's ever used. Have you guys ever used one and what did you think of it? What kinds of tones will it do (bands/players)? I'm a big mule, lincoln brewster, audley freed, and david grissom fan so if that gives you a tone I might like..

Is this video representative of it's capabilities?
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=ysA1O9VQ2AI

2. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

I just ridded myself of a Mesa Nomad 45 4x10 combo. I really didn't dig any sound I got out of it, nor did I dig any pedals I put through it. My thought is that I just suck at playing the guitar, but then I got a Super Reverb and then a Vox AC30 and changed my mind. I don't suck, I stink, but that's better than sucking- and I thinking getting rid of the Mesa helped.

All things set aside, it wasn't a horrible amp, just not pure tone in my ears.

3. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

Yes that video is a nomad sound. If you like exactly that tone, and don't want any other, you might like it. Honestly, you could get a much better dirty sound with any of a handful of affordable clean tube amps and a great OD pedal.

This isn't to say that you shouldn't get a Mesa. I gigged with one for three glorious years with killer tone for the last year (I found the right power tubes and ways to make the volume work). You should definately get a Mesa if that is the sound you really want, just not that one. I've auditioned the Nomad amps numerous times really wanting to like them due to the pricepoint, but their are only 1-2 good sounds in them and no great ones.

Any amp that I consider a keeper has to have at least one jaw-dropping tone. One sound that it makes that will convince you to keep it unless there is absolutely no choice but to part with it. The Nomad amps have nothing along these lines to offer.

If the money is the issue, and you really want a Mesa, look into the DC line, the Rocket line (the rocket 410 absolutely makes the nomad 410 sound like a toy in a side-by-side), and especially the F series. Any of those amps are a better choice at a comparable price.

The best thing you can do is get out there and spend some time in a store auditioning these amps. If you can, I'm sure you'll quickly weed the Nomad line out.

D

4. sovtekking

sovtekking Supporting Member

Thanks guys, I've had a 110 subway rocket and it was cool, but it wasn't powerful enough for me...maybe the bigger one would be better

5. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

I've used a Nomad 55 for about 5 years now. I love it, I keep trying other amps and keep rotating back to old faithful.
    I use channel 2 the most it's is dialed in for a nice medium gain sound. I have it at a spot where it's really touch sensetive. Channel one is a great clean sound, when I want to go from there to dirty usually I use a pedal because it works smoother, but that's any channel switcher I use. Channel 3 I reserver for special over the top moments, some solo's. Sometimes I use it with the switch set for cleans.
    I use it in bars with my band and at church. I find it flexible and a great amp. I love it because it's not your garden variety Mesa.