Mesa or Krank?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lttoler, Nov 2, 2005.

1. lttoler

lttoler Senior Member

I currently own a Mesa Dual Rectifier head and I run it through a Crate BV cab with vintage 30's I believe. I play in a hard rock/metal band and I just havent been able to get a good sound like I want out of the amp. I don't know if something is wrong with the tubes or if its the cab Im using with it or what. I am also considering getting a Krank revolution head and trying that out. If I get any opinions on the matter it would greatly help :)

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

Never tried one but I've heard enough bad things about them to not be worried about that.

If you want an amp that rocks but desn't sound like a Mesa check out the VHT range.

3. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

Take your Recto head over to GC or some other guitar store,
    and give some other 4X12 cabs a turn. That will help you figure
    out if maybe you have the wrong head.

There are TONS of great amps out there.

I went for www.petersamps.com myself, but that was mostly
    because he's a cool guy and I wanted something different.
    I love the amp!

Depending on your budget, you should hit up a high end store
    and try before you buy.

4. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

Yeah try a different cabinet first... I've heard a lot of people complain about those crate cabs

Don't limit your search to Mesa and Krank

VHT and Rivera also make killer amps for metal that have strong mids but also plenty of crunch

5. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

There are about a billion different amps out there to choose from, but take all the Krank bashing with a grain of salt. I think these guys ticked off some folks right when they came on the scene and the bad blood has kind of hung around.

I checked one out locally and they sound pretty badass to me. But I also think that if you can't get a good hard rock tone out of a Mesa Dual Rec it is either broken or you need to practice more...

6. lttoler

lttoler Senior Member

Thanks for all the help. Does anyone know what a good cab would be to pair up with the Mesa. Also, I would like to know the differences in sound between the Dual Rect and the Krank. Thanks

7. lefchr

lefchr Member

I havent tried a krank so, I'm not gonna comment on them.

How long have you had the tubes in the recto, they could need to be changed. The ruby el34bstr's sound great.

Never played through a crate cab, but I havent heard anything good about them. bring your head to a shop that has a good selection of cabs and try out a bunch.

8. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

It could be a number of things, the Dual Rec isn't for everybody, and not every metal guitarist uses them.

I don't have any experience with Krank, but the clips on their site sound pretty damn good, better than my Dual Rec in some instances.

Give us some more info, like how old are your tubes, what kind are they, are the power tubes 6L6 or EL34, and like someone already said, try that head with some different cabs, it might surprise you.

9. lttoler

lttoler Senior Member

The tubes are the stock 6L6's. I've had the amp for about a year now, so they may need to be changed, I'm really not sure. I've heard that the el34s have more of a british rock sound and the 6l6s have more of a modern american sound. Is there any truth in this.

10. somedude

somedude Member

Yes.

Either way, assuming you play that amp regularly you might want to change out your power tubes. I get about 9 to 12 months out of my power tubes, after that they loose their sparkle and their attack starts to weaken, thus making things more and more muddy.

Also, check out other cabs.....no sence having a great head if you're just going to play it through crap (which is my opinion of Crate 4x12 cabs).

As for the differences between Mesa and Krank....huge. Mesa is very loose tracking, has huge sag, a slow blossom of notes, and a big emphasis on lower mids.

Krank is very tight tracking with next to no sag and almost instant note blossom, and a big emphasis on upper mids (some call it ear piercing). Some people say that Krank's are almost solid state sounding.....which might be why Dime loved them so much (and had a solid state clipping section added to the Krankenstien). Quite a few people say they sound better when you toss the stock tubes and replace them with a set of 6L6 or EL34s.

Either way, try before you buy....it'll save you pain and money in the long run.

11. leeroy

leeroy Guest

Okay that sounds good. What are some good tubes that I can put in it? I see that Mesa has a Standard Oversized cab and a Traditional cab. Does anyone know anything about these 2 cabs? I also saw someone using a Dual Rect with an Orange cab.

12. Erik

Erik Member

Both Mesa 4x12's (Traditional and Standard) are good cabs. The Traditional is a bit more focused and tight, the Standard is the oversize cab and sounds bigger and more 3D (to my ears). I always preferred the bigger cab, but it took more tweaking to stop the flubbiness that they can be prone to. I've A/B both cabs a bunch of times...the difference isn't really good or bad as much as it is personal preference. Like I said, I spent more time tweaking my EQ and to me, the end result was much more favorable with the Standard cab. Most people tend to go the opposite way and prefer the Traditional...IMO, once I got the Standard dialed in, it had a roar that the smaller cab couldn't replicate. Be forewarned...you could get pretty frustrated if you're not into a lot of tweaking.

FWIW, I've pretty much stopped playing through my 4x12's since getting a Buzzbomb 2x12 loaded with a V30 and Man-O-War. Both my Road King and JCM800 sound great through that cab.

13. jpage

There are plenty of inexpensive ways to tweak your tone also. el34s could give your DR a different feel. What are your usual settings? Maybe lower the gain and employ a dirt box of some sort. el34s with the amp at half gain with a OCD in front would give you another sonic alternative for about $250.

Worst case scenario you can say "brand new tubes" if you decide to sell the DR. I have been completely amazed whenever I have heard a good metal/rock player who knows how to tweak those amps. With the above "modifications" you should be able to "tighten" up your tone and do a pretty damn good Marshall impersonation...

14. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

15. jpage

Thank you.

16. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

17. Layne-o

Layne-o Silver Supporting Member

+1.

Echoing several statements previously said; try different cabinets with the DR. As an owner of a DR and a TR, I wholeheartedly believe in reading the manual several times over in addition to trying out different cabinets. You'd be amazed what your DR can achieve tonally. It's not all "angry killer bees!"