MESA or ORANGE 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rjpilot, Jan 31, 2012.

2x12 V30 cab by Mesa 8ohms (OR) 2x12 V30 cab by Orange 16ohms

1. Mesa 2x12 8ohms

2. Orange 2x12 16 ohms

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

What say ye?
    Please give opinion. And color is not a concern. I am interested in sound, construction/ruggedness, ease of mic-ing and size (smaller/lighter = better).

Does the 8 ohm vs 16 ohm matter...The amp I have can do either.

2. Thinline_slim

Thinline_slim Supporting Member

Are you looking at specifically closed backed or open backed cabs? Orange makes one of each which are really stout but sound pretty different between the two because of the back.

I have a PPC212, which I've been very happy with. Great construction and it's compact and light. I prefer open backed cabs though.

3. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

Closed back. sorry.:bonk

4. schristie

schristie Supporting Member

Have you tried both 8 and 16 ohm cabs with your amp....my amp seems to like running at 16 ohms as it is the full wind of the output transformer....that might help you figure out which you like better as they are pretty similar otherwise (closed back, V30's, similar size, etc...).

5. axelfoley

axelfoley Supporting Member

Orange cabs are made in China and the quality control is not what it used to be. Both great sounding cabs though.

6. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

Can you explain that to me (full winding of the OT)? This may be getting to the crux of the issue. I have a bray that I is supposed to sound mucho better when run at 16 ohms???

7. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Mesa cabs are very well built, and they sound good as well. Mesa uses "special" celestion speakers with slightly higher specs than what you can get retail nowadays.

I also think their look is much more understated and elegant.

You could also consider avatar, but honestly, if price is not an issue, Mesa is the way to go.

8. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Only the 1x12 and open back 2x12 are made in China. The closed back 2x12 is still made in the UK.

9. Thinline_slim

Thinline_slim Supporting Member

I believe the PPC212 closed back cab that is sold in USA is actually made in Kentucky. But yes the PPC112 and PPC212OB is made in China and I have both and they are well made with few flaws.

10. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Orange PPC212CB

I directly A/B'd a healthy Mesa Recto OS 212 and the Orange through a stero poweramp and the Mesa sounded broken in comparison. I even swapped channels to confirm if I had an issue with the amp.

The owner of the Mesa sold it that week and was frankly shocked at the difference in bottom end and fullness compared to the Orange.

As a major bonus in Aus, Orange cabs are much cheaper than Mesa so it's win win.

11. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

I did an A/B test today with my rivera and a friend's diezel. The mesa and orange were both good. I liked the Mesa better. It had a bit more presence. The orange sounded darker. Both had plenty of bottom end. Tested it using my 8 track and a couple mics.

The Mesa won out. My friend agreed as well.

12. Walkerjerry

Walkerjerry Member

I've done this comparison many times (used to be a dealer for both), and I've owned MANY Mesa cabs (mostly 4x12's). I have always prefered the Mesas. Best sounding V30 cabs, IMHO, and I have a custom greenback 4x12 that I'll NEVER get rid of.

13. Matt Gnarly

Matt Gnarly Member

Between the two I'd go with Mesa. Also, you may want to check out Whitebox, they have more speaker options, are built to order (different tolex and grill cloth options) and have a convertible back. I'll (hopefully) be ordering one soon from them.

14. scott944

scott944 Member

I just picked up a used Lopoline closed back 2x12. It's sized like the Mesa, short and deep (not tall like a Marshall 1936). Packs a powerful thump. Mine's loaded with Eminence12730's, which are (from what I can gather) speakers used in the bottom of the Mesa halfback cabs. I bring this up since it's very nearly the same cab as the Mesa you're considering, but WAY cheaper. Found mine at a Music Go Round for $120!

15. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

The Orange is clearer sounding and darker, the Mesa more coloured and more forward.

16. rp108

rp108 Member

I think Mesa makes the best cabs. :)

17. pb641

pb641 Member

I'm not familiar with the china version orange cabs, but Mesa has always made good ones.