• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Mesa Oversized 4x12

Phats

What are your thoughts on this cab? I've read people say its not a good cab in that the low and sounds flabby. I'm looking at one, v30s.

I've be using it with an Ampeg V4

I want something that is tight, can handle low end - plus lower octave from octave pedals.

MmcGrouty

I have one, it's a great cab, but I have "bottomed it out" with a bass-heavy amp. It might not be what you're looking for. I have another 4x12 with Eminence Swamp Thangs, I believe those speakers can handle anything.

niassist

Garage Rock Star
I have an oversized Mesa 4x12 straight cabinet. One of the first things I did was remove the Vintage 30's because they couldn't handle the low end very well. Especially, with my 7 String. I put in two Eminence Swamp Thangs and two Eminence Tonkers. The cab sounds massive! Really tight.

Melodyman

so its not the cab itself but the speakers?
The internal cab dimension/volume of an oversized cab makes a listenable difference regardless of speaker.

Compare a Mesa oversize 4x12 and Mesa traditional 4x12 side by side with the same speakers and you'll hear it (imo).

Some amps sound better through an oversized cab than others, there is really no universal opinion on it (imo).

Adamclayton

What I want to know is... Whats the tonal difference between a Mesa v30 and a Chinese V30? I remember hearing a sound sample awhile back but have forgot what the difference was.
Anyone know?

lameburger

What I want to know is... Whats the tonal difference between a Mesa v30 and a Chinese V30? I remember hearing a sound sample awhile back but have forgot what the difference was.
Anyone know?
Mesa have their own proprietary V30 design (like Marshall). It's tailored to their amps. More low end, the mids are placed differently, and they're not as bright.

Adamclayton

Mesa have their own proprietary V30 design (like Marshall). It's tailored to their amps. More low end, the mids are placed differently, and they're not as bright.
Right yea knew they had their own like Marshall. WGS worked on a new V30 for Mesa for over 2 years, almost had it nailed but not exactly what they wanted. I gotta find that demo of Mesa V30 vs Standard (Chinese( V30 again.

chrisrocksusa

I've never had a mesa cab I didn't like, but I will say the following:

I don't find a noticable drop in low end bump when I play through a 2x12 vs the 4x12 (both mesa products obviously).

I prefer their 2x12 bc it's easier to carry around and throw in the trunk of a car, and it sounds close enough. I'm not saying the 2x12 has every bit of low end that the oversized cab has, but I'm saying it's not noticeable to me, or at least not significant enough to make me want to lug around a giant cab.

chrisrocksusa

Right yea knew they had their own like Marshall. WGS worked on a new V30 for Mesa for over 2 years, almost had it nailed but not exactly what they wanted. I gotta find that demo of Mesa V30 vs Standard (Chinese( V30 again.

totally unrelated, but every time I see you I remember that thread about the bourbon burst LP you have.

absolutely perfect :dude

Adamclayton

I've never had a mesa cab I didn't like, but I will say the following:

I don't find a noticable drop in low end bump when I play through a 2x12 vs the 4x12 (both mesa products obviously).

I prefer their 2x12 bc it's easier to carry around and throw in the trunk of a car, and it sounds close enough. I'm not saying the 2x12 has every bit of low end that the oversized cab has, but I'm saying it's not noticeable to me, or at least not significant enough to make me want to lug around a giant cab.
Lord I do. I had a Mesa 2x12 horizontal and there wasn't but half the low-end a 4x12 Mesa has.

fuzzyguitars

Silver Supporting Member
the mesa recto 4x12 loaded with v30's is the sound of modern metal.

that cab, paired with a peavey 5150 is all over the best selling metal / rock records.

but, i guess that doesnt really matter that much to 95 percent of the tan pants TGP crowd! LOL

dwoverdrive

Silver Supporting Member
Yes those big Mesas can bring the thump in a hurry. its not excessively flabby bass but it has a chubby round sound to it for sure. Massive sound. I used one with my Ecstasy 101b and then switched to a Bogner 412 slant. The Bogner keeps the bass very tight and detailed and sounds more 3D and huge. Anytime anyone is interested in a 412 cab I will tell you just hold out for a Bogner.
Anyway, the Mesa is going to do exactly what you are asking without any trouble I think. Mesa doesn't make any bad cabs thats for sure.

Top Bottom