Mesa prices in Europe..?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Isak531, Aug 13, 2019 at 2:31 PM.

1. Isak531

Isak531 Member

Hey, so recently I've really been craving for a Mesa Boogie JP-2C but what the hell's up with the prices here in Europe? Said amp costs about 4200 euros here in Sweden and all Mesa's seems to be ridiculously expensive in Europe...

What is the cause of this extreme price compared to what it costs in the US? Is there any chance that it might change in the near future or should I just either suck it up and pay the 4200 euros or just stick to my Helix..?

Best regards!

2. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Mesas have been hideously expensive in Europe for as long as I've played guitar, i.e. 30+ years. That's just how they like to be priced over here. Can't tell you why, but they obviously do enough business that they've never bothered to change it.
    I suspect blocket.se is your best best for a reasonably priced Mesa

ljs and PierreL like this.
  3. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

It has been like that forever. Mesa claims its because of their support network and whatnot , but it just don't make any sense how expensive they are compared to other American products sold here. Total BS, but it is what it is.... :dunno

4. Jelle

Jelle Member

Not sure why, but it's been like that for as long as I've been looking at them, and that's at least early nineties.

To me they're not worth it, but that's personal. €3000 and upwards can buy you so much amp that you have to be very much set on getting a Mesa and only a Mesa.

Not Through Yet likes this.
  5. Isak531

Isak531 Member

Well that really sucks... could justify spending about 2500 euros but 4200 is absolutely ridiculous when it's half or even less of that in the US..

Will just stick with my Helix lol..

6. d'djembe mutombo

d'djembe mutombo Member

It's basic supply chain. I'm not sure what other US amps you are comparing them to, but since they are small batch shipped I imagine they go air freight instead of ocean. On top of that, final price also reflects baked in import/export fees from the US and the receiving country. You also have to consider the fees to the freight forwarder that booked the space on the airplane.

QRSS and Tomo El Gato like this.
  7. Jelle

Jelle Member

I don't agree with the last post, I have several US amps (Two-Rock, Carol-Ann, Morgan, Dr. Z, etc) and prices are nowhere near as inflated as Mesa.

The volume of Mesas shipped is likely to be higher compared to those brands, most large European retailers carry Mesa, which could be telling in itself.

8. Blackmoreguitar

Blackmoreguitar Silver Supporting Member

The same is true for Friedman and Suhr too; Mesa's mark up is far bigger for some reason. I do love my LSS, but I would never buy that amp new in the UK.

9. LaXu

LaXu Member

I can buy any Friedman or Bogner for far less than many Mesas. The European pricing for them is so ridiculously high compared to the US that nobody should buy a Mesa in Europe. Too many just as good amps that cost less.

Exhibit A: At Thomann Mesa Mark V 35 1x12 combo costs 2999 euros. With Finnish 24% VAT substracted and price converted to USD that comes to about $2546. That's almost $500 higher than US price. You can't convince me that installing a 220-240V transformer and shipping the amp over the pond costs that much.

10. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

Does Mesa set European prices, or do their European dealers?

11. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    You should see the prices here in Australia lol.

QRSS, Not Through Yet and Bluesful like this.
  12. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

It's the same in Australia.

It is because of the independent distributors gouging the local market.

13. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

Why not vacation to the states, buy a JP-2C, and ship it to yourself? Free vacation.

14. Not Through Yet

Not Through Yet Member

This is what I’ve been told as well.

Bluesful likes this.
  15. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

It's nonsense.

Never met anyone who's purchased a Mesa new here.

16. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Its not just that simple since you have to change the power transformer or have a way of running it with the correct voltage..

17. Calebz

Calebz Member

Yup. I have 2 amps I left in the states for that reason.

All the amps I've purchased in Europe so far have universal power supplies. My little amps will run on anything and my big amps just require a switch flip and maybe a fuse change.

18. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I play strictly European built amps here in the states and have for decades. But for my Gibsons, my guitars are all European as well.
    Your amp designers and builders are just the best, for my personal tastes. I seriously dislike American sounding amps, but for tweed Fenders, and by tweed, I mean from the 1950's.

I had my most recent amp built in Italy, cab built in England, and my new wireless, I just received yesterday, is from the Netherlands.

While I support and buy the US products where I can, and when I like them, I have not found amps with American tones to be to my liking, since unloading all 6 of my Mesa amps decades ago.

QRSS likes this.
  19. turntable_blues

turntable_blues Member

It seems to be the same with some other brands, e.g. PRS (look at European prices of S2s) or Music Man (even their "asian" Sterling line is significantly more expensive in Europe than in USA), but not with plenty of others (Fender first and foremost)

20. Cap'n Lee

Cap'n Lee Member

The Australian prices, I get, because Oz is as far away as the moon, or at least it is on the flip side of the flat earth.
    Settle down cobbers, j/k.

It is all down to Mesa allowing independent distributors in the various foreign climes to ship the amps onto dealers and set their own pricing. They have fun doing that, with amps costing more than double in local currency what they do in US$.

How about a 2:90 power amp for £2,475?
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/07081616004328--mesa-boogie-290-power-amp