Mesa Rectifier Badlander?

Bogner

The more videos I hear the worse it gets. Ola's video was so so. Fluff's video sounded awful. The original Mesa video was ok. I am just going to play one and see for myself. If I had to only choose off these clips I would hard pass and I know (hopefully based off history) Mesa makes a better product than what I am hearing.

Jabby92

New Lark demo:
Definitely a more in-depth look, but I’m not crazy about the metal tones he dialed in.
Interesting. Between this and the other demos, the cleans and crunch sound the most interesting to me.. but honestly they're sort of similar to the Vintage or Raw mode on the current Rectifiers when you dial the gain back (at least to my ears). I'm glad he showcased the variac (and you can really hear the audible difference), that gives it a nice upper harmonic haze that I like when you want to play that late 70s/early 80s hard rock thing (one of my fav features on the Recto amps by far). I'm really undecided on the Crush mode, I think I need to hear more demos still. It's kind of sounding like a Recto but I can't really put my finger on where it sits either.. definitely more mids and a different 'bite' to it, almost like its more contained.

The more I listen to demos of the Badlander, the more I appreciate my Mini Rec, which I already love.
Feeling the same with my Dual Rec. I've actually considered buying a Mini Rec or Rectoverb just because I love these amps so much and they all share essentially the same pre-amp section.

Crash-VR

Silver Supporting Member
If it doesn't offer switchable tube or SS rectifiers, then it is not a Dual Rectifier.
The Dual Rectifier was reference to the two rectifier tubes required for the 100 watt version. Just as the Single Rectifier and Triple Rectifier referred to the 50 and 150 watt models respectively.

teofilrocks

Silver Supporting Member
If it doesn't offer switchable tube or SS rectifiers, then it is not a Dual Rectifier.
No. Don't connect "Dual" with the number of rectification types. We've been trying to undo that idea for years.
The Dual Rectifier was reference to the two rectifier tubes required for the 100 watt version. Just as the Single Rectifier and Triple Rectifier referred to the 50 and 150 watt models respectively.
Yes.

This is exactly why the "Single/Dual/Triple Rectifier" terminology needs to go away in future products - hopefully starting now w/ the Badlander. It has been somewhat carelessly used by Mesa (I'm especially looking at you old Single Rectifier 50 and current Rectoverb 25) and caused much confusion over the years. Think of Single/Dual/Triple Rectifiers like the Stiletto Ace/Duece/Trident (50W/100W/150W).

Last edited:

TP Parter

Mine sure does. I think switching to EL34 won't do much to the tone (It never did on my other amps on which I switched 'em). There must be comparisons made with Rectos when the power tubes are switched...
The Dual Rectifier was reference to the two rectifier tubes required for the 100 watt version. Just as the Single Rectifier and Triple Rectifier referred to the 50 and 150
watt models respectively.
By your logic the Single would not be a Single Rectifier, it would be a Zero Rectifier, and the Dual Rectifier Maverick and Blue Angel models would both be under the Single Rectifier name.

The only reason they changed that naming convention on the Triple was to differentiate it from the 100 watt Dual Rectifiers.

Crash-VR

Silver Supporting Member
By your logic the Single would not be a Single Rectifier, it would be a Zero Rectifier, and the Dual Rectifier Maverick and Blue Angel models would both be under the Single Rectifier name.

The only reason they changed that naming convention on the Triple was to differentiate it from the 100 watt Dual Rectifiers.
It’s not my logic, it’s just the truth. Ask @MESA/Boogie. That’s why they liked my comment. Yes, lower wattage amps can use two rectifier tubes depending on the tubes used in the design, but this is the way the way that the Single, Dual, and Triple rectifier have been designated.

TP Parter

No. Don't connect "Dual" with the number of rectification types. We've been trying to undo that idea for years.
That is incorrect. See my post above regarding the original naming conventions for the Rectifier line.

Yes

This is exactly why the "Single/Dual/Triple Rectifier" terminology needs to go away in future products - hopefully starting now w/ the Badlander. It has been somewhat carelessly used by Mesa (I'm especially looking at you old Single Rectifier 50 and current Rectoverb 25) and caused much confusion over the years. Think of Single/Dual/Triple Rectifiers like the Stiletto Ace/Duece/Trident (50W/100W/150W).
Once again, the singles are singles due to them having a single rectifier option, the duals are duals because they have 2, the triple is a triple simply to differentiate it from the 100 watt duals.

Reactions: LCW

TP Parter

It’s not my logic, it’s just the truth. Ask @MESA/Boogie. That’s why they liked my comment. Yes, lower wattage amps can use two rectifier tubes depending on the tubes used in the design, but this is the way the way that the Single, Dual, and Triple rectifier have been designated.
Not my point. Both the Maverick and the Blue Angel are under the Dual Rectifier family but only possess a single rectifier tube. They, the Tremoverb and original Solo Head were all originally named Dual Rectifers because of their dual selectable rectifiers, not based on the number or rectifier tubes.

This is quite common knowledge and based on numerous examples within early '90s Mesa promo material, which I read religiously as a young guitarist and confirmed Mesa fanboi.

Btw, none of which means Mesa is not free to change their naming conventions based on current models.

Reactions: LCW

Surgeon

Why did you quote me in that argument?

teofilrocks

Silver Supporting Member
That is incorrect. See my post above regarding the original naming conventions for the Rectifier line.

Once again, the singles are singles due to them having a single rectifier option, the duals are duals because they have 2, the triple is a triple simply to differentiate it from the 100 watt duals.
That may have been their original intent with the first Dual Rectifier and in their patent for switching between tube / solid state rectification. But the term was immediately confused by having a Triple Rectifier with still dual-rectification. The Blue Angel also got a Dual tag, even though the power section had a single fixed tube rectifier. And the Rectoverb 25 also got a Dual tag, even though it has only solid state rectification. I compared the Single, Dual, and Triple Rectifier series naming to the Ace, Duece, and Trident Stiletto series becuase the same 1, 2, and 3 terms meant 50, 100, and 150W - even though all the Stilettos had dual rectification.

So, while it's nice that Mesa may have originally thought of Dual just like you say - it hasn't consistently meant that for quite a while. Reducing Dual Rectifier to just meaning tube/SS prolongs the confusion of the term across their lineup history. That was my original point. Not your fault, I blame my favorite amp company's marketing department.

SleepingSG

Sounds good to me. I am sort of confused as to who the amp is for?

Mini Rec is so popular and priced perfectly, and then you have the older recto-verb sitting there. Then you come up to the Badlander but only $200 more and you are looking at THE dual and Triple rec that have been staples for a while.

I can't see any EL34 guys looking at their mini/verbs and seeing a need to get this form factor wise. And i can't see any dual/triple fans feeling they are missing out.

I'm assuming the main thesis of this amp, so to speak, is cabclone IR in a head, which recto series needed, and the chance to raise the bass frequency a bit and see if curing the REctifiers fo their 'flub' would inspire a second/ third wave of popularity.

I personally have an LSS and I love it, would only consider parting iwth it at this point were there another LSS with 'modern' appoitments. This amp still has the 10 year old features of solo swtich as the big sell lol. I like it though, and tbh, dont care that much about cab clone, as i dont gig. These JP2C swtichs that are basically tube screamer bass drops would be really nice on the Lonestar series. But i have a pedal for that so...

I think its a cool new amp, I suspect its aimed at earning NEW mesa customers rather than preexisting fans. Not sure anybody even with a big heavy Road king would really look at this and feel the need to spend money.

If you were some young guy with a modern rock band/ metal band? I think you could look at this over some o the other REVV style amps and feel like you were 'cool' and buying a great modern sound.

teofilrocks

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know about compared to the Multi-Watt, but this second video with the 6L6s sounds a bit closer in character to my 2-channel DR that has 6L6s. And there's a familiar boosted tone, although I would never have the gain up that high and boost, personally.

This is interesting for me. I love my 2-channel DR. But this Badlander seems to have the advantage of being totally usable w/out a boost - not something I can really say about my amp.

silentbob

I don't know the full story with rectos. They originally came out when grunge was exploding, but the original release had the same preamp circuit as the Soldano SLO. Not to get into the Soldano can of worms, but I would imagine that during its development they were originally going for the 80s rock guys. I've always liked them in vintage mode with a medium crunch tone for a straight forward rock tone similar to the tone in Mesa's demo.

I do believe they were used on Winger's Pull album which I know isn't a TGP approved opinion, but that entire album, especially the song Junkyard Dog has one of my favorite hard rock tones ever.
Early rectos were all over the place. I was able to try one when a tech brought one back from tour to share with a friend of mine and I played it at his place, I play a Road King, use the EL34 on vintage mode into a cabinet with Greenbacks. It's just about the least "Recto" tone you'll hear come out of one of their amps.

Trending Topics