Mesa Rectifier Badlander?

TP Parter

My 2 channel has EH 5U4GB rectifier tubes in it. Seems like the 5AR4 is the in-between for that and the silicon diodes. I'll start with EL34s first, since I have them.
Just don't run it with 2 tubes pulled and on the silicon diode setting. With 4 tubes you are good, though there a chance of tube failure and damage to the amp. I replaced my SGR's with 5 watt resistors so I can run it safely with EL34's and the ss rectifier now, but I did blow the stock 2 watt resistors and took out a pair of tubes previously. I did run it with EL34's for quite a while before the failure though. I also run my poweramp quite hot with the masters and loop active at 3/4 or above generally, and the channel gain very low compared to the stereo typical Recto user, so ymmv.

My clean channel gain is around 11:30, and red cloned to orange vintage high gain with the gain about 12:30. I also crank the treble and mid controls, and keep the bass around noon on the clean channel, and 11:30ish on the high gain channel. Those get hit with my boosts, parametric + preamp, or fuzzes to give me whatever texture I am looking for.

teofilrocks

Silver Supporting Member
Just don't run it with 2 tubes pulled and on the silicon diode setting. With 4 tubes you are good, though there a chance of tube failure and damage to the amp. I replaced my SGR's with 5 watt resistors so I can run it safely with EL34's and the ss rectifier now, but I did blow the stock 2 watt resistors and took out a pair of tubes previously. I did run it with EL34's for quite a while before the failure though. I also run my poweramp quite hot with the masters and loop active at 3/4 or above generally, and the channel gain very low compared to the stereo typical Recto user, so ymmv.

My clean channel gain is around 11:30, and red cloned to orange vintage high gain with the gain about 12:30. I also crank the treble and mid controls, and keep the bass around noon on the clean channel, and 11:30ish on the high gain channel. Those get hit with my boosts, parametric + preamp, or fuzzes to give me whatever texture I am looking for.
Good to know. My gain is set to noon or just below on both channels, and boosted with a pedal up front. Bass all the way off on both channels (I have modern cloned to orange). And I don't use the loop, so it's bypassed. Lets go see what this EL34 business is about.

MESA/Boogie

This is in reference to the name Dual Rectifier - and its succession into Triple, Single, etc.

The name originated with the two type of rectifiers, of course, which was part of the circuitry in several amps, as you mention.

Looking at the FEATURE - the patent clearly states that it's two types of switchable rectification - tube and diode. Easy enough. However, once it became the Rectifier SERIES - the argument begins between those who believe the naming refers to the number of rectifier tubes. Hence, the Dual has 2 and Triple has 3.

As far as named amps in the Rectifier SERIES - its really just a way of differentiating the 150w and 50w versions by keeping it simple and stating Triple and Single, respectively. And yes, the Triple had three 5U4 tube rectifiers so that was easy. Then as the Solo Lead became so well known, the name Rectifier began to signify all those models with the same crunchy architecture with the tone controls located near the end of the preamp, where they’re very powerful (same location as in old Tweeds, like the 4x10 Bassman.)

It’s a cool sounding name - with its origin in the actual rectification - that has grown to encompass all our hard-core amps, especially since the Maverick and Blue Angel were discontinued long ago. It's clear why the Mini Rectifier is named as such - the Rectoverb 25 is called a Dual Rectifier because the circuitry (preamp) is from the Dual Rectifier lineage and not in reference to it having dual rectification.

The Badlander has only one type of rectifier but it does continue, and expand on the sound signature of its earlier predecessors.

My point - time to start PLAYING your Rectifier Series amps instead of arguing over them!

gtr37

Man this demo sounds wayyyyyy better then the others. These are the metal tones I’m looking for (especially the latter crunch tone, and the first crush tone). I’m glad to see that that they’ve effectively retained the multi watt pushed clean mode by cranking out the gain in clean mode; sounds really nice!
they should have led with this vid it by far the best
cab clone sounds very good as well
still just sounds a bit congested to me , I would like to hear it with a bit more cut and articulation in the highs and less wool

Jabby92

Hmm, based off the new demo I really dig the Clean and Crunch but I'm still not sure about the Crush mode. I'd still definitely like to play one of these at some point. I still want to hear some single note leads as well.

Goldie Glocks

I watched a few videos on it today. It's definitely intriguing! But I couldn't justify getting one as my Rev G Triple Rectifier is so damn good.

silentbob

Yeap, been running my Tremoverb with EL34's since '98, and have mostly sworn off V30's since around 2001-2002. That is where the icepick in the ear sizzling presence mostly comes from, but coupled with the harsh crossover distortion that arises from the cold bias when running 6L6's at most volumes it is really is a balancing act trying to get the stock amp to sound both articulate and fat and warm at the same time the way you can with an old Marshall or Ampeg wound up and crunching. I just cannot fathom going back. It really is a totally different sounding amp stock compared to how I run it. For me EL34 + ss diode + Bold is my power section configuration. If I am wanting more sag/bloom I will pull 2 tubes, and a rectifier tube, and switch to tube rectifier (I run it with 5AR4/GZ34's). If I want it super slinky and vintage sounding, then I will flip it to spongy.

I run it through a variety of speakers, have a 4x12 loaded with 55hz Heritage G12H's and Fane AXA12's that sounds like heaven. Just not a bad sound in that cab and it works for most all clean to classic rock/hardrock tones, and for a fatter metal tone with some warmth and smear to it, but still plenty of chug too. Have another loaded with two EVM12L's, a Fane Studio 12L and a modern Crescendo (prototype I scored off Ebay), and that one brings all the modern metal chug and '80s thrash tones with uber crystal clear cleans. Through them both at the same time it sounds huge, getting the best of both cabs.

I also have a 2x12 loaded with 2 alnico EV SRO's, that manages to sound as good as the two other cabs combined, just not quite as loud and less spread/throw obviously. They really are the epitome of what a guitar speaker should sound like to me. Roaring midrange, silky smooth airy treble, and perfectly tuned lowend, wih all the ferocity, articulation, and punch of my EVM12L's but just a little less assend, and all the midrange kerrang of a good British speaker in spades. Anything from Jazz to Pantera sounds incredible through them. So far they are the only speakers I have heard that totally satisfy me no matter what style I am playing without blending something else in to make up for a perceived deficiency (they have none).
I go spongy, tube rectification and into greenbacks or creambacks. Like I said, very un-recto sounding recto but perfect for me

Screwball

Silver Supporting Member
I know I’m probably the only one who cares, but is there a way to bypass the IR and just use the dry signal from this amp? Loading a blank profile would still convert the signal from analog to digital, right? No digital allowed in this application! Or else! I already convert too many times when reamping, I don’t need another one in there.

also, I can’t wait to hear people boost this amp good and proper. I think Ola went a lil too crazy with the boost

Cruciform

Real question: I've read through this entire thread and was amazed at people saying the cabclone is a selling point. Did Mesa upgrade this tech since the hot garbage version that was famously demoed on Glen and Andertons channel years ago? Surely?

Also, the last post by Mesa marketing was great. No one gives a f about the origin of the Rectifier name. It's transcended that for pretty much everyone.

SleepingSG

More than just using IR's - its different in just about every aspect!
can’t tell if you just chewed me out or someone else? ;)
Would you please shed some light on the current and future Lone Star situation?
I’d like to prepare my wallet and space for a future update to the series.

MESA/Boogie

can’t tell if you just chewed me out or someone else? ;)
Would you please shed some light on the current and future Lone Star situation?
I’d like to prepare my wallet and space for a future update to the series.
My post quoted Blix...

The LoneStar line has been discontinued!

Trending Topics