Mesa Rectifier Trade Decision

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by themightyjay, Feb 19, 2015.

1. themightyjay

themightyjay Member

Hey all, long time Rectifier fan here! I've got a tatty Revision F at the moment (works 100% though) and have been offered a straight trade for a mint Multi-Watt, what do you think?

Obviously three channels and a decent clean are a bonus, but is the overdrive tone going to compare? All the features of the multi-watt really appeal to me, plus it's a lot newer and cleaner, but I don't want to lose out tonally with the core rhythm tone that the Revision F can do.

Anybody had any experience with both?

I'm in the UK by the way, both are UK voltage.

2. LesPaul70

LesPaul70 Member

Personal opinion: no f*$kin way!

Face it, the 3-channel Reborn Rec is going to sound and feel different. That's not to say it's better or worse, just different. A Recto, for sure, but a somewhat different flavor from your Rev F. Trying to dial in your exact Rev F dream tone is going to be difficult, and you could be disappointed. You should definitely at least play a Reborn (Multiwatt) Rec before you make up your mind.

Case in point: I have a Revision G that I was supposed to sell twice already. First time when I acquired the more coveted Revision C. Then I realized that the two were almost night-and-day different and didn't really cover the same ground. I had to keep both. The second time when I bought a Road King II. Now that amp is supposed to give you any Recto-related tone imaginable, right? Wrong. Try as I might, I just cannot recreate the warm, full tone of my Rev G on the RKII. It just sounds different - more modern, colder, and less organic. And the Rev C is even more distant from the RKII.
    (So there I am now, stuck with 3 Rectos that I cannot sell because none of them can replace another...:jo)

Also consider that your Revision F is something of a semi-rarity, meaning there are about 2000 of them out there. Probably fewer, given that some of them will have broken down or burned by now. No new ones are being made. If you ever regretted your trade, finding another Rev F (at a decent price, in working order, and sounding as good as your current one) might not be trivial.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  3. themightyjay

themightyjay Member

You make some very good points there! I think the main one I hadn't considered is replacing it if I wanted too. Obviously most other Rectifiers are pretty plentiful but you don't see many Rev F's in the UK, especially UK voltage. (You might be able to change the voltage on the older rectifier transformers anyway, not sure?)

Any body else care to chime in?

4. cardinal

cardinal Member

I wouldn't do it. You could try to buy a Multiwatt and if you truly prefer it to the Rev F then sell it. But I would not trade the Rev F simply because the Multiwatt has more bells and whistles. I've spent a lot of time with a Multiwatt Triple and while I like the amp, I would definitely not trade my Rev G Triple for one. Even though really dislike the Rev G loop and a few other things, at the end of the day the Rev G sounds better to me.

5. schristie

schristie Supporting Member

Just my take but trading an amp that you love for one that might have a better clean channel is like breaking up with a great girlfriend for one that has a better car.

You'll still get where you need to go with the current one and you know you love her....the new one could be a psycho with a great car that you find standing over you with a knife while you sleep.

6. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    These gentlemen are making really valid and logical points.
    It sounds to me that someone who would trade an amp in good shape for a tattered version that is more rare and sounds better knows something you may not have considered.
    I would not do it, unless you spent enough time with the same model in a store and convinced yourself that you would be happier with the other person's amp. Ultimately you playing the other amp in a live performance over several hours would be the way to really decide.

7. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I would trade it in a heartbeat.
    I am not sure about revision F, but the one I have (the revision before the multi-watt) has a very annoying volume deficiency when comparing ch2/vintage to ch3/modern. I didn't notice this difference when I was shopping for my Roadster (which doesn't exhibit this problem).

It is possible that I don't remember if this was the case, but that reason alone, and my belief that the newer ones sound better would be enough of a reason for me to do the trade.

8. cardinal

cardinal Member

The non-Multiwatt 3-channels are kinda terrible IMHO. But he has a somewhat early 2-channel. A very different amp.

9. themightyjay

themightyjay Member

Cheers for all the advice guys, I've decided to keep the Revision F, I do mostly live on the medium/high gain side and it doesn't look like the multi will have it beat. Looking forward to gigging with it over the weekend. :)