Mesa Recto-verb 25 - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gp81, Apr 18, 2016.

1. gp81

gp81 Member

Owners, do you like your Mesa Recto-verb 25? If so, why?
    Thinking about getting one. Seems like a great, lightweight all around amp.
    Thanks!

2. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Love it. Go for the head and cab combo. Great variety of sounds and straight forward controls. The reverb is nice. Fx loop is solid. Sounds good loud and in lower volumes. The only downside is that Mesa only gives a switch for the reverb. If you want one for the channel, you have to buy a second switcher.

Phletch likes this.
  3. JunkGear

JunkGear Supporting Member

Yes, it's still one of my favorite Mesa amps because I can get so many different sounds out of it and it's just a blast to play. The 25 to 10 watt power option works really well and allows you to get tight modern tones in 25 and something a little rounder and smoother in 10 watt mode. The clean channel sounds great and can go from glassy to fat. The reverb sounds great too. I play it through 2 CAA 1x12 cabs, use it at home, practice and gigs and am very happy with it.

4. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Love it. Great cleans, great dirt, lovely reverb. What's not to like?

ToneCaptain likes this.
  5. louis

louis Supporting Member

Tried one in a store last year and couldn't stop playing !!
    Man this little thing gives you a lot for the small package !
    on the vintage mode which I was on ,.......it sounded warm and chewy,
    the speaker they put in called the Filmore reminds me of an old pulpery sounding Pulsonic cone.

6. GTblues

GTblues Member

I've owned 3 boogies. A Triple Rectifier, the Mark IV and then the Rectoverb 25. Out of the 3, the Rectoverb was my favorite. The Triple was simply too much amp... for any venue in my opinion. The Mark IV was great but I would spend too much time tweaking the tone and when I changed volumes for various gigs, the tone would seem to change.

All that to say, if the Recto-verbs were available back in 1999, I would have started with it. Excellent amp and I do agree with the head/cab version. That head can push a 4x12 and it sounds massive.

Only drawback with the head is that the preamp tubes are somewhat difficult to access. The reverb tank wires make it a bit combersome to pull the head out of the chassis and it is almost impossible to squeeze your hand in there. That was my one and only complaint.

rummy and lowpaygigs like this.
  7. spiralizer

spiralizer Member

I love mine. I went with the head version and push it through a 1x12 cab with a V-type...amazing tones. Can get extremely loud and mine keeps up with my drummer easily. I love modern mode in the 25 watt setting though the other channels are nice as well. Can pretty much do anything you want it to...plus the clean is surprisingly great!

8. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Amazing little amp. So versatile, and not at all "just a metal amp" as being a Rectifier might imply. The Pushed, with some reverb and delay, will get you lost for hours in bliss.

9. The Funk

The Funk Member

Its a very nice and well regarded amp. If you like what rectifiers do. They are very versatile, but rectifiers have a vibe, sort of a loose grain in the overdrive which some people like and some people don't. I'm not a huge fan. The amp can work appropriately for just about any style, if you like the way it does it.

10. ToneCaptain

ToneCaptain Member

The original Recto-verbs (50 watt) were available in 1999 :D. That's my main amp today. Both the old 50 watt and the new 25 watt are amazing amps. I agree with you that comparing to the newer marks (in my case i compared it to a mk iv and mk v) and triple rec, the Rectoverb was my favourite amp too. just a simple two channel amp and getting great sounds is easy. that's all i need.

IGuitUpIGuitDown and GTblues like this.
  11. BMX

BMX Member

I thought it was a really cool amp but wanted something a little bigger sounding so I sold it.

12. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

My opinion;

I would strongly encourage you to try the ROV25 AND the mini rec if you can.

I have owned two ROV's 25's and one Mini Rectifier.

Both amps sounded great initially, but didn't really shine until I got the matching cabinet for it [I was previously playing it through a avatar cab which was good, but the mesa cab was better - my theory being that the dimensions are better tuned for that head]. While I liked the amps with my Avatar cabinet, the bass tightened up and the mids became more "in your face" once I got the matching Mesa Mini cab. The amps REALLY came alive - Mesa knew what hey were doing when they designed that cab for these amps. regarding the two amps themselves; My Mesa Mini Rec is hands down the most versatile amp I've ever owned and I greatly preferred it over the ROV25. They say they are the same amp with just an added reverb on the ROV, but I can hear a difference between the two. Maybe the added reverb changes something or the added circuitry alters something? I don't know - but I'm not the only one who has noticed this. Several members here have commented on it. The mini has a very urgent, fast tracking, "in your face" response that the ROV25 lacked even with the reverb all the way off. Then again, you might prefer the more "airy" quality of the ROV depending upon what you're looking for - hence why I strongly recommend you try both.

about EQ, gain, and dialing in...

In the manual it says "as the gain goes up bass must come down" and that's no joke. The "Modern" is higher gain than the "vintage", and you really need to dial with your ears not your eyes - I literally might have the bass knob at 9 o'clock, while the mids are at 1 o'clock, the treble is at 1-2 o'clock, and the presence at 11 o'clock. In 90% of the cases though I greatly prefer the "Vintage" channel - there I might keep the numbers above the same, but turn the bass up to 11 o'clock [at the most]. The gain knob on either channel I find almost obnoxious past 2 o'clock - beyond that things are so saturated that there is basically no tone at all, just preamp.

Mesa's have always been accused of being "flubby" in the bass dept., but the problem is that most people don't realize that the mesa has active AND interactive tone controls. So they set it up like their favorite Marshall settings and say "this is terrible".

Remember the EQ is interactive on these amps so wild EQ settings don't do what you'd think. Also, the EQ doesn't really control what would be obvious. For example;

Bass is actually LOW bass
    Mids are actually low-mids
    treble is actually high mids
    presence is actually treble

increasing gain will increase treble and bass
    increasing treble increases gain, and decreases bass
    Adding mids, decreases treble, a little bass and a touch of gain
    Gain, Mids and treble are the most active pots, bass and presence are the least

Hope that helps!~

13. dave-o

dave-o Member

Out of all the bogies I've had this one will stay. (Single rec, MKV, electradyne) Very versatile amp. I would have kept the ED but it wasn't giggable for me due to the weight. The ROV cleans and reverb are what got me.

14. sbrett

sbrett Member

Great amp. Used for 4 years in a hard rock band mainly on the clean and vintage modes. More recently with a country band living mainly on pushed mode (surprisingly very vox-ish...actually prefer it to some Dr. Zs I used to own). I went with the combo. It's fairly light, can be very loud, and extremely versatile.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    fridgit, reverbking and ToneCaptain like this.
  15. gp81

gp81 Member

Great info, thanks! Seems like a winner

16. kselbee

kselbee Supporting Member

Just a PSA... I have one for sale right now in the emporium. ;)

17. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

Resurrecting this thread if that's okey.

The amp seems great. Does it take pedals well?

18. Dorman

Dorman Member

Recently sold my combo - very versatile and high quality amp, but the combo had a nasal quality and something in the mids/attack that I just couldn't bond with. I did enjoy clean, pushed, and vintage modes, reverb was great, not the biggest sounding 1x12 but a great form factor.

I found the clean channel took pedals well and the loop was good too.

CarlGuitarist and mlj_gear like this.
  19. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

You've been using an amp that came out less than three years ago for six years?

20. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

I did not keep mine for long. The cleans were not nearly as full-sounding as those on the Rect-o-Verb Series II 50-watt I had a while back. And I agree with Dorman about the nasal quality.

MmcGrouty likes this.