• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Mesa Rectoverb 25 Combo or Mesa F30 Combo?

yell03

I currently have a Marshall DSL40C with a Creamback Speaker and a DSL15C.
I just sold my Fender 65 DRRI and my Fender Pro Jr.
I'd like to have another amp for different tones.
I can buy a used Mesa F30 combo for under $500 or a new Rectoverb 25 combo for $1200.
I am trying to get amps that allow me to not use pedals.
I don't play metal, but I like hard rock.
I also play blues, jazz, and fusion styles.
What amp will fit the bill better?
I can see eventually parting with my pedals except for the Tubescreamer & Delay.

Here is my current set-up:

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
I don't have experience with the F 30 or Rectoverb, but have been using a Express 5 50 non plus combo for around a year now and can tell you it's one hell of a fantastic amp that has awesome cleans and takes pedals well, but also has its own great OD/Distortion. You can find some really good deals on them used, $600 - $700. It might be worth checking out.

Hugh_s

Silver Supporting Member
The Rectoverb 25 is a fantastic little thing. I've seen them running right at $900 used. I've found it to be a super-flexible platform and would recommend it, though I don't have any experience with the F30-so I can't really say it would be better.

yell03

I don't have experience with the F 30 or Rectoverb, but have been using a Express 5 50 non plus combo for around a year now and can tell you it's one hell of a fantastic amp that has awesome cleans and takes pedals well, but also has its own great OD/Distortion. You can find some really good deals on them used, $600 - $700. It might be worth checking out.
Bigger size amp than I want

The Rectoverb 25 is a fantastic little thing. I've seen them running right at $900 used. I've found it to be a super-flexible platform and would recommend it, though I don't have any experience with the F30-so I can't really say it would be better.
Sounds like it would be a great amp for me

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
IMHO the recto verb eats the f series amps for lunch. Vastly better lead channel and the cleans rock too plus it's small and light.

plan-x

IMHO the recto verb eats the f series amps for lunch. Vastly better lead channel and the cleans rock too plus it's small and light.
+1. Recto 25 owner here. F series aren't that good, pretty average actually. Getting a recto 25 for $600 ain't happening either.

guitarman3001

I have a ROV25 combo and a DSL40C. They complement each other very well. I can't speak for the F series but the ROV25 is excellent.

yell03

I have a ROV25 combo and a DSL40C. They complement each other very well. I can't speak for the F series but the ROV25 is excellent.
They are similar, both 2 channels with 2 modes per channel. That is why I think I would like it.
The Rectoverb is lighter in weight also, a good thing.

My bet is I would like the Rectoverb even more.

Al Rose

Platinum Supporting Member
+1. Recto 25 owner here. F series aren't that good, pretty average actually. Getting a recto 25 for $600 ain't happening either.
Agreed. The F series was just OK. The Recto 25 is a great all around amp. Expect to pay $900 to $1000 used right now.

On another note - The DC series is pretty good as well. I've got a DC2 with the power tube bias kicked down a notch (they tend to run a bit hot) and a 12AT7 in V1, 5751 in V2, and right now it's my favorite light (40 pounds or less) combo. Nice spanky cleans and snarling leads. One was on Ebay the other day for less than $500. That said, if I was in the market for a NEW combo the ROV25 would be at the top of my list.

Al

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
Rectoverb 25 is a great little amp! Lots of great tones from it for sure! I had the rack mount version of it for a time and tried the combo as well. The only thing that I didn't like was when you turned it up louder. The EL-84 setup tends to get a little "woolly" (not sure how to describe it other than that...)

The heavier channels sound great. The clean and pushed are beautiful on it as well.

Either way, a great setup and a really good looking combo with the way they did the grill cloth!

guitarman3001

They are similar, both 2 channels with 2 modes per channel. That is why I think I would like it.

They both sound great but the Rectoverb has several advantages. Each channel has a separate EQ, the reverb is an actual spring reverb and sounds great and each channel has a separate reverb level, it's smaller and lighter and much easier to carry around, and the build quality is better. Since I got it I've used it for about 90% of my gigs.

yell03

The Rectoverb 25 combo seems like it is calling my name, must try to resist at least for a little while.
I'll probably sell off a few pedals and my Fender Modern Player Strat HSS and then buy the Rectoverb.

ClassicLP

I currently have a Marshall DSL40C with a Creamback Speaker and a DSL15C.
I just sold my Fender 65 DRRI and my Fender Pro Jr.
I'd like to have another amp for different tones.
I can buy a used Mesa F30 combo for under $500 or a new Rectoverb 25 combo for $1200.
I am trying to get amps that allow me to not use pedals.
I don't play metal, but I like hard rock.
I also play blues, jazz, and fusion styles.
What amp will fit the bill better?
I can see eventually parting with my pedals except for the Tubescreamer & Delay.

Here is my current set-up:

Rectoverb is a great amp, and can do alot. However, it excels at metal. Sort of its raison d'etre. Mesa has the express plus, both the 25 and 50, are fantasically versatile. Since you do not use tons of pedals, the express has a great foot switch to go between channels, real tank reverb, eq on/off and a boost. The rectoverb has a simpler switch.

ClassicLP

Rectoverb is miles above and beyond the dsl. You are a talking about a handbuilt American piece of sonic engineering. Go for it!

yell03

Rectoverb is a great amp, and can do alot. However, it excels at metal. Sort of its raison d'etre. Mesa has the express plus, both the 25 and 50, are fantasically versatile. Since you do not use tons of pedals, the express has a great foot switch to go between channels, real tank reverb, eq on/off and a boost. The rectoverb has a simpler switch.
Rectoverb is miles above and beyond the dsl. You are a talking about a handbuilt American piece of sonic engineering. Go for it!
The DSL is a really nice amp, I am sure the Rectoverb would be great also.

As for the Express, I would only consider the 5:25+, but the Rectoverb 25 combo would be my preference even though I will never do metal.

ClassicLP

The DSL is a really nice amp, I am sure the Rectoverb would be great also.

As for the Express, I would only consider the 5:25+, but the Rectoverb 25 combo would be my preference even though I will never do metal.
Either mesa, the recto or express 25+, are great. Also, they are built with quality wood. The dsl is mdf.

theroan

The F-30 would have the better clean, but the gain channel is not great. I feel the Express series has the same problem. I would go with the RV25 no question, because the clean channel is still pretty good.

Trending Topics