Mesa rectoverb 25 - home usage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Keysersoze311, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Keysersoze311

Keysersoze311 Member

Hi guys,

Sorry for the boring and unoriginal first post. I started playing guitar again a couple of years ago, and am a big fan of gain on my amps, even though I am not hugely into metal, and it probably has something to do with the illusion of cleaning up my less than perfect technique! I play stuff like Hendrix, Clapton, Pink Floyd, Rush, Rolling Stones, Bob Marley and need to learn way more stuff, though I'm having some lessons as well.

My current amp is a Blackstar HT5-R, and my guitar is an American Standard Strat, and I love the fact I get (what I feel is) great gain at relatively low volumes. I may get something humbuckery in the future.. Anyways, I was in a guitar shop the other day, and I tried out a second hand Mesa Rectoverb 25 head, through an orange cab I think. I had it on the 10 watt setting, and I was definitely conscious of playing too loudly in the shop, but I couldn't seem to get beautiful screaming wailing gain tones out of the modern gain channel like I expected I might?! I have since seen videos online where this amp seems to produce beautiful, crazy lead sounds, but I'm wondering if it just needs to be really loud, say way louder than my Blackstar?!

I'd be looking at the combo version in any case, but if this might not be the amp for me, does anyone have any suggestions, for a 'better sounding', perhaps even gainy-er, amp, in the same low watt style as my Blackstar? Or am I better off with something else and a really good distortion/pedal set up?! I quite liked the look of the Laney Lionheart 5 watter, and it seemed to sound great. I just sort of had my heart slightly set on the Rectoverb 25, but am not sure it will give me crazy lead tones at home volume...

Many thanks, and I look forward to participating in what seems to be a pretty awesome forum.

Cheers,

Jake

2. BluesMan75

BluesMan75 Member

I would look at a Mark V35 (I have the 35 combo) as it has added features that may be good for you like can clone and headphone jack (for home).

maurizio likes this.
  3. mattz

mattz Member

I would would say if you like the high gain/vintage/yet aggressive a used Mark III.
    The Mark IV would be smoother sounding. I like both but own a Mark IV.

But if you only want one for home usage I really don't know. I like to have plenty of clean
    headroom and the Mark series amps definitely has that in SPADES!!!

4. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Some amps need volume for those lead tones. I own a ROV25. In cases where I had to back off the volume, I have used an EQ in the FX loop to lower the volume but retain the attack. Add in an echo pedal like the Carbon Copy for some depth, and you will have a singing lead sound. I have also used pedals with ROV25 and other amps when I had to control the volume. Everything has its drawbacks. You just have to experiment and when it comes to Mesa, read the manual and start with the suggested settings! BTW, the Vintage channel has great lead sounds so does the pushed channel.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  5. maurizio

maurizio Member

I think the mark v 35 combo is the Best!
    It has three lead tones that can work well even at low volumes and also a clean channel that working fine with external gain pedal!

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Where is home?

If you live way out on a country farm or in an industrial area by yourself or with a tolerant significant other and no kids then it will work for you. If your home doesn't fit those conditions then you'll need to take the considerable time and money to build room-within-a-room soundproofing. Otherwise, expect complaints from family members, neighbors, landlords or even the police. Having great tone at home isn't worth a cranky family, divorce, eviction, fines or arrest. Even a 5w tube amp can get you these things.

7. Keysersoze311

Keysersoze311 Member

Many thanks for the responses guys. I will certainly check out some of Mesa's other offerings as per your advice. Home for me is a flat in a block with plenty of neighbours, and I can't crank my black star, but during the day I can certainly play it loud enough to satisfy my soul, but just was hoping for something a bit more refined, and probably just an element of GAS tbh.

Lowpaygigs, can I ask what you mean when you say 'used an EQ in the boost'. Is this a pedal that allows you to lower volume, and does it plug into the lead channel decently?

Cheers

8. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

The ROV25 is incredibly loud, even in 10 watt mode and in my opinion it does need volume to open up.

gdomeier likes this.
  9. Keysersoze311

Keysersoze311 Member

Cool thanks. Would I struggle with the same issue with the Mesa five:35, even in 10 watt mode?

10. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

None of those names say Mesa to my ears, but I'd probably agree with the above that the Mark 25 or 35 would be better than the ROV25 for your needs. You would probably live on the Vintage mode if you got a ROV25. That said, I think a Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini might serve you better for the tones you're after and it has a better master volume.

gabipe15 likes this.
  11. Keysersoze311

Keysersoze311 Member

Thanks man, will definitely do some research.

12. halcyon

halcyon Member

I assume he meant "loop" and not "boost." As in, put an EQ pedal in the loop and leave it more or less flat but reduce the overall output.

This would only work with certain EQ pedals -- those with a master gain control (like the Boss GE-7, I believe).

lowpaygigs likes this.
  13. Keysersoze311

Keysersoze311 Member

Thanks. Any idea if an attenuator would be helpful in getting the RV25 down to home volume levels? Same sort of idea as the EQ pedal? If so, any suggestions? Sorry really not versed in this kind of thing.. Do attenuators allow you to select a wattage level for your amp?

14. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Sorry, I meant in the loop.

15. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I have a new ROV25 that I'm most likely exchanging later this week because I'm not really bonding with it. In my experience, you don't need an attenuator. The master is good enough to live with at home. The only form of attenuation that would be completely transparent would cost you another $700+. You're better off putting that money into a better amp.

16. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Attenuators will allow you to crank the volume knob but reduce the overall volume coming out of the speaker. The trade is that the tone gets thinner the more you attenuate.

FYI, ROV with a cab is a gigging amp but has a very responsive master volume. To quote Al, "it breathes fire." While I do think it does lower volumes nicely, you will have to spend time with it to dial in the EQ for a quieter setting. You will also have to balance the gain level with the master. Remember on the lead channels, there is a lot of gain on tap. So " be careful with that Axe, Eugene."

17. gbyrnes77

gbyrnes77 Member

I use the Rectoverb 25 at home just fine (head & 1x12 cab). Sure it sounds better loud but the low volume sound is what sealed the deal for me buying it in the first place. At different levels of volume you need to adjust the EQ. I find that at lower volumes I add more gain and/or mids. For silent practice I use a cab clone with the headphone jack or connected via DI through a mixer to headphones. It sounds better through the mixer but the headphone jack is good enough for quick and dirty practice. Of course the Mark V:25/35 have the cab clone built in which is convenient. The choice there comes down to which gain sound you like better. I like my gain a little grittier and loose so I chose the Rectoverb 25. It's a very versatile amp.

18. Keysersoze311

Keysersoze311 Member

Great, thanks. Is this considered a decent solution for finding lower volumes at home on loud amps in general? Sorry if that's exactly what you've said but just wanted to be sure.

19. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

It is a known and workable solution. Like anything, there is a trade off. Do not expect a huge oomph or searing sound when you start tailing back the volume in the loop. You're going to lose sound on the outer edges of the EQ curve first.

I would add that the ROV25 has a great master volume that rolls in and out gradually.

You mentioned looking for a hot lead tone, well be sure to try adding in some of the amp's reverb, which is very nice. Remember, the more gain you add with a Mesa, you have to lower the bass or it will mud up.

20. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Supporting Member

The Rolling Stones scream Mesa to me for obvious reasons.