• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Mesa Rectoverb 25 or Fillmore 25?

bluescube

Silver Supporting Member
Looking to get a Mesa head to use with my Mesa 1x12 mini-Recto cabinet. I currently have an Orange OR15 head I'm using with it.

I tend to lean towards more vintage overdrive and rock tones. I'm thinking the Fillmore 25 is probably the one I want?

I'm wanting a more "F" style clean channel and a good rock crunch channel.

Alpione

Silver Supporting Member
Fillmore will get you there. The 50 would have more headroom, arguably better cleans, and has a half power switch so I think it’s more versatile. But either is a fun amp.

bluescube

Silver Supporting Member
Fillmore will get you there. The 50 would have more headroom, arguably better cleans, and has a half power switch so I think it’s more versatile. But either is a fun amp.
Thanks.
looking for small head to use with V30 cab

Junta

V:25 is a better contender than Rectoverb I would say. Unfortunately all the great modes are crammed into the clean channel. The dirt modes are good but not great.

the party piece is really the crunch mode in the clean channel - insanely versatile and really good sounding.

good luck! Cheers.

jkg

Gold Supporting Member
This but if your speaker is a v30 the 25 is a safer bet. I have always liked the rounder cleans of the 6L6 based Mesa's for some reason...

itguy61

Gold Supporting Member
Having owned a 5:25 and now a Mark V, I would not recommend the 5:25 if you want a nice clean channel and a classic rock type crunch channel due to them being on the same channel where you cannot easily switch between the two. That is why I got rid of mine. The Fillmore will allow a clean on one channel and crunch on the other and so will the Mark V but the 5:25 won't.

The 5:25 is a great little amp with that one achilles heal for some of us.

halcyon

Silver Supporting Member
The Fillmore owns. The Rectoverb is mushy and toy-ish in comparison, imo.

Junta

I beg to differ.

Actually, I do not think we disagree. Have seen that Petrucci video. His surprise when he finds out that what he is playing is just the crunch mode on the clean is telling - that is the greatest tone in this amp. Add a treble boost (I turn eq off at that point), and instant JCM 800 like tones.

I like the IIC+ and MKIV tones on the gain channel too. But I happened to compared them to the tones on the Petrucci amp and the Mark V full size amp. In context, they are ‘good’ in my book (that is why I own one) but not ‘great’.

Cheers!

Trending Topics