• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Mesa Rectoverb 25 or Fillmore 25?

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
Having owned a 5:25 and now a Mark V, I would not recommend the 5:25 if you want a nice clean channel and a classic rock type crunch channel due to them being on the same channel where you cannot easily switch between the two. That is why I got rid of mine. The Fillmore will allow a clean on one channel and crunch on the other and so will the Mark V but the 5:25 won't.

The 5:25 is a great little amp with that one achilles heal for some of us.

Extreme channel with the gain down does crunch just fine. Most people don’t think to try it because of it’s name, but it’s more open, less compressed than either of the “Mark” modes on Channel 2.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
Have had both, still have the Fillmore. Beats the Recto by a mile. Dialing it in takes some time. Cleans are easy, crunch a little trickier, and the high gain I'm still figuring out. I used it last night at a small jam that we do on Fridays. I thought I had it dialed in but when I switched to the Tele (from the McCarty), the high gain sounded a little too bright without enough thickness to the sound (i.e.; No Balls).

Still, I never could get what I wanted from the Recto. The Fillmore is way more versatile.

SleepingSG

Having owned a 5:25 and now a Mark V, I would not recommend the 5:25 if you want a nice clean channel and a classic rock type crunch channel due to them being on the same channel where you cannot easily switch between the two. That is why I got rid of mine. The Fillmore will allow a clean on one channel and crunch on the other and so will the Mark V but the 5:25 won't.

The 5:25 is a great little amp with that one achilles heal for some of us.
I agree and really wish they would release an alternate mark V 25 with tweed edge and mark I instead of 3 metal modes gunking up channel 2.

with that said,what does mark II sound like with low gain?

SleepingSG

Totally different amps, recto-verb assuming you mean modern one has the twin clean, pushed crunch ‘vintage’ and modern.

the Fillmore is a tweed that segments the gain into 3 levels and let’s you switch between 2.

sounds to me like you really want the triple crown tbh.

sugarlou

Silver Supporting Member
Extreme channel with the gain down does crunch just fine. Most people don’t think to try it because of it’s name, but it’s more open, less compressed than either of the “Mark” modes on Channel 2.

I had the V25 and was unable to replicate the crunch using the gain channel. Its just not the same. So off it went.

Attachments

Judas68fr

Really need to try them in person, the drive feels very different.

I have the RoV25 combo + mini recto 1x12. Fillmore was fun, but the Rectoverb really works for me. Different weapons for different players, I guess!

Looking to get a Mesa head to use with my Mesa 1x12 mini-Recto cabinet. I currently have an Orange OR15 head I'm using with it.

I tend to lean towards more vintage overdrive and rock tones. I'm thinking the Fillmore 25 is probably the one I want?

I'm wanting a more "F" style clean channel and a good rock crunch channel.
The Recto-Verb has a fantastic clean channel based on a ’60s blackface Fender that can do some beautiful Dumble-style lead stuff, as well.

I think your choice here is mostly about gain, whether you want a more mid-high gain tone like a slightly tamed, more vintage Mark II (the Fillmore) or you want the full modded-Marshall roar of a Rectifier. The Fillmore is going to be a little more woolly at high gain, in my (listening) experience, and a little more Deluxe Reverb at mid/low gain, whereas the Recto can be both very fat, rich, and fluid or very gnarly and seething at high gain, and as the gain goes down, you get more into ’70s Marshall territory, like a later Super Lead or early 2203 (but with a whole different harmonic response in the mids and highs, and with way more bass on tap).

I think each Mesa is different..i tried the Fillmore 50 and it sounded good to me but that was not the type of gain that I liked..same with TC 50..the mark v 25 was much more fun and i’m finding them to be super versatile to use especially for covering a wide range of genres..

I agree and really wish they would release an alternate mark V 25 with tweed edge and mark I instead of 3 metal modes gunking up channel 2.

with that said,what does mark II sound like with low gain?
I understand wanting a wider range on channel 2, but they're hardly "3 metal modes." The IIC+ mode can do a very tight, spanky crunch, the IV does gorgeous liquid lead tones, and Xtreme is very versatile at lower gain. You can get some interesting Voxy stuff happening there thanks to the lack of negative feedback.

SleepingSG

I understand wanting a wider range on channel 2, but they're hardly "3 metal modes." The IIC+ mode can do a very tight, spanky crunch, the IV does gorgeous liquid lead tones, and Xtreme is very versatile at lower gain. You can get some interesting Voxy stuff happening there thanks to the lack of negative feedback.
Lol I guess, I can’t unhear dream theater / Metallica but I confess I’ve not once heard anyone play it lower than 12.

kselbee

While I agree channel 2 is versatile, I couldn't find a "regular rock" rhythm tone. On my Marshall I can roll the volume back for cleanish, full on for rhythm and tube screamer for leads while most of the time it's rock rhythm. I couldn't find that in the Mark.

DV52

Totally different amps, recto-verb assuming you mean modern one has the twin clean, pushed crunch ‘vintage’ and modern.

the Fillmore is a tweed that segments the gain into 3 levels and let’s you switch between 2.

sounds to me like you really want the triple crown tbh.
The Fillmore is not a tweed .

SleepingSG

The Fillmore is not a tweed .
Doug West writes ‘the Fillmore preamp architecture is ‘throaty’ tweed circuit of the 1950s’ right before saying that the low gain is set up to be blackface esque before going tofull Tweed voicing.

Randy described it as ‘akin to hot rodding a Chevy small block’ aka they took a tweed and made it ‘better’.

Doug calls it’s the ‘fender of our dreams’ a tweed amp that doesn’t get tubby or make your ears bleed.

You could really think of the amp as Randy and Doug do what Dumble did and ‘fix’ the fender circuit.

DV52

Doug West writes ‘the Fillmore preamp architecture is ‘throaty’ tweed circuit of the 1950s’ right before saying that the low gain is set up to be blackface esque before going tofull Tweed voicing.

Randy described it as ‘akin to hot rodding a Chevy small block’ aka they took a tweed and made it ‘better’.

Doug calls it’s the ‘fender of our dreams’ a tweed amp that doesn’t get tubby or make your ears bleed.

You could really think of the amp as Randy and Doug do what Dumble did and ‘fix’ the fender circuit.
Ok. I have tested the Fillmore and did not feel any tweed vibe . It sounded like a Deluxe reverb with more gain .

The California tweed sounded very good ,warmer than the Fillmore . I could see owning one.

SleepingSG

Ok. I have tested the Fillmore and did not feel any tweed vibe . It sounded like a Deluxe reverb with more gain .

The California tweed sounded very good ,warmer than the Fillmore . I could see owning one.
It’s definitely different than a Cali tweed but when you start to look close and twists knobs it starts to make sense.

The Cali Tweed is attempting to put a champ and a Bassman and everything in between into one box. You get all the classic sounds.

the Fillmore is taking the tweed in general and asking ‘how do we strip away the negatives and add positives’.

look at the cabinet. Small narrow. Why? Gets rid of the flubby bass. Then they tuned the bass knob so it can be maxed out and not ever tub on you or become muddy. Then the clean lo hi switches, the gain itself allows for a black face voice which is something a few mid knob tweeds could do. Etc etc. two channels .

it’s a Z06 to a Stingray. They’re both corvettes but very different experiences and designed to do different things.

Trending Topics