Mesa road king / death metal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by EmGee76, May 4, 2016.

1. EmGee76

EmGee76 Member

I'm going to the studio tomorrow to re-amp my dirty guitar tones.
    I normally use my Peavey 6505 and JCM800 (t75) cab driven by either a Ibanez ts10 for the fast riffing or a Boss HM-2 for the doomy stuff.

The guys from the studio have a brand new Mesa road king + roadking cab which i may use.

From what i read it should be one of the greatest amps currently available.
    But i have never played around with a road king and since there are so many different settings available i have no idea where to start from.

What are the most brutal settings on a RK? 6l6 or EL34 tubes, or blend of both and which preamp channel?
    And is the cab any good?
    I know it's very versatile but i won't be needing that for just my dirty tones.
    Will the closed 2x12 part sound just as fat as a standard closed back 4x12 cab?
    Should i use my boost pedals?

Tones i love are Hail of Bullets, Triptykon, At the gates for instance.
    So brutal and doomy, not so much the very tight technical modern stuff

Time is money in the studio and i don't want to spend a whole day tweaking an amp i'm not familiar with.
    But it's such a fine amp i really should give it a go.

Some settings to start from would be VERY much appreciated

2. hvactech

hvactech Supporting Member

Since you're paying money to lay down tracks I would just bring your stuff. Not saying the road king is bad but if you have never used one they can be kind of tricky to dial in, especially when you have different tube Configurations, different wattages, different modes, 4 different channels and so on.

But to answer your questions, yes it is brutal with tons of gain. For that classic tight bottom end chug go with all 6l6. You can get even more saturation with EL34 but you might need a ts to tighten the bottom back up. Channel 3 and 4 are what you're after unless you need some mild overdrive for slower parts but they csn still do that, once again there is a milking options. The cab is excellent, the closed part should sound the same as a closed back 4x12 if miced.

I know @niassist has one. He'd be the guy to ask

3. FPFL

FPFL Member

A few thoughts - a very different animal than a 5150/6505! A studio blend of the two amps could be great. I'd use both.

So for that rig, nothing will sound as big as the 4x12.
    That's just physics, though that much low end will get shelved off in a studio mix anyway, no reason not to enjoy it if its there!
    It could be inspiring to play thru and that matters as much as anything else.

For me, the EL34s are much better for singing leads and the 6L6s are better for tight riffs.

The EQ settings will vary too wildly to share on other variables. One tip though, use slightly less gain than you think you need. Get it to where you feel it needs to be for riffs then dial in down .5 to 1 more. It will track much better IME and reward the time you put into practicing those riffs.

4. mikebat

mikebat Member

Regarding the TubeScreamer for tightening the bottom end, my experience is that is is needed for the amp with 6L6's.

I say bring your amps too. Split your signal with a direct box. One into your current rig, mic that. The other signal will be direct sounds to a separate track. Then re-amp with the RoadKing, using the the direct signal. Try the Mesa with 6L6's and after with EL34's. The TS is the go to pedal to tighten up the Recto lineup of amps.

As for settings, try zeroing the bass in channel 4, second to highest gain setting on the switch, rectro tracking, with your TS10. It sounds unusual to zero the bass, but you may be surprised.

The RK cab is great, but try with your cab as well.

Good luck.

5. XSinner13X

XSinner13X Member

+1 to this.
    The fastest way to blow through studio time and piss off your band mates...?
    Start screwing with unfamiliar gear whilst recording, I say stick with what you know.

6. EmGee76

EmGee76 Member

Thanks so far guys.
    Just to be clear, the tracks are allready recorded in my home studio, were going to re-amp them.
    So it's easier and faster to dial in a tone since i can tweak it myself while my tracks are playing through it.

I plan on quad tracking (allready recorded all tracks x4) so i thought it would be great to use both the RK and my own stuff.

The studio guys really want to try out their new amp too so it won't really cost me much more than my day off.

I just want to know some great starting point for the most brutal settings on the amp, and i allready read some great tips here.☺

7. niassist

niassist Garage Rock Star Supporting Member

I've owned a Road King I and currently own a Road King II. This amp has what you want. For a straight up smashing doom tone I would use Channel 3 Modern Mode with 2x6L6's and 2xEL34's. Turn the gain to about 2 O'Clock. Bass about noon maybe 1 O'Clock. Mids between 10 and 11 O'Clock. Treble and Presence will highly depend on how bright the guitar and pickups are. Start with both around noon and work from there. If you find that setting too dark use the exact same setting on Channel 4. Channel 4 has 10 times the presence as Channel 3. Typically, I like Channel 4 for the super technical tight riffing. The extra presence allows you to tighten up the pick attacks considerably, but if you going for the more brutal sludgy doomy tone you're better off on channel 3. Feel free to fire away with other questions. I've owned these amps since they were released 15 years ago. I know them inside and out. Awesome amp! @EmGee76 @hvactech

AshMaui and EmGee76 like this.
  8. EmGee76

EmGee76 Member

Thank you very much sir, this is what i was looking for. I'll start from there.
    Btw, how about the bold/spongy switch?
    Which setting would be best for sludgy metal?

niassist likes this.
  9. niassist

niassist Garage Rock Star Supporting Member

I tend to leave it in the bold position because the spongy position tends to get TOO mushy with high gain. There's just way too much sag with the spongy. I guess if you used the vintage or raw modes and was going for southern rock the spongy would be good, but that's about it in my opinion.

10. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

You said it yourself--Time Is Money and paid for studio time is NOT the place to begin exploring ANY Mesa soundscape abilities.

Any Mesa search here will show you that Mesa amps are different animals and need to be treated as such.
    While I've never had a particularly difficult time dialing in one --except for my first one and experiencing the Mesa learning curve--I sure as hell wouldn't want to use one for the first time while the meter is running and the tape is rolling.

Hope you have a good session!!

11. cardinal

cardinal Supporting Member

Vintage high gain. Everything at noon. Bold. 6L6. Whatever rectification. Maxon OD808 in front with the level maxed and gain zero'd. Tweak from there, but if that doesn't deliver crushing (if not somewhat generic) metal tone, something's wrong.

LithiumZero likes this.
  12. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

use it all
    your stuff, their stuff. mix to taste.