• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Mesa rov25/mini rec and two notes torpedo live

lowpaygigs

Hi folks, has anyone paired a two notes torpedo live with a mesa rov 25 or mini rec? I am getting some conflicting information about their compatibility. Allegedly the dynawatt tech in the mesa causes rumbling, low noise and the amp must be kept at low volumes.
Any information is appreciated.

Last edited:

lemonpaul59

Hi folks, has anyone paired a two notes torpedo live with a mesa rov 25 or mini rec? I am getting some conflicting information about their compatibility. Allegedly the dynawatt tech in the mesa causes rumbling, low noise and the amp must be kept at low volumes.
Any information is appreciated.

You do have it plugged into the speaker INPUT of the Torpedo, as opposed to the Line In, correct??? You are using a SPEAKER WIRE as opposed to a signal wire, correct???

Next keep the master about 4. Still having issues? If so I suspect your output tubes are on the way out. Nice to have friends with tube testers.

I've used the Torpedo Live with:
1)RedPlate Blackverb (2x 6L6)
2) Marshall SL5 (single EL34)
3) Boogie Mark IV (4x 6L6)

Phletch

That brings another question - how is the OP planning on "pairing" the amps?

Via a stereo effect like delay/chorus/reverb/?
An A/B/Y box up front?
Slaving one into the other?

Each method presents its own set of challenges, potential benefits, and drawbacks.

lowpaygigs

You do have it plugged into the speaker INPUT of the Torpedo, as opposed to the Line In, correct??? You are using a SPEAKER WIRE as opposed to a signal wire, correct???

Next keep the master about 4. Still having issues? If so I suspect your output tubes are on the way out. Nice to have friends with tube testers.

I've used the Torpedo Live with:
1)RedPlate Blackverb (2x 6L6)
2) Marshall SL5 (single EL34)
3) Boogie Mark IV (4x 6L6)
Thanks for sleuthing my problem. However, I reiterate that I was told two notes live and mesa mini heads are not compatible, because of the mesa dynwatt technology. Has anyone paired the two and if so what were the results.

lowpaygigs

That brings another question - how is the OP planning on "pairing" the amps?

Via a stereo effect like delay/chorus/reverb/?
An A/B/Y box up front?
Slaving one into the other?

Each method presents its own set of challenges, potential benefits, and drawbacks.
Of course. But I have not purchased the unit yet. See above concern.

jpage

Thanks for sleuthing my problem. However, I reiterate that I was told two notes live and mesa mini heads are not compatible, because of the mesa dynwatt technology. Has anyone paired the two and if so what were the results.
I've run a Mark V and Studio Preamp through the Torpedo Live with no issues

Axe-Man

I had no issues with the ROV25 and TN Live.

You can easily crank up the amp as it'll take a 100w load. I ran my 100 watter into it and it got hot and rebooted but I used a little 12V fan which worked ok.

Mine didn't motor boat or anything with the little Mesa. I assume Dyna watt is simply Mesa marketing BS for triode or low plate voltage etc. Plenty of amps have this.

It's not like other Mesa's which run say 2 tubes in class A and 4 tubes in class A/B etc. The little Mesa's just use two EL84's so it's pretty much like most little amps.

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
I assume Dyna watt is simply Mesa marketing BS for triode or low plate voltage etc. Plenty of amps have this.
No, it's more the opposite, where Mesa is trying to get more watts than usual out of the power stage. But hey, who's counting?

Axe-Man

So apart from increasing plate voltage for the 25 watts, how did they do this?

I mean, what reduces the wattage? It's obviously triode, changing to class A or reduced plate voltage to pull the wattage down? It's definitely not like their amps that use dual stages of class A and class A/B in tandem as it's just got two tubes.

I chatted to my tech about it and he said he'd got around 30 watts from an amp with lots of plate voltage so I have to assume it's similar. Brute force basically.

No, it's more the opposite, where Mesa is trying to get more watts than usual out of the power stage. But hey, who's counting?

I have a Rov25, and a Torpedo Reload rather than the Live.

I don't use it with the Mesa because of those issues - I use a Power Station with it instead. It's either that some people can't hear it, or it's about the settings they use, or it doesn't happen with every unit in the mini rec family.

But either way, it certainly happens with mine. It just doesn't sound right. The attack gets lost, the transients are out of whack - it behaves oddly and just doesn't sound like it ought to, in a fairly significant way.

lowpaygigs

I have a Rov25, and a Torpedo Reload rather than the Live.

I don't use it with the Mesa because of those issues - I use a Power Station with it instead. It's either that some people can't hear it, or it's about the settings they use, or it doesn't happen with every unit in the mini rec family.

But either way, it certainly happens with mine. It just doesn't sound right. The attack gets lost, the transients are out of whack - it behaves oddly and just doesn't sound like it ought to, in a fairly significant way.
Too bad. Rov and reload would be a nice combo in theory.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
A while back I had the ROV25 rack mount and used a Two-Notes Live with it. They did not get along and the ROV went back, unfortunately. I've had no issues with my Two-Notes Studio and my mini-Jube 2525C so it was definitely the amp.

Szabo Wabo

First I've heard of this, and it interests me because I'm considering going a very similar route. Rectoverb 25 into a Suhr Reactive Load with a Two Notes C.A.B. Would having the Suhr Reactive Load between the two devices negate this issue?

I'm guessing I'd have similar issues because I'd just be swapping one reactive load (the one built into the Two Notes Live/Studio) for another (Suhr) but confirmation would be nice. Also, since Dyna Watt is only in 25W mode, would switching to 10W Triode make the issue go away? Thanks.

Last edited:

lemonpaul59

I had no issues with the ROV25 and TN Live.

You can easily crank up the amp as it'll take a 100w load. I ran my 100 watter into it and it got hot and rebooted but I used a little 12V fan which worked ok.

Mine didn't motor boat or anything with the little Mesa. I assume Dyna watt is simply Mesa marketing BS for triode or low plate voltage etc. Plenty of amps have this.

It's not like other Mesa's which run say 2 tubes in class A and 4 tubes in class A/B etc. The little Mesa's just use two EL84's so it's pretty much like most little amps.
Actually, Dyna-Watt means the amp attempts to stay in Class A mode until the power demands from it, force it into Class AB. It proudly states "Class A" on the back of my DC-3. I can assure you, the supply voltage is on the high side, not the low side. Mine sports 4xEL84s, the outer pair removable.

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
Hey Axe, you're saying two things in the last post. Lower plate voltage and triode = lower power. At the end, you do say higher plate voltage = more power. Dyna watt= more power... But the "marketing bs" says " in reserve for when it's needed in short bursts" or something like that, which tells me they have more/larger filter caps, which equal more "reserves, burst power" or whatever you want to call it.

Axe-Man

I thought that they would do that to get a higher burst as I didn't know you could get 25 constant watts from EL84's but apparently with loads of plate voltage you can.

So it's high plate voltage in AB to get the power and class A for 10 watts rather than triode etc?

So where's the voodoo?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom