Mesa shoot out F-50 vs DC-5 (15 years too late)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by el34junior, Feb 24, 2015.

1. el34junior

el34junior Supporting Member

For years I've heard about these 2 amps & I finally have both.
    Both are Heads.
    Here it is:
    F-50 Clean channel: Truly amazing entering into Fender territory. Quiet, fat & cuts thru well. It's pretty warm. Treble can be past noon & I'm not hating the sound.

DC-5 Clean channel: Sounds good, but not nearly as easy to dial in as the F-50. Even with the EQ there's a high end shrill that drives me crazy.

F-50 Gain channel: Pretty easy to dial in. It's a bit bright. At higher volumes it tightens up and delivers good useable tone.

DC-5 Gain channel: Hands down the most unique voiced drive channel I've ever played thru (in a good way). It's cuts thru a mix unlike any other amp. Lots of midrange which I like.

Winner is: F-50! The F-50 clean channel is worth the price of the amp..
    I can still get the F-50 gain channel close to the DC-5. I never thought my DC-5 would take a back seat to an F-50..
    I don't use reverb often, but the F-50 has better reverb.
    I used an SG & Tele for this scientific outcome..

2. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Never played thru the DC5 but I've had a couple of F-50s.
    I gigged an F-50 head thru a 2x12 cab for a while.
    I ended up only using the clean channel with overdrive pedals.
    It really was a GREAT clean channel.

3. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

The F Series wS one of the few Mesa amps I didn't care for. But the last time I played one I was wanting and looking at Mark Series amps, so it may have been just not what I wnated at the time.

I liked the smaller DC series amps. I didn't care for the larger DC-5 & DC-10. They were OK but I lked the smaller amps better. But the DC-2 I had was a good rock amp. Not the best cleans (very little headroom) but good crunch and high gain. Weren't the DC's supposed to be a "poor man Mark Series"?

4. benadrian

benadrian Member

I had a DC-5 for a few years back in the late 90s. I was never a high gain guy, so I sold it to fund my vintage Fenders. Better clean, of course, and I was fine with an OD infront of the Fender.

However, a few years after I sold it, I found that I started missing it from time to time. I still have the Fender, and I also have a single channel gain-y head. If the gain-y head were to crap the bed, I'd seriously consider the DC-5. It just seems like a solid, do-most, rock amp.

Cheers!

5. el34junior

el34junior Supporting Member

The DC-5 is versatile.. The F-50 is different than other Mesa's. The clean channel is close to a Heartbreaker, but better.. I forgot to mention the F-50 Contour switch. I would probably never use being it's oddly scooped.