Mesa Single Rectifier

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hvymtl939, Sep 4, 2008.

1. hvymtl939

hvymtl939 Member

Hi guys, new member here, wanted to ask you all a question. How do you feel about Mesa single recs? I have one coming in from a trade this week, and wanted some different ideas to try with it. I've spent a little time with one at a guitar store, but other then that my experience is limited. What kind of speakers would go best with this amp? Tubes? (both pre and power). Best boost?

2. hvymtl939

hvymtl939 Member

3. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Member

I thinks the Rec is a great amp, it has defined the Metal sound. So many amps have modeled their distortion after the Rec that at this point with a EQ you can use it as a modeling amp to clone almost any high gain tone available. For tubes the JJ Rec High Gain set sounds wonderful. You should find out what the FX loop works with, rack gear or pedals. If your a pedal person and the loop only runs line level you might not want to mess with it if that's a prob.
    Hope this helped,
    Tim

4. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I just sold a Single Rec. I don't play heavy rock anymore so it had to go but it was a fantastic amp. I ran mine through a VHT 4x12 w/Vintage 30's and it sounded huge and chunky. I didn't use any effects because it didn't need them. Great amp!

5. crockett

crockett Member

The Single Rec doesn't have the tube rectification that the other amps in the Rectifier line do, just diode rectification. I have a Roadster and I prefer the diodes most the time anyways, they create a tighter, clearer sound for those fast riffs. The parallel loop of Mesa amps people have had troubles with getting their effects sounding right. I believe there have been fx loop mods to convert it to a more friendly series loop, you might want to check around on the Boogie Board if that interests you (along with more advice about tubes, speakers, etc). The cleans are decent, nothing spectacular. But at it's core, it is the Rectifier sound. If that's the sound you want, I can't imagine you being anything less than happy with the choice.

Typically used for an OD boost on Mesas is a tube screamer-type pedal. I'm using a Tim with the treble/bass around 4-5 o'clock, gain at 9, volume at 4. I also use a TS808 with similar gain/volume settings and tone around noon. Rectifiers typically are low/low-mid voice, so use of an OD, even on the higher gain channels, can fill out the sound. I've also read good things about the Xotic BB Preamp, Bad Monkey, Power Screamer, OCD when used with Recs.

I don't know much about speakers, but I do know that Celestion V30s are what Mesa pairs with these amps. I haven't read much about people trying different combos and succeeding.

6. Traps

Traps Member

Loved and still love my Recto-verb 1x12 combo! It's resting now, as my '94 Knucklehead is pulling duty for shows...

7. hvymtl939

hvymtl939 Member

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm trying to save up now for an orange 4x12 with V30s.

8. sixtonoize

sixtonoize Member

I like mine a lot.

I like it even better with EL34s - they tame some of the fuzziness and tame some of the overbearing bass. The cleans aren't as chimey with 34s, but he gain channel is :love: