1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Mesa Speaker Alternatives

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CaliCaveMan, Apr 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. CaliCaveMan

CaliCaveMan Silver Supporting Member

Anyone out there experiment with speakers in their Mesa Cabs?

I have V30’s in my 2x12 Recto vertical and a 4x12 slant. As I’m experimenting with cabs and speakers, it’s apparent V30’s by themselves are not necessarily my thing overall.

So, anybody use different speakers in their Mesa cabs Besides v30 or black shadow? I love the black shadow speaker and have a coupe 1x12’s I love with those. I’d like any suggestions on perhaps a speaker mix maybe for the the two recto cabs. I’ve had them for years and just thinking about some tone search with speakers that are possibly a good fit in those cabs.

2. Pongo

Pongo Member

My very favorite open horizontal 2x12 is a Lone Star cab loaded with Alnico Cream and Creamback H75. They really compliment each other well, can handle 150 watts, and it's one of those extremely rare "best of most worlds" cab -- pretty much anything but the tightest and punchiest of metal sounds tops through it. Love, love, love it.

My only caveat is that the rabbit hole of replacing speakers can become more expensive than amps or guitars if you're not careful. So be sure you don't like your current speakers and that you really wanna try the new ones.

CaliCaveMan likes this.
  3. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I have three Mesa cabs. One has an EV, one a Celestion Blue, and one a Mesa speaker. I’m not really searching for anything any more except a good gig.

CaliCaveMan likes this.
  4. CaliCaveMan

I agree on the rabbit hole issue for experimentation. I’ve read the G12T-75 pairs good with a V30, but I dunno, that could be too scooped maybe, so any experience from folks is much appreciated. I know it’s hard to describe tone and what works for one may not for someone else, which makes the rabbit hole hard to avoid. LOL.

Christos Mpegnis likes this.
  5. Pongo

Pongo Member

My personal take on the V30 is that it sounds totally badass in a mix. It's a great way to cut through your band/recording like the proverbial hot knife and something about all the other frequencies working with or against it makes it sound richer, better, just... more.

But playing through a practice amp with a V30 in it gives me ear fatigue in about 10 seconds. That wonderful "edge" I like so much in the mix just ain't no fun when I'M the one it's cutting through lol

Just my experience, but IMO how the amp is going to be used is important to consider with all speakers, and especially "special" speakers like the V30.

AintNoEddie and CaliCaveMan like this.
  6. Russ73

Russ73 Member

OP A G12H30 sounds great with a V30 in a 2x12. I gigged it for years on a recommendation from the guys at Avatar, the G12 is warmer and smoother but the 2 together sounded great IMO

bxlxaxkxe and CaliCaveMan like this.
  7. tommyg

tommyg Member

I presently have an EV in my Mk3 open with an Emi DeltaPro2A in the Thiele cab. Best sound I believe I ever had was an Emi Red White & Blue in the open with the EV in the Thiele. But I love the cleans from the EV when the Mk3 is dialed in. The DeltaPro2A is clean too but brings a bit of warmth. Problem is now, the 1x12 amp is heavy as heck (the EV weighs close to 20 lbs) and really takes a toll trying to move it around.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    CaliCaveMan likes this.
  8. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Fane F70 and F90, WGS Invader and ET65, Eminence CV65, Jensen Raptor and C12K2, Weber do a 65 style driver which also can be had w. a heavy magnet...

CaliCaveMan likes this.
  9. avalonpb

avalonpb Supporting Member

One of my all-time favorite speaker combos is a Mesa Vintage 30 and a C-90 in a 2x12 configuration. The V30 is one of my least favorite speakers, and the C-90 on its own sounds pretty scooped to my ears. Combined together however the sound is just huge and full. I have a Mesa compact 2x12 open back, and a Fender Supersonic closed back 2x12 loaded this way.

CaliCaveMan likes this.
  10. CaliCaveMan

This has been my experience too. I have a TC50 with a V30 in it for the combo and paired with my 1x12 wide body (black shadow C90), it sounds awesome. This is kind of the issue I've been having with the V30 only cabs. It's just a bit harsh all the way around for me. I'm considering a black shadow C90 to pop in there on the 2x12 for sure.