Mesa Stiletto Ace

Miles

Opinions wanted.

I am dying to like this amp but have had such a hard time dialing out the harsh high end. It feels stiff to me and I want to love it so badly, but each time I go try it out, it turns me away. Channel one is great, but as soon as I go to the gain channel, on tite gain with very sensible settings, it just makes my ears bleed. It is driving me nuts, but I want to love it.

Your opinions wanted!!

Is there something wrong with my ears?

Miles

I have tried both the Ace and Trident. My music store lets me bring gear home to try for a few days. I had the same experience as you have apparently had. I too wanted to like the damn good-looking things. There's something about the tone that says "love me" and then there's that pack of razor-blade highs coming at your ears...

...Do you own the amp? If so, you might try some RFT tubes in the preamp for starters. That failing, maybe try some smoother speakers. What kinda speakers you got now? Combo or head?

No, I don't own it, but like you, I have a shop here in town that lets me take an amp home for a day or two.

The ace head is so freakin' sexy looking, but that shriek from the highs just hurts and just breaks my heart. I turn it on hoping that my ears will change their mind...but they don't.

It's like watching a movie that I love, but hate the ending to, each time watching it hoping the end will turn out differently.:crazy

3th3r

It's like watching a movie that I love, but hate the ending to, each time watching it hoping the end will turn out differently.:crazy

:rotflmao or like going back to the fridge repeatedly hoping something good has magically appeared.

shibby

Opinions wanted.

I am dying to like this amp but have had such a hard time dialing out the harsh high end. It feels stiff to me and I want to love it so badly, but each time I go try it out, it turns me away. Channel one is great, but as soon as I go to the gain channel, on tite gain with very sensible settings, it just makes my ears bleed. It is driving me nuts, but I want to love it.

Your opinions wanted!!

Is there something wrong with my ears?

i have an ace head. After a full tube change, any issue i had with it being too trebly went away. those stock Mesa tubes are ****. I'm running Tungsol reissues in V1 and v2, and JJecc83s in the rest of the slots. winged Cs for el34s. solves any treble issue, like night and day for me.

In addition, I'm running the head into a 4x12 splawn straight cab with Greenback reissues.

good luck, its a great amp once u get it dialed in right. for me now, its a plug and play amp.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom