Mesa Stiletto clips...

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by SgtThump, Mar 5, 2006.

1. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Finally got a chance today to record my new Stiletto and I thought I'd share. Both channels are using tube rectifier and bold settings, a Shure SM57 and a Marshall 1960B cab with the stock Celestion G12T75 speakers. Also, I added a small amount of reverb from the recording software during mixdown.

The red channel clip was the "tite gain" mode dialed in for a nice beefy hard rock tone. The green channel clip was the "crunch" mode and dialed in for a "smooth, vintage, woody, chewy" type of tone.

http://www.chrissnider.net/temp/red_titegain1.mp3
    http://www.chrissnider.net/temp/green_crunch1.mp3

Thanks,

Chris

2. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

3. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

4. RGN

RGN Member

Chris-

Those clips do sound great. I tried the Stiletto a couple times and was never impressed. Maybe a Marshall cab with 12/75s is the key! Thanks for the taking the time to record and share!! i enjoyed them.

5. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Nice clips Chris, I haven't really wanted another amp as what I have takes up all the space I have and sounds pretty decent, but MAN that amp sounds sweet! You didn't mention the other gear (guitar, pickups etc.) that was used with the recording? Sounds very nice... if I ever have some spare cash for an amp that might be my next choice.... :D Thanks for the GAS-inspiring clips man! :AOK

6. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks for listening!!! I'm using my Edwards Jimmy Page Les Paul copy with a Duncan Custom in the bridge on all of the clips but the Hendrix-wannabe clip. On that one, I'm using a Fender Strat with a DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues in the neck.

This amp takes a little bit of tweaking (like any Mesa), but I've found some real sweet spots. I'm digging it more than expected so far!

7. j37nm

j37nm Member

Those are some great classic rock clips. Very sweet! A great sounding amp, and great playing btw!

8. sosomething

sosomething Member

Finally some good sounding Stiletto clips! I certainly haven't been able to wrangle any decent tones out of the ones I've tried. It's got to in part be due to using a Marshall cab with 75-watters in it (probably my fav speaker).

You've got a great feel in those clips, too - nice playing!

9. guitaryy

guitaryy Guest

well,my semi local guitar center found a couple of stiletto dueces in the system,so they are haveing one shipped to the store for me to try out.i have bought lots of gear from them so they are being pretty cool.if i like it i will buy it if not i might look into a madison divinity.also if i do buy the stiletto deuce i ABSOOLUTELY WILL HAVE IT MODDED ,EITHER BY BOOGIE IF THEY WILL DO it,OR BY TRACE AT VOODOO AMPS.the hollywood store told me friday that the higher ups are going to listen to the the so called hollywood mod and see if it is sufficiant enough to pass the mustard .if not they might actually upgrade the amp as much as possible to come close to version two like when they upgraded the triaxis.stiletto sounds great in the clips but even jay at the hollywood store admitted the amp should not have been released and that it lacks gain big time.if you dodnt believe me call the store on thursday as they will have an aswer from boogie if they can do the mod.on the other hand i did here some killer clips of the madison divinity.eihter way i am getting a new amp.

10. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Hey Chris, how long ago did you snag that Mesa? Do you know if they are still priced that way? I think I might be taking a ride out to GC soon if that's still the price on it! Seems like too good of a deal to pass up! EL34 Marshall-flavored Mesa... hmmm! :D Wish I wasn't at work right now so I could call up GC... I still have their # stored in my cell... is that bad? lol :dude

11. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks again guys! I was real curious to see how this Stiletto recorded and I'm glad I got to spend some time with it this past weekend. It wasn't too hard at all to dial in the tones I got in these clips. As you can see, I started out kinda dark, because that's how I have it EQ'd to sound good in the room. Plus, sitting down in front of the cab makes it brighter, so I had the EQ set to compensate for that.

But I finally dialed it in to sound good when standing up in the room and that's where the tone got brighter (the last two clips). I dig it!

Guitar Center put these on sale around 2 weeks ago for $850 for a new Deuce and $899 for a new Trident. My understanding is that they flew off the shelves pretty quick, but you can still find GC's with them in stock. The price still stands if you can locate one. I can't believe that deal. That's CRAZY good!!!!!

Chris

12. leper messiah

leper messiah Member

GC isn't allowed to tinker with the price of Mesa Boogie products. If they got marked down, the order came from Boogie.

13. bailnout

bailnout Member

Nice clips man. I just got done semi-bashing this amp on another thread (right guitaryy?) but you sound great on that amp. I just couldn't get enough gain out of it to find it in me to purchase it.

Great playing on those clips too BTW.

14. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

This one is way cool.

15. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I never said GC did it against Boogie's will, so I'm not sure where you're coming from???

16. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

LOL! Thanks bro. My Duncan Custom pickup is somewhat hot and it gives the amp just the right amount of distortion for me. If I had weaker pickups, I'd need an OD pedal to kick it a notch higher.

17. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks Ed. Most people won't be buying a Mesa Stiletto for it's bluesy tones, but it can sure get 'em. :)

18. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

That'd be me-I mean-I wont be buying one-but i was one of the first guys
    to own a mesa in Canada-[creak.......]-so I just had to hear this-

nice playing & for whats its meant to do I really like!!!

JF

19. bailnout

bailnout Member

When I tried the Stilleto out in the store, I took my guitar with me which has a SD Custom Custom. I would assume that it's as hot as a Custom. Maybe you're just a better player than I am! :D

20. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I highly doubt it has to do with playing ability, but thanks! To be honest, I'm able to get by with less distortion than alot of people I know.